AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the remote codes for Media Center? For example, if I have 2 HTPCs next to each other, each with it's own IR Transceiver, I want to be able to use 2 remotes to control them individually, instead of 1 MCE remote that would be able to control them both....would that be possible?

Will be used with a harmony remote if that makes a difference...

Thanks

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
You would need an RF remote with assignable IR ports (such as the Harmony 890). You could connect an IR emitter to each transceiver and then cover it up with the patches that ship with the remote or tape. Then you assign each HTPC to a different port.

The new Harmony 900 will have trouble doing this because it uses an "improved" blaster that doesn't use stick-on emitters.

Your other option would be to buy a USB-UIRT and map a different remote codeset to it using Eventghost (or similar) and keeping the MCE remote on the other PC.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hum...i don't need an RF remote b/c i'm using hard wired IR Repeaters through cat6 run to my basement....plus not too fond of the 890 shape, i have a 880 and it just doesn't feel right, plus the volume buttons stopped working after 1.5yrs :/

will need to figure something out

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't think this is a possibility. You "may" have luck if each HTPC has a different TV Tuner and the Harmony uses different IR codes for each card. That way you could simply set up an activity for each machine.

But to be completely honest, I don't see why you'd have 2 HTPCs next to each other in the first place...?

·
Registered
212 Posts
This may be a stretch, but it could work.

People have found that you can turn off the OS's handling of IR codes from the MCE remote (and handle the codes yourself) by modifying certain registry keys. I know that isn't what you want to do, but bear with me for a minute.

There are actually five sets of keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57db

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57dc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57dd

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57de

These are, I think, each for a different type of MCE Device. There is a value in each for RemoteName, which gives:

...da ==> RC6 based MCE remote

...db ==> Samsung MCE remote

...dc ==> MCIR Standard Keyboard Remote

...dd ==> MCIR Japanese Keyboard Remote

...de ==> MCIR Three Button Mouse Remote

Most people with remove the CodeSetNum0 through CodeSetNum3 values from the ...da key, but that doesn't work for everyone. I think the some people are using Japanese remotes that use different remote codes (the Samsung MCE Remote, instead of RC6 remote). BTW, I posted some code on the EventGhost forums that changed all five keys instead of just the first, but didn't get any feedback as to whether that fixed the problem.

My thought is that if you can teach your Harmony both the RC6 and the Samsung codes, you could disable the ...da controls on one HTPC, and the ...db controls on the other. The codes would be received by both computers, but only one would respond. So Samsung codes would control one PC, RC6 codes would control the other, but to the PC they are still getting MCE remote input.

Like I said, it's a stretch. But it would be cool if it worked!

Brett

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have kind of been wondering the same thing as my HTPC and my xbox 360 seem to share the same "Media Center" codes on the Harmony 880. If I setup my HTPC as a media center activity, anytime I use that activity it also turns on/off my xbox 360. Have yet to figure out a workaround except to have my HTPC setup as only a computer and use a wireless mouse/keyboard configuration.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looking a little online, I came across this, wouldn't this enable me to do what I want?

Set Remote Control ID - To enable your Media Center to respond to a specific remote control ID do the following; 1. Press and hold the DVD Menu key on the remote then press a number button (1-8) for 5 seconds. Remotes with visible LED signal indicators will blink twice to confirm the change. 2. Enter that same number below. 3. Save. 4. Restart the Media Center PC. Note: To enable Media Center to respond to all remotes use the number 0. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.

* Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

* Registry value - CodeSetNum0

* Registry value data type - REG_DWORD

This setting also requires deleting the following registry values:

* Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

* Registry value - CodeSetNum1

* Registry value - CodeSetNum2

* Registry value - CodeSetNum3

Assign the remote the id, and put the same ID for CodSetNum0 for the ..da registry key? ... now I don't know if this would actually use a different IR codeset or not, will have to test it out, but seems like it might work...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts