AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
don't know where to post this. Is it possible to change color of this speaker without changing audio properties? I'd much rather have the cone black instead of grey with logo. What is the best way to do it? use spray paint or self sticking foil? Anyone has any experience with something similar?

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
great question.

not sure. there are paints for plastics. at the micro-level cones flex and bend quite a bit during operation, so something that didn't dry brittle would probably work best.

alternatively, another dustcap could be put over the red logo.

6.5" for $4 on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-165mm-POLY-DOME-DUST-CAP-SUBWOOFER/131175738965?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29907%26meid%3D1b81466396e34a78a1279610d5016a09%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301296890097&rt=nc

or even over the entire thing.

though I'm not sure what size/source for something like that.
inverted might also work too if you can find a dustcap with the same profile as the cone.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't the cone somehow change parameters of the speaker? It was projected in it's original shape and weight. I really like the looks of 5gen alpine swr-12d, unfortunately they are not in 15" version, but i would like to get similar look, or any black surface, but keeping the cone shape if possible.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
the moving mass of the swr15 is quite heavy as it is. adding paint or a dustcap isn't going to change anything, materially.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i am not worried about few grams of paint and i would rather keep the shape(no dust cone), so maybe some paint that is a little elastic in nature? isnt car paint in spray that way? it also have to take on vibrations and stuff?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not to hi jack this thread but what about doing this on the DIYSG Fusion 8 woofer? I checked that link to the dust caps and they have them in smaller sizes that would work. Would it add too much mass to this particular speaker?

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Not to hi jack this thread but what about doing this on the DIYSG Fusion 8 woofer? I checked that link to the dust caps and they have them in smaller sizes that would work. Would it add too much mass to this particular speaker?

are you referring to painting it or adding another dust cap. the latter might not be such a good idea on a midrange driver for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Take some scotchbrite or 400gr sandpaper and gently scuff up the cone, clean it off with denatured alcohol, mask off the surround/frame with low tack tape and paper/plastic/etc.

A few grams of paint isnt going to do anything adverse to a subwoofer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
are you referring to painting it or adding another dust cap. the latter might not be such a good idea on a midrange driver for a variety of reasons.
Either really. I thought painting would be best but then I saw your link to dust caps and thought that may work good too. The fusion 8 woofer has a 3.5" ridge around the dust cap and snot drips that would be the perfect size for a new dust cap.

I would bet painting would have less of an effect on the sound though, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Either really. I thought painting would be best but then I saw your link to dust caps and thought that may work good too. The fusion 8 woofer has a 3.5" ridge around the dust cap and snot drips that would be the perfect size for a new dust cap.

I would bet painting would have less of an effect on the sound though, don't you think?
Companies like Acoustic Elegance make a big point about phase plugs solving resonance issues that dust caps cause.

Painting it is the better option although much more work with the possibility that you can't reverse the process if it doesn't look good making it look far worse than the logo. I have 5 of the SWR1522D and wouldn't take the risk. Mine hide behind grills that never come off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was doing some research for the Alchemy 8 woofer yesterday for the same reason!

I found people suggesting shoe polish and fabric spray to change the color. http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-248919-Automotive-11-Ounce-Fabric/dp/B003CT4ASE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I want to build some Alchemys with no grills but i hate the look of the Beta 8 woofer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can paint it with a simple spray paint. The "cone" is actually a very large inverted dustcap that creates a dish cone. It is paper with a metallic paint and clear coat on it. A relatively fine grit sandpaper could help with promoting adhesion of the new paint.

Please be sure to tape off the surround, so it does not get overspray on it.

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts