AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the Internet and several forums for information on how to change the vertical position for DVD subtitles. I would like to do this so that I can mask a screen to 2.35:1 and still have the subtitles visible. If I run Gladiator (2.35:1, reg 2) it will display the subtitle partially in the picture and partially below the picture (problem). Star Wars EP II (2.35:1, reg 2) will display the entire subtitle in the picture (no problem).

DVD subtitles are stored as images on the DVD and then decoded as subpicture data. I use Zoom Player with the Sonic filters and Sonic doesn't have any way for changing the subtitle position before mixing it with the picture.

I was wondering if it could be possible to have a Direct Show filter that takes the subpicture data from the DVD Navigator filter, manipulates it and then sends it to "subpicture in" on the Sonic Video Decoder? I haven't found such a filter but it should be possible? It would be nice if the filter had editable presets so that it doesn't requiere too much configuration for each movie.

Anyone know of such a filter or any other way to make it possible?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lordx!

I have the same problem. I want 2.35 masking, but I have

a lot of DVDs that have their subpictures positioned off the picture.

Didn't find any cure for the disease yet :(

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have a similar problem. I have some DVD's that have FORCED

subs!! they are not on the image, the discs give you an option

what language you want, but you can't choose 'none'.

Nicholas

·
Registered
82 Posts
By the way.

Subpictures are 720x576 images (PAL). They are displayed as an additonal layer with transparency. Sometimes subtitles are above the picture (or just somewhere on top). So scrolling up the whole supbicture is not a good idea. Squeezing it is a better solution! Sadly subpictures are displayed by the dvd decoder filter, and to do any modification to the subpicture, it must be supported by the original filter itself (windvd, pdvd, sonic etc...)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't found any working solution yet! And I've been searching a lot...

balagee: Nice! Squeezing seems to be the best idea. Why don't they implement this feature in the video decoder???

As an alternative, let's say someone creates a Direct Show filter (Subpicture manipulator) that accepts subpicture data from the DVD Navigator filter. The filter then alters the subpicture data and sends it to the "subpicture in" on the video decoder filter.

The filter should have som preset mechanism that can be configured for squeezing the subpicture data to a specific aspect ratio. After the picture have been squeezed the filter should add transparent image data to the top/bottom so that the squeezed subpicture image will maintain the same resolution as the original. Otherwise the video decoder might have problems with it (?) becaue it was expecting a different resolution.

I'm not sure but aren't the DVD menus also subpicture data? Many 2.35:1 movies have 16:9 menus and then it's not nice to squeeze the subpicture. This could be fixed if the filter had some hotkey mechanism so that it would be convenient to change subpicture aspect ratio. Similar to the 16:9 button on some 4:3 tvs' remote control.

I'm not too familiar with Direct Show so I don't think I will be able to create such a filter myself...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Still no solution.

Maybe we should pay someone to write this subpicture squeezer for us :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
BUMP

·
Registered
82 Posts
BUMP!

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only way I know of doing this now is to completely re-author the vobs in question.

This isn't necessarily a big deal, but 1) you need DVD authoring software and 2) you need magic to be able to put the result back onto a dual layer DVD (i.e. can't be done :().

·
Registered
82 Posts
:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.