AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I'm running at the moment.

Center: Paradigm CC-170

FL and FR: Paradigm Mini MKIII (bookshelf)

RL and RR: Bose 141 (bookshelf)

Subwoofer: MTX SW2 (100W 12" down-firing sub)

AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-90TXV (base Elite receiver)

I got most of this for free as hand me downs and have spent very little on them. These replaced much larger bose floor standing speakers. Now, I have an opportunity to pick up a set of used Orb Mod1 Plus speakers with their 200W 8" Sub for $499.

I have been drooling over them for some time now but I wonder if it will be a downgrade for me to do this. Either that, or I will just get a better subwoofer. For now, that is what I consider as my weakest link. What would AVS forum guys recommend. Would this be a step down? I really like the aesthetics that the Orb setup would bring to my room.

Here is the room that it is all going into...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think spearitsound is blowing out the Paradigm lifestyle speakers (don't recall their name) for a fairly good price. If you are looking at complimenting your style and keeping the sound quality, that might be a good option. I like your tastes, never seen soo much clutter that still looks clean for a small room.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will stick with the current setup. I have no real complaints about the Bose 141 speakers. I think where I want to spend money is with a good subwoofer. I'm looking for a used sub under $400. I'll see what I can find. I use it for movies and TV more than for music. Any suggestions?

Blueboxer: Thanks for the compliment. These New York City apartment, you know. I have to maximize my space as much as possible. What you see in the picture is the bose floor standing (4000 series) speakers and a large center Klipsch. The room is currently getting an overhaul and many of my things are getting thrown away. I will take a more current picture of the setup and post it.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance /forum/post/17038181

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will stick with the current setup. I have no real complaints about the Bose 141 speakers. I think where I want to spend money is with a good subwoofer. I'm looking for a used sub under $400. I'll see what I can find. I use it for movies and TV more than for music. Any suggestions?

You can get a new sub for under $400. Perfect for home theater and movies! Its a beast too at 70lbs!

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

You'll find plenty of reviews in the subwoofer forum.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have had that sub for a year and it is very good for the price. Best $300 I ever spent on my set up.

Personally I like the sound of the Orbs and don't like the sound of Paradigms. So I would make the switch. Naturally it is up to the OP as far as what sounds best.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sub looks awesome, actually. I think I'll be set with that sub. So, we have one vote for the orbs and one for the Paradigms. This is getting interesting.

edit: two for paradigms

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance /forum/post/17039259

That sub looks awesome, actually. I think I'll be set with that sub. So, we have one vote for the orbs and one for the Paradigms. This is getting interesting.

edit: two for paradigms

Make that three

I think your best option at this point is to stick with what you've got, but upgrade your sub.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I've decided to keep the Paradigms and I'm very happy with them so far. I also changed out the sub to get the Premier Acoustic PA-100. It's a great system now. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxlee /forum/post/17156225

I like this Pioneer VSX-90TXV

It's a great receiver for what it advertises, but there are a few gripes with it. For one, it does not do the HD Audio conversion and the HDMI does not do audio at all. It is only a video pass through. It really doesn't matter because I use optical cables for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.