AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to try out a BD808. It is currently setup to be an RP. What do I do to change it to FP mode? All I have is the owners manual so far.

Once I get it to FP I was going to go through the Guided process. Any other pointers?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bill -

If the unit is currently a retro unit with a large cabinet, rear screen, etc.....then the answer is probably not. If it is a FP unit and the switches have merely been set for RP use, then the manual should contain the necessary information you need...quite simple really. If it is a FP unit, disregard the rest of this post below.

I'm very familiar with the retro 801s unit, and though have seen retro 808's I've never opened one up to inspect the contruction. The retro 801s retros are designed and built for rear projection only, and while it is physically possible to re-build one for front projection, it would be tremendously un-feasible for most to attempt to do so.

For example, the retros have short-throw liquid-coupled lenses which cannot be re-focused much beyond their original configuration. My 67" retro can go out to about 100" only. Also, the mechanical convergence adjustments are non-existent. That is, there is no way to adjust the blue and red tubes (e.g., point them more outwards via 'toe-in' or 'toe out'), so that a larger image can be projected and converged.

This I know for certain applies to the retro 801s, but I'm not certain if it is so for the 808 series, but it probably is. Some manufacturers basically 'stuff' a FP chassis with short-throw lenses into their retros. I believe there are Electrohome's that are like this.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. No, its not a retro. Just a free standing unit that was used to project from behind a screen.

Like I said I have the Owners Manual from the Barco website, but I can't find the instructions on how to flip the picture, either for a ceiling mount or from RP to FP.

Can anybody with an 808 give me some direction? I've got a few hours before kick off to play inside on a rainy day.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looking at spearce's pictures:

http://spearce.org/HomeTheater/Barco...JPG.index.html

There are three switches under the second board from the left which is the horizontal deflection board - you flip these three together as a group. There is one switch under the third board from the left which is the vertical deflection/sync board.

Power down the projector, unplug it, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before pulling those boards out to flip the switches. Do not flip the switches with power on ever even if you can reach them.

If you were previously set to table/rear, then I think you only have to flip the three switches under the horiz defl board.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.