Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella's,

Would appreciate your comments a lot:

at the place where I'm working, we have built a theatre presentation that includes also video projection. The aspect ratio of the projected image on the screen is 4:3. We think that a different aspect ratio like 4:1 would improve to overall impact of the presentation. I'm looking for information on how to change this standard ratio. I've heard of masking, but don't know anything about it. The LCD beamer is a Sharp PGC45X.

THANKS,

Sjak Ros

·
Registered
839 Posts
The correct aspect ratio for widescreen DVD and HDTV is 16:9.

If you're talking about changing the aspect ratio in the electronics, you can probably do it in the DVD player or the projector, either one.

If you're talking about changing the screen, you'll have a problem if your projector is native 4:3. You'll need some kind of a removable masking system so you can continue to show 4:3 material.

Mojo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris Jones
The correct aspect ratio for widescreen DVD and HDTV is 16:9.

If you're talking about changing the aspect ratio in the electronics, you can probably do it in the DVD player or the projector, either one.

If you're talking about changing the screen, you'll have a problem if your projector is native 4:3. You'll need some kind of a removable masking system so you can continue to show 4:3 material.

Mojo
Thanks for your reply.

All projection in our Show could be done well in 4:1. There's no need to switch back to 4:3 or 16:9.

We are now using a 4:3 ratio projection where the upper and lower horizontal sections of the picture is 'blanked off' in a neutral blueish colour (sort of 'template'), and only the middle section shows real image. This creates a sort-of 4:1 ratio 'impression', but masking the upper and lower sections would be much better.

I was thinking about placing a physical mask somewhere in the optical pathway, but there's hardly any space available for that.

How can the electronics be changed?

·
Registered
839 Posts
If your source material is letterboxed to 4:3, then there's nothing for you to do electronically. The best place for a mask might be close to the projector, but this isn't something I have any experience with.

I've never seen source material in 4:1. Very wide and short. Interesting. The widest movies are 2.35:1.

Mojo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.