AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am sorry that I posted this thread already, but I posted it in the wrong section so it is getting no views.  This is where this should have been. 

Alright guys, so here is my dilemma.  I have built a system in the last week, and just made a nice craigslist score which may change things up..

So here was my setup.  Did this inside of the last week.  This is my FIRST home audio setup.

Denon AVR E-300

Polk Tsi CS10 (seems to be really nice to me anyways)

Energy CB-10's as mains

Optimus Pro88 something as surrounds

Dayton Audio SUB-1200

So this sounded to me awesome on movies but lackluster on music.  Started doing some reading and searching and found a literally mint set of Energy RC-50's on craigstlist.

So now my setup is...

Denon AVR E-300

Polk Tsi CS10

Energy RC-50's as mains

Energy CB-10's as surrounds

Dayton Audio SUB-1200

Now I keep seeing that I should have matching mains with the center.  The issue is the Energy RC-LCR seems to be out of my budget, and I really have no qualms with the Polk center.  I actually really like the build quality on it.  I feel the RC-50's are nicer, but the polk for 99 to my door was hard to beat or so I thought at the time.

Would I be better off ditching the Polk which is less than a week old for the Energy CC-10 or should I just stick with the polk?  I may be able to get a CC-10 for next to nothing from a friend who works at best buy.  But the LCR seems to be close to 300 bones on ebay....  Are there any other speakers which would work well with my RC-50's?  I am not really sure where to be looking, google does not turn many things up.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You "should" have the matching centre for your mains...

...but if you feel it is too expensive right now

...and YOU don't have any problem with how what you have sounds

...then keep what you have and save until you can buy what is right.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1522950/changing-center-perhaps#post_24493351

You "should" have the matching centre for your mains...

...but if you feel it is too expensive right now

...and YOU don't have any problem with how what you have sounds

...then keep what you have and save until you can buy what is right.

Agreed.

But try re-configuring your setup via your receiver with the center disabled. You may find that running a "phantom" center with the RC-50s will sound better than the mismatched center.

I'm not sure that the CC-10 would be a good match either. Consult the Energy Owners Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/630450/energy-owners-thread

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno88  /t/1522950/changing-center-perhaps#post_24493389

What is a phantom center?

No center. Many modern AVRs will be able to compensate for that to a certain extent by mixing the center sound into the left/right if you have the speaker config set to no center. In other words, don't just unplug the center and do nothing else because the AVR will still send the center channel sound to where the center channel should be hooked up.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeno88  /t/1522950/changing-center-perhaps#post_24493389

What is a phantom center?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522950/changing-center-perhaps#post_24493406

No center.

And i thought it was a centre made by this guy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts