AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the zoom amount in the Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 for the Samsung DLPs? With a number of OTA stations (esp PBS) broadcasting letterboxed HD material, it would be nice to have it zoom exactly. Zoom 1 is pretty close, but cuts off a bit on both axes.

Seems like the zooming parameters would be a SM kind of parameter?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
What STB are you using and is it set for a 16x9 display device?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Zoom isn't adjustable. Also, note that there is a slight amount of overscan on these TV's. Is that what you by cutting off a bit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No STB... off the air VHF SDTV signal.. They just happen to be broadcasting letterboxed 16:9 material (many commercials these days do this too...)

When I say cutoff areas, I mean that the original image has some detail at the edges that is no longer visible in Zoom 1, indicating that whatever width the image was before zooming, after zooming the image is wider than the display. Likewise for height.

The "bug", for instance, straddles the bottom of the letterboxed image and the lower black bar, and when zoomed, less of it is visible.

For all I know, it's an artifact of how the local station does their scan conversion (for that matter, it's British source material, and I have no idea if the local/national PBS redoes the telecine from film, or it's scan converted from PAL or HD)

More a question in general, because the manual doesn't say what Zoom does, exactly...

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimlux
More a question in general, because the manual doesn't say what Zoom does, exactly...
Until someone who really knows answers I would assume that "zoom" increases the image size in all four directions while maintaining the original aspect ratio.

In that case, 1.77:1 material would exactly fill the 16x9 screen. Anything wider would have to have something clipped from both ends of the image if the image was enlarged to fill the screen vertically. There shouldn't be any distortion but there would be a loss of detail.

That's my theory and I will drop it like a hot potato at the first hint of an authoritative answer to your question. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
845 Posts
There are different implementations of a zoom feature. Some buy a widescreen TV so they won't see the black bars when viewing movies. Only to realize that the TV's are made to the HDTV aspect of 16X9, or 1.78:1. So when they watch a DVD that is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (like most action flicks) they want a feature that will make the image fill the screen. This distorts the picture in some way, whether you are stretching the picture to fill the screen, or chopping off the sides and zooming in. This is not recommended for accurate portrayal of the directors intent, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from repeated attempts. Or something like that. Perhaps when you use that mode, it is stretching to a preset aspect. If that is for 2.35:1, then when you use it on 1.85:1 material it may zoom right past thinking it needs to stretch the further distance of 2.35:1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.