AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, my 12'x8' office is comprised of an L-shaped desk and a 5-foot wide, 5-foot high book case. If I dismantle my desk into two equal smaller desks and place the book case in the closet I have determined it would be possible to fit a smaller couch (loveseat) and install a wall-mounted TV. I would be using either a futon or a pull-out bed couch to make the room even more useful by adding another sleeping area.

I am wondering what would be better for the audio; install 5 in-wall speakers and a separate floor-standing sub or buy a simple 5.1 speaker set and mount the speakers on the wall.

Space is a concern obviously so I am leaning towards the in-wall speakers but eventually if we sell the house or convert this office into a real bedroom I will have to patch the walls. Wall-mounted speakers would be easier to "clean up" if the room is converted but would take up more space and look a lot less clean.

For in-walls, I am looking at 4 of monoprice's 5 1/4" speakers and their 5 1/4" center channel. I'd buy a budget 8" or 10" sub as well.

Also, I would need a receiver but cost is a concern and so is space so I am wondering if there is a decent slim-line digital receiver with decent inputs and HDMI out that doesn't cost a fortune. I will be connecting an Xbox 360 (component+optical or HDMI), PC (HDMI) and a HD cable box (component+optical or HDMI).

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For a small office/bedroom type space, I'd probably go for on-wall speakers.

Like you said... easier to clean up if you move. Also, easier to change around if you want try a new configuration.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I am begining to agree more with that. The room could change just with arrangement so being able to move the speakers around would be better. I guess I just need to find some decent satellites then and get the mounts from monoprice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking for a decent 5.1 used set of speakers for around $200. So far I've only been able to find them locally (Kijiji/craigslist); is there anywhere else online that I should check?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Check out the HTIB forum. If I remember correctly, in that price range, the Onkyo HTIB packages seem to be fairly decent.

You might have to up your budget $50-150 though

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'll take a look but I was hoping instead to just buy a 5.1 satellite+sub set of speakers and run them from my Pioner VSX-D510 receiver that I plan on replacing with a new Onky 606/Pioneer 1018/HK254/Denon 789.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts