AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a HT system from JVC with a progressive DVD player/Reciever in 1 unit, powering the 5.1 surround. After I bought a plasma, I bought a Samsung DVD upconvert player for movies, and connect that to the TV via HDMI.

To utilize the surround sound I hooked up an optical cable from the DVD player into the JVC receiver for the sound output. But, the audio quality is diminished. I have to turn the volume up much higher to get a decent sound, especially when its just conversation. Also, the surround sound just doesnt seem the same. And also, now when I switch between the surround modes (i.e. surround off, auto surround, movie, music, dolby digital etc) I no longer get the option for dolby digital or dolby dts. I now have to use some default "movie" audio option. I do get sound out of all the speakers but it just doesnt sound the same.

Do you think this has to do with the fact that the DVD is outputting sound via the HDMI cable and then also via the optical cable and it messes it up or something?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Is you DVD player set to output BITSTREAM? It doesn't sound like it is sending a digital signal

Also have you calibrated with an SPL meter? If not, do so

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your receiver may default to the digital coax input for DVD sound. Check out your manual - you may need to use the setup procedure to change over to the optical setting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev
Is you DVD player set to output BITSTREAM? It doesn't sound like it is sending a digital signal

Also have you calibrated with an SPL meter? If not, do so
That was it! Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.