AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change the horizontal black bars (widescreen movies) and vertical black bars (SD TV shows) to a lighter color to prevent burn-in on my plasma. I use Media Player Classic. Is there any method of changing the pure black to a lighter color? Also, will doing these adversely affect my viewing experience?

Edit: I guess I want to change the "background color" of the player.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanguker /forum/post/13014880

I'd like to change the horizontal black bars (widescreen movies) and vertical black bars (SD TV shows) to a lighter color to prevent burn-in on my plasma. I use Media Player Classic. Is there any method of changing the pure black to a lighter color? Also, will doing these adversely affect my viewing experience?

Edit: I guess I want to change the "background color" of the player.

i'm pretty sure the black bars are sent from the disk, not the player software

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
YEs, any dvd that doesn't say it is anamorphic wide screen has the black bars hard coded into the dvd.

I don't remember if MPC has blanking options like zoomplayer does, but that would hide them (basically, the player cuts that part of the movie off and replaces them with it own background.) and I believe zoomplayer has the option to pick the background color as well.

Or you could just stop worrying about burn in??...

-Suntan

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Your not going to get burn in from watching a 2 hour movie. Or even 2 2hour movies in a row.

This might have been a half truth 5 years ago but technology has changed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Also, there's a reason that it uses black, I believe it improves the contrast. Obviously it doesn't actually change the contrast of your monitor but it tricks the eye.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the replies. I guess I should stop being so paranoid...but these things are expensive
. It is a recent set with pixel-shifting and I've given it it's 100 hour warm-up.

I've seen some temporary ghosting from the black bars, but they went away in a little while. It just got me worried that this might lead to something permanent in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts