AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT room sits above my garage and is a acoustical nightmare. Despite endless calibration, speaker movement, audssey correction etc, I just can't seem to get the sound I desire.

I have never done any room treatments but wondered if there was a "room treatments guide" of any sorts that anyone knows about. Suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A good place to start would be the Acoustic Treatments Master Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1226757

Also, the sticky at the top of the forum: "Setting Up Your Home Theater 101" has many links.

From what I have gathered, for multi-channel audio, a good start is a nice large area rug that fills up as much of the floor as possible. (Assuming the room is not already carpeted) Next, cover the front wall with ~1" of rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. Next, treat the side walls to above ear height. Finally, bass trapping if needed.

What exactly are the issues you are coming up against? Echo? Bad imaging? Peaks and nulls?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
There are numerous parts to calibration and treatment strategies to consider when trying to shape the sound you want. You can often end up chasing your tail. What have you been doing that sound so bad in regards to calibration, and what sound are you after?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts