AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from vacation and Survivor, on Channel 6 was grainy and snowy on dark scenes! CA did not work and I never had this on ch 6 before.

Do any of the Channel 6 issues address this or is it a new problem?

I will try an amp as 5 and 7 are fine, as well as the rest of the house and the other 2 5040's.

TIA

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Quote:
We just got back from vacation and Survivor, on Channel 6 was grainy and snowy on dark scenes! CA did not work and I never had this on ch 6 before.
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Channel 6 on the tuner. I can not record/watch anything off cable channel 6, which in my area is KICU... an independent station that shows many Oakland A's games.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there is NO cure? I do not believe that I had trouble with our CBS (CH 6) on other 5040's? I may try the amp anyway!!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Some people have had luck with an amp, some with an FM trap (since ch 6 is near the FM radio band). I do believe DNNA is currently working in this.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WELL!! I don't know if something changed or not but ALL 3 of my 5040's have this now! I will see what I can do, but unless DNNA can send us a trap (if they fix it) I do not know how it can be fixed in software!

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Some people have had luck with an amp, some with an FM trap (since ch 6 is near the FM radio band). I do believe DNNA is currently working in this.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
You had three working boxes and they all failed on ch 6 at the same time?! I assume you've checked the cable signal directly? :)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is ONLY the 5040's. The direct cable to the TV's is fine (and the...excuse the expression...VCR's).

Perhaps I never did record CBS 'til now...maybe I always had the issue and did not notice it.

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
You had three working boxes and they all failed on ch 6 at the same time?! I assume you've checked the cable signal directly? :)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Hm.... if you can wait, you might want to wait until 5.1 comes out to see if that fixes it... some time "soon", no date set. I'd hate to go through a lot of FM trap fiddling until I was sure I had to (next release didn't fix it, etc.).

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I hear what you are saying, but how can they make a software fix for this? I know the Radio Shack TRAPS are only

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
In my experience trying to solve the channel 6 problem I've found the FM Trap to bring back channel 6, but then channel 7, 99, and one or two others suddenly have heavy pixy snow.

I've also tried an signal attenuator or whatever. It's a thing that lets you turn down the strength of antenna signal comming in to the replay. It also brings back channel 6 and introduces pixy snow.

If you are lucky you can get channel 6 with one of the two above (using them together in various orders only seem to make things worse) then take the thing off...and you will still have channel 6..maybe. I've been able to do this and get channel 6 back, but it doesn't last long. I've heard someone report that they got channel 6 back forever.. he never followed up on the 'forever' though. I've seen another post claiming they got channel 6 back forever too, but later they reported that it went bad again after the warrenty expired.

cow

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
The tuner is largely (I don't know *how* largely) driven by software. I had the ch 44 problem (all channels above 44 were a crappy 44) and 5.0/110 fixed that. (It didn't fix it for all of those with problems.) So, it's not a pure hardware solution.

Cow gives a good summary of the current state. Each release does, also, improve the tuner problems. However, if I had an old VCR around to use as an external tuner, I'd go there for a bit. Up to you whether you want to play with FM and amps, of course! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I did put a trap in and it helped a lot. I will see what happens tomorrow. I was able to record CH6 it just had a lot of grain/noise and CA would not work because of this noise. I will see how well it records tomorrow. What I can not understand is how this tuner can have so many issues. TV's and VCR's have dealt with this for years. Also, software can fix varactor tuners...maybe the ch6 thing is a little off freq. I did this once on purpose...not Replaytv related! :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This is a known issue with channels 6 and 44. They are very packed frequencies, and the interference can cause problems in the analog to digital conversion. You can go over to the TiVo forum and find people complaining about it over there as well (though seemingly fewer).

Replay has stated they're trying to address the problem in software, and most likely they'll be able to get it fixed for many people...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if this will solve _your_ problem, but I've "lost" channel 6 here a few times ("no signal detected") on my Replay 2030 and my PVHS2000, and I found that by purging the channel guide and forcing a net connect would fix the problem:

Do a 243-zones and hit "Clear Channel Guide",

let the unit reboot

Then do a force net connect

some people have found that doing the Clear Channel Guide 2x works better, but 1x has always worked for me.

I hope that helps...

tarl_cabot

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigRoN
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Channel 6 on the tuner. I can not record/watch anything off cable channel 6, which in my area is KICU... an independent station that shows many Oakland A's games.
Woooo hoooo, Go SOX! :D

How's that for a worthless post?!?!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, my CH 6 was not gone...just noisy/snowy. I did add the filter and Survivor did record last night OK and pic was OK as well. I did notice that CA worked only once...perhaps a show related issue as it works fine most times on other shows.

Go 9'ers (but I do not think they are reading this)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.