Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

If I decide to get new/rebuilt tubes to my Barco 1209, can I do the tube change myself or do I need professional help to do this.

What, if anything, will make professional help nessessary? The liquid coupled lenses? The mechanical setup? Anything else?

The thing is that I will PROBABLY sell the pj, and I thought that it might be easier to sell with good tubes. But maybe it's better to set a really low price and not bother with the tube change? (A risk with the "new tube approach" is that I don't want to sell it, and use my SVGA LCD pj, wich I plan to do. :) )

/Olof

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would not recommend changing the tubes yourself.

I recently had mine changed, and found the entire experience very educational. The ISF tech came out to my house and did the work here (which was great!).

After watching him do it, and asking a whole lot of questions, I feel comfortable that I could do it again on my own. But am really glad I didn't try to do it alone the first time.

There are LOTS of things to be careful. Snapping the neck of a tube and having the liquid spill into your unit seems like it could happen pretty easily if you are trying to get them in or out by feel (without knowing exactly how they're supposed to go). Let alone the possibility of electrocuting yourself...

If you plan to sell the projector, it might make sense to sell it with the worn tubes but include the new ones as part of the deal. That way, the new owner could either do it themselves (if they're an expert) or have it done professionally and then adjusted for their installation.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Olof

I recently changed a tube on my 1209/2 myself and it is not that daunting a task if you are reasonably comfortable around Pjs.

Mark

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
MAke sure that you can get your money back out of the tubes. A set with worn tubes that is less money but has not been messed with might be worth more than a retubed set that has been misadjusted...

Curt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.