AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a nice SR6005 in excellent condition and am running it with Definitive Studio Monitor 450 speakers for the front L/R.. After speaking with Definitive, they have stated that if there's a setting on the Marantz to change the impedance from 8 to 4 ohms, the speakers may perform better.. Does anyone on this forum know if this is possible and if so, where I find the setting? I have looked through the manual and cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
my knowledge about the infamous impedance selection on receivers comes mostly from here. This doesn't: no normal transistor amp has or needs anything like an output transformer to match its output to the input impedance of the speakers. AFAIK, the impedance selectors on receivers are there to mollify regulators who noticed that if, instead of watching movies or playing music, you drive receivers with test tones for lengthy periods of time they get hot at lower impedances (because they're moving more current onaccounta ohm's law). So what that 4 ohm switch does is limit total power available so that the amp doesn't get too hot. Unless you find yourself with a serious heat problem, leave it at 8 ohms so you can use the amps' full power, say for those couple of millisecond peaks that aren't all lopped off of movie soundtracks. It should sound either identical or better with the setting on 8 ohms (depending on how hard you drive your system. My guess is I'd never notice a difference with mine just because I son't listen all that loud.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK cool..thanks.. was just curious.. nothing more...the amp sounds pretty good.. When I asked Marantz support about tweaking the EQ they said to go into the menu and select Manual EQ.. and when I do, it's daunting...Would like smoother midrange with the center channel which is a Definitive CLR 2000 (full range).. I also played around with crossover settings...Any experience with setting manual EQ? Again, just curious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts