AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...A real newbie here (1st post!) with a real newbie question (so please be kind!)...I have a Comcast Motorola DCT 6412 III HD Set-to Box with an RF Cable coming from the wall plate to the back of the HD STB unit. My question is should I/can I leave the DCT 6412 STB ON or OFF if I want to change out the cheap RF cable that I am currently using for a quality Monster RF Cable? I'm concerned about turning the DCT 6412 off and unplugging it (should I?) for a few reasons:

* 1. I've read numerous horror stories on the AVS Forums about turning the power off on this unit (...most ALL folks say NOT to...) as I'm afraid that I'll have problems restarting it back up and getting a picture on my Samsung 1080p DLP HDTV...and

* 2. I'm thinking that If I turn off AND unplug the DCT 6412 BEFORE changing out the RF Cable that I will need to -- after plugging back in and restarting -- reconfigure all of the detailed USER SETTINGS on the main menu of the unit (...the Comcast Cable Installer went through this w/me very quickly and I don't remember how to get to the right screen(s) using my HD DVR remote in order to do this).

I'm thinking that if I only turn off the power to the DCT 6412 WITHOUT unplugging that I should NOT have to reprogram the aforementioned USER SETTINGS.

Can anyone please outline for me the proper steps to change out my RF Cable so that I don't damage both my DCT 6412 III or more importantly my DLP HDTV.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It won't harm your stb to change the cable with the box powered on. If you unplug the box, it will likely reboot when plugged back in, and will take a little time to reaquire channel and guide data, but that still won't hurt it.

Why do you need to change the cable? Are you having problems with the box? If not, then there is really no reason to. A short length of functional RG-6 or RG-59 coax from the wall to the box will have NO impact on the quality of your service. The more important cables/cable are/is the one between the stb and your hdtv. Is your box connected to your hdtv via hdmi/dvi or component(red,green,blue video and red,white audio)?

If you have already purchased the Monster RF Cable, I recommend you return it for a refund. Monster products, while high quality, are overpriced and high profit. Cables can be purchased that are just as high quality as Monster cables but cost a third or less. Monoprice.com has quality cables. I just received an order of cables and am very happy with them. The larger diameter GE, Philips and RCA cables that are found at walmart, kmart and target work fine as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Raouliii. I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and not change-out my existing RF cable running from the wall to the HD STB...seeing that you're saying that I'll really see no discernable picture improvement on my HDTV.

I've got my HD STB connected to my HDTV via a HDMI cable.

Thanks for the cable/accessory website as it sounds like a e-tailer worth checking out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have that box, But mine is with insight, and i turn it on and off everytime i use it. (harmony remote does it automatically) I figure it will save wear and tear on the HDD, plus it seems to run slower if i leave it on too long. I have also Unplugged the box several times, and we just had the power go out about 4 times last week. Other then rebooting and reloading program information, there is nothing else you have to do. That said, you can change the RF cable with it turned on. Wont hurt a thing. Of course turning it off doesnt do any harm either.

Dr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.