AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the game here I have another question. I have read through about 70 pages of this forum and don't remember seeing this exact question:

The past two days using 411-Zones I've noticed that my 5160 is connecting to the network not during the 2am-6am time frame mentioned in the manual but at 8:25pm and 9:45pm respectively.

Is there any problems with the system connecting if I'm either a) watching live tv or b)recording?

If so, how can I change the nightly connect time so that it will go back to the late night?

Thanks ahead of time.

-Jody

·
Registered
841 Posts
Generally, the random times chosen by a 5000 series ReplayTV to phone home are safe, no matter what the machine is doing. However, I did experience an exception to that rule.

I would call this a bug. I missing the original airing of episode 4.21 of Farscape because my 5200 decided to phone home exactly one minute before the scheduled air time for that episode. There seems to be a time window where the phone home process will disable the normal program scheduler from starting a recording if it just starts at that critical moment.

I have also observed phoning home right in the middle of a scheduled program in progress, or in the middle of viewing a recording. I'm guessing it can even handle it while viewing an old recording, making a new one and sending another one out. It's just that magic minute.

And, while you can't really control it well, it does pay attention to being manually connected, and will drift from that time. Since I get up at 3:30 AM to get ready for work, I'll sometimes do a manual connect if I don't like the times it's using.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
915 Posts
The unit shouldn't be connecting outside of 2 - 6AM if you have a modem. If you're using broadband, then it can connect at any time. But, if using bband, it doesn't disable your recordings.

If you're using a modem and it's calling in at an odd time, I'd like your serial # and software version to log a bug on it.

[email protected] .

Thanks.

Lyndon

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by imax
strangely enough, I caught mine dialing in at 7am this morning...
Must have been out partying all night:p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did find the answer to this about 80 pages back buried in a different topic, but thanks for responding so quick.

Considering I have the broadband I won't worry about it connecting during my breakfast hours then. : )

-Jody

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
If you're using broadband, then it can connect at any time. But, if using bband, it doesn't disable your recordings.
But it does disable any semblence of response to user input. I have rebooted my 5000's on several occasions when I didn't know they were in the middle of an update, because they didn't respond to any button presses, even the power button didn't work right - picture a blue light on with no video signal, or a blue light off with a video signal.

Being able to set an "update schedule", and have the replay stick to it even when manual connections are performed, is something that a lot of people would like to see.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lyndon

Does this mean if we are using Broadband that the ReplayTV unit will choose a time to update when it is not currently doing "something" else such as recording or watching live?

Or is it a totally random action and we shouldn't care when it is going to do it as long as the update goes through. I haven't been watching when the unit looks for an update is there a screen message?

-Jody

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The unit will connect via ethernet without letting you know whenever it feels like doing so. If you happen to be watching tv at the time of the connection, you will notice some sluggishness on the controls (no response, then all of your keypresses at once.)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
The unit will connect via ethernet without letting you know whenever it feels like doing so. If you happen to be watching tv at the time of the connection, you will notice some sluggishness on the controls (no response, then all of your keypresses at once.)
"Some sluggishness" = absolutely no response to keypresses for a period measuring between 15 seconds and 3 minutes (I have timed it). Absolute inability to control the Replay in any way. Frequent crashes and reboots.

This general across-the-board "I can only think about one thing at a time" sluggishness is the 5000 series' biggest failing, IMO. Sure, there are a number of other bugs, and features that are past due, but if something doesn't work at least reasonably well at it's most basic function, then there is something seriously wrong. It needs to be addressed.

I'm just tired of seeing it glossed over with terms like "some sluggishness", "a slight delay before it responds" and similar statements. It's a critical, killer flaw, and must go away soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.