Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6510994

By Andrew Wallenstein

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - CBS Sports has snared the rights to the Champ Car World Series auto-racing circuit next year, according to sources, but it's not going to cost the network a cent.

Sources say Champ Car will pay the network $5 million to air seven races on weekend afternoons, and another $5 million to cover production costs. In exchange, Champ Car will get to sell advertising time. Leading Champ Car sponsor Ford Motor Co. will likely shoulder much of the costs, but not without collecting an added perk: discounted advertising time inside CBS' expensive NFL coverage.

CBS will take over Champ Car from Spike TV, which saw meager ratings from the circuit. The remainder of the Champ Car races will air on either Speed Channel or Fox Sports Net. Broadcast exposure is a big boost for Champ Car; its popularity has lagged behind the competing open-wheel racing circuit Indy Racing League, which has a deal with ABC/ESPN.

CBS declined comment.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be great exposure for Champ Cars to be on CBS next season. Hopefully for the sport this article is true. Would be even better if CBS broadcast races in HD.

I just emailed Mark Cuban at [email protected] . Maybe he can shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I bet that HDNet will still be involved. Since its a "time buy", the Champ car owners can put the HD races anywhere they want. So Speed or CBS really couldn't object if the HD races did go to HDNet. I would expect to see the Live HD Races on CBS with repeats on HDNet. I would then expect to see the Speed Channel races to be Live in HD on HDNet.

I could also picture the CBS-HD races being commerical free on HDNet live.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think the majority of those races were taped delayed last year too (albeit same day tape delay, much like what Spike did this year). I cant imagine CBS doing anything differently, so that makes you wonder how a possible HDNet deal would work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.