AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the location of my A/V reciever and now plug it into a different outlet. The audio connection for dvd and high def viewing is from my HTPC to my H/K 7200 via digital (coax). When the AC compressor kicks on, I loose audio for 2-3 seconds. It then comes back, but I get the dropout the next time the AC cycles. The AC compressor is physically located just oustide where the new outelt and reciver are now located. Any ideas?? Come to think of it, I don't notiece the audio dropouts on the tivo digital (optical) connection to the receiver.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I suspect you switched phases when you switched outlets. Your Air Conditioner is pulling too much load with the other devices on that particular phase, and the receiver drops just enough voltage to drop the audio.

This is not a good situation for any devices on this phase. If you're comfortable with messing around in the power mains you may want to try balancing it out a little better.

Clay

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kal,

I changed locations (from front of room to back of room) because I changed from a RPTV to front projector, and needed the extra room in the front for the larger screen. The only thing that really has changed is the physical outlet that it plugs into.

Clay,

Would a UPS (have an old one sitting around somewhere) help keeping the voltage from dropping too low?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram
Kal,

I changed locations (from front of room to back of room) because I changed from a RPTV to front projector, and needed the extra room in the front for the larger screen. The only thing that really has changed is the physical outlet that it plugs into.

Clay,

Would a UPS (have an old one sitting around somewhere) help keeping the voltage from dropping too low?

that will work probably, however, only for your receiver. Everything else on that circuit still can suffer. Incidentally, your AC too. This has probably been an issue all along you just now discovered it.

Clay

·
Registered
30,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram
Kal,

Clay,

Yes but that's not a good solution. You use the UPS when you have no control of some external influence. In this case, you should fix the underlying problem with rewiring and reconfiguration of your breaker box.

Kal

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Kal is accurate. Most outlets are geared for 15 or 20 amps with higher amps going to AC, Wahser Dryer, Elec Range, etc.. You are sharing the same circuit / outlet with an AC and the only way to fix this will be to run a seperate line to the location as fas as I know. I would consult a local electritian.

Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.