Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Currently, I have the following setup:

Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver

2x Athena AS B2.2 Fronts

1x Athena AS C1.2 Center

2x Bose bookshelfs Surrounds

All connected using Monster THX or XP wire, I forget which, from Best Buy.

I am going to order some banana plugs from here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Do you thinks these are worth it, or will they degrade sound quality?

Also, is this speaker wire better than the Monster stuff? http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Again, with the speaker wire, as far as the surrounds go, I was thinking about trying to find some white, thin wire to blend in with the baseboards, instead of the thick, copper colored Monster stuff - anyone ever seen anything like this?

Lastly, about speaker channels A & B. Right now I have my AS B2.2's on A and nothing on B. Would it be worth it to setup a set of Athena AS B1.2's on channel B and sit them beside / on top of the B2.2's? Right now they are sitting in the box - I bought them without ever having seen them as surrounds - needless to say they are a tad larger than expected, and didn't fit in the stands anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage /forum/post/0

I am going to order some banana plugs from here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Do you thinks these are worth it, or will they degrade sound quality?

The screw type might be more flexible as once you solder the wire in, its a pain to undo if you want to change something.

Quote:
Again, with the speaker wire, as far as the surrounds go, I was thinking about trying to find some white, thin wire to blend in with the baseboards, instead of the thick, copper colored Monster stuff - anyone ever seen anything like this?

I found a white-jacketed 14g cable from monster on Amazon in a 500' roll for under $100. I've used it for several installs and I don't think I'm halfway through it. It's marked "CP 14-2-CL EZ500" if you want to search. (quick search shows a lot of it on ebay)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree /forum/post/0

The screw type might be more flexible as once you solder the wire in, its a pain to undo if you want to change something.

I found a white-jacketed 14g cable from monster on Amazon in a 500' roll for under $100. I've used it for several installs and I don't think I'm halfway through it. It's marked "CP 14-2-CL EZ500" if you want to search. (quick search shows a lot of it on ebay)

In the comments, many people have stated they used them as screw-in types, but I might look for something built for it.

Thanks for the white wire tip!
My girlfriend will be happy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went into the comments of those banana plugs and a guy posted a tip on how to use them as screw-type. Thats pretty cool and I might just have to grab them, instead of the crimp-type I use now, for tight fits on overcrowded reciever back-panels. When I have more room, I use plugs like these.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

I not understanding why you want to add the B1.2 and sit them next to the 2.2's?

I would use the B1.2 as surround speakers and dump the Bose bookshelves and just have an all Athena setup.

The problem is they are huge. Well, not huge, but the same size as the B2.2's

They don't fit on the stands I have for surrounds, and even if they did, they are way too big. If I go to Athenas for surround, I will buy some smaller ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.