Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I currently have a Sony 1271 with 2500 hours on it. When I project a white screen (warm up etc.) I can see a small border close to the edges that are darker. This little burn-in is something that I have never seen when I've been watching a movie but only to know that it's there is really annoying.

Anyway, I now have the chance to buy a 1270 with something like 100 hours on it and the tubes are mint.

My question now is:

Should I buy this 1270 and replace the tubes on my 1271 and then sell the 1270 with the old tubes or should I just buy the 1270 and sell my 1271??

What is there to gain for me to switch the tubes?? What is actually the different between these 2??

Is there much job to do this?

Sincerely

Simon

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Check with Curt Palme here on the forum. You might want to simply rebuild the tubes you already have which will make them as good as new at a fraction of th ecost of new tubes.

Granted there have been some problems with rebuilding but it might be the way to go here.

Vic

VR Audio Systems

Phoenix

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
The 1270 has no hour meter on it. How do you know it only has 100 hours on it. This unit is from 1990...

The tubes are the same however, and can be changed out in about an hour if you know what you're doing. It is somewhat technical, so if you have never done it before, I would leave it to an expert.

The 1271 has 21 convergence points, but the 1270 scans a bit higher.

Check out www.projectorspecs.com for the differences.

Curt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curt,

I work with installations of videoconference and AV systems and this 1270 I know of is installed and taken care of by a colleague of mine and according to him they have almost never used it. Now they have changed to a LCD instead because it fits their purpose better.

If it has run 100 or 200 hours is impossible to say but he is sure that it is really low hours and there are no way I can see any burns what so ever.

I will also pay somewhere between $1000-1500 for it so the price is pretty OK I think.

I have never changed tubes on a CRT before but I've been working with stuff like this for some years and if there are some kind of manual over it it might be possible?!

What kind if tweaking do I need to do if I change the tubes??

Sincerely

Simon

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
The main thing you have to do is the astig alignment. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

Curt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I guess I can find info regarding the astig alignment here at the forum.

If I open up my pj, is it obvious what I should do to change the tube or is there some manual that deals with this?? I have the Installation Manual For Dealers manual but it doesn't deal with the subject.

Anyway, I probably won't do this now since I have never noticed the problem when I watched a movie so it will not make a significant improvement to me.

//Simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right John, of course it's lighter around the edges. It was me who turned it all around. Confused..... he he.

As I said I see this darker 4:3 shaped field when I project a white image. I have a 100" 4:3 screen and the lighter field is maybe 15 cm wide.

I don't see it when I use the pj only on warm-up for an example. Well I noticed it in some scenes in Vertical Limit as well, a lot of white scenes in that one.

From what I have thought this seems like a burn in or a wear on the tubes.

Planing on taking of the lenses tomorrow to get a better view.

//Simon

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had posted several days ago the questions about changing out my 1271 tubes. I have exactly the same problem. Slight yellowish 4:3 square in the center of my 1271 image. While glaring to me, everyone I had over to look at the preliminary setup (unfinished basement, projecting against a painted white wall, basic convergence and only an S-video feed from a DVD) has not noticed the slight burn, unless I point it out. They are more fascinated with the quality of the image.

Long and short, I can live with my burn for a little while before I start swapping tubes. I think that the HT junkie in me is more concerned about achieving video nirvana sometimes than actually enjoying what I have. Try living with your projector for a while and see what you think. I can't say if it will aggravate you more or not, but I think that I will give myself a chance to enjoy some films before I start screwing with it.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
A note to both of you: you can always fake it by moving the projector back a bit and shrinking the raster. You will then be using the worn part of the raster only.

Yes, this speeds up wear on the tubes by using a smaller phosphor area, but sometimes it's better to run a unit into the ground than spending the bucks and time to change a tube...

Curt

·
Registered
157 Posts
Curt or anyone else qualified to know,

I have a copuple of 12xx projectors too and would like to swap tubes from one to the other. I asked the local authorised Sony Tech about it (the only one in town) and he said it would take about 6 hours work per tube to change and set them all up again. At $100 per hour that's not a viable proposition. Is he correct? Or could a person with a paper qualification in electronic engineering from the very distant past but very little practical experience (read 'me') do the swap?

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bairda, I will probably do as you, live with it. It's just so annoying to know that I have this problem even though I don't see it, but aren't we all a little like this??:D

The reason why I started this post was to see if I would be able to change the tubes myself since I have the chance to get a 1270 with no wear for a small amount and would have been able to swap tubes and sell it for the same amount with my old tubes.

We'll see, I probably buy that 1270 anyway, have a weekend place where I'm planning to build a dedicated HT room in time.

Sincerely

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.