AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as some of you may know I set up my inuke3000 today and hooked up a Martycube to it and was expecting one thing and got another. It seemed like it was lacking power. I tried many different settings and some of the folks here walked me others and it got better but still not as loud as I expected. So after playing around some more tonight I notice on the setup page that the meter for the B channel input and output is about 1/2 the amount of the A Channel meter. So I thought that maybe the wire was bad, switched the wire and the same problem with the B channel. My receiver has dual subwoofer outputs which are plugged into the inuke using XLR to RCA cables. I thought that maybe that maybe the output on my receiver is bad so I switched between the subwoofer outputs on the receiver and nothing. No matter what combination I set, it seems that Channel B on the receiver is getting less input. I have my 1 subwoofer connected to channel B. I plan on having 2 but for right now I have only 1. When I switched the subwoofer to channel A output on the amplifer the volume got significantly higher with the gains all set the same. Any idea why the ampliers B channel might be getting less signal than the A channel? The wires I am using have a row of arrows going from XLR to RCA, almost as if indicating that they are one-way wires and the signal should be going the other way from RCA to XLR. Could this be it?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I started to read some post from people on Amazon about this amp and some of them where saying something about the crossover on this amp only works for the subwoofer output which is on Channel A only? This is how I have my set up connected. Maybe I have it connected wrong? I have the dual 2ohm subs ran in series to 4ohm. I plan on having 2 subs in separate boxes.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Did you try AVR Sub out 1 to iNuke input B, and AVR Sub out 2 to iNuke input A? My guess is the problem will follow the AVR Sub out 2 route, and iNuke channel A signal will be low. Sounds like an AVR Sub out 2 issue not getting enough signal to the iNuke. If that's the case, your AVR settings aren't right or has a problem.

Also try Dual Mono instead of Stereo on the iNuke. The arrows on the cable do not indicate signal flow.

"So I started to read some post from people on Amazon about this amp and some of them where saying something about the crossover on this amp only works for the subwoofer output which is on Channel A only?"

That doesn't make any sense. Set your crossover on the AVR, not the iNuke. iNuke channel A input or channel B input will work with either AVR sub 1 or 2 output - how would the iNuke know which AVR output the signal is coming from? You can run an RCA splitter from AVR Sub out 1 to both iNuke channels if your AVR signal is high enough.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Your best route would be to look through inuke 3000 threads and pm people who seem to know what to do. Guys like archea , carp , and some others. You want people who own the same amp.

The solution could be your wiring is wrong , not enough signal from avr to amp , etc.. I don't know and I am not strong in the hookup department .

When you were on channel a was the bass good ? I would leave it on channel a and break in the driver.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just re-read your post. Are you running 1 sub or 2? Your post says one, but your diagram shows 2.

If you're running 1 sub, just use AVR Sub out 1 to iNuke channel A, with no cable to channel B.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
so let's recap:

if you play some content out sub A on the avr and input into channel A on the inuke, you get a good level.

then using the same output on the avr (sub A) and the same cable...when you switch over to channel B input on the inuke, the level falls dramatically?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright guys, I cannot thank you enough for the help. I stopped trying to figure it out last night about 2am. I tried A to B, 1 to 2, and everything in between. I even brought in an older Teac receiver with Sub output from the garage and tried it. This morning I found the problem! At least I think its the reason this happened. The cables are good, the outputs are good and so are the inputs.

Here is the what I found. The knobs in the front of the amplifier don't only control the output level of the amp it also somehow controls the input level. I can kind of see how it relates but don't know why it would be this way. I am assuming that the knob is an input level knob and by controlling the input you control the output.

So what was happening was that I had the input level on Channel A all the way up because it was that way when I put the amp in and since I Was not using a sub on that channel I had not touched it, The level on Channel B was set to 3/4, not full like Channel A. I found this out this morning when I turned it on at 6am again trying to figure it out, the volume was too high and I thought I would wake everyone up so I jumped for the knob in front of the amp and lowered it, when I did this I saw the input meter on the amp go even lower. Bingo!

So is this correct? Can someone confirm that this is the case, that knob controls the input not the output?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24416985

Alright guys, I cannot thank you enough for the help. I stopped trying to figure it out last night about 2am. I tried A to B, 1 to 2, and everything in between. I even brought in an older Teac receiver with Sub output from the garage and tried it. This morning I found the problem! At least I think its the reason this happened. The cables are good, the outputs are good and so are the inputs.

Here is the what I found. The knobs in the front of the amplifier don't only control the output level of the amp it also somehow controls the input level. I can kind of see how it relates but don't know why it would be this way. I am assuming that the knob is an input level knob and by controlling the input you control the output.

So what was happening was that I had the input level on Channel A all the way up because it was that way when I put the amp in and since I Was not using a sub on that channel I had not touched it, The level on Channel B was set to 3/4, not full like Channel A. I found this out this morning when I turned it on at 6am again trying to figure it out, the volume was too high and I thought I would wake everyone up so I jumped for the knob in front of the amp and lowered it, when I did this I saw the input meter on the amp go even lower. Bingo!

So is this correct? Can someone confirm that this is the case, that knob controls the input not the output?

Most definitely controls the input as I'm staring at the user manual right now and the description for the knobs is as follows:

CH A/CH B CONTROLS

Adjust the input level. To increase

Signal gain, rotate the knobs clockwise....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is the one for each channel but it controls the input level which in turn raises the output level. Im confused but it works.
I already hear the sub breaking in. Its smoother and warmer if that makes any sense. At low volumes it just adds enough umh! Nice and tight on some Jazz sons. Love it!!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexST  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24417124

Most definitely controls the input as I'm staring at the user manual right now and the description for the knobs is as follows:

CH A/CH B CONTROLS

Adjust the input level. To increase

Signal gain, rotate the knobs clockwise....

Thanks Rex, I guess I should of read the manual a little better. I was tired and overwhelmed yesterday. Thanks for the help. I think all is good now.

Question thought, I know Flynn says he has his at 3/4 is this the best thing to do or should I go full on it and control the level with the receiver Sub Level option?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Where the gain is located in the chain really doesn't matter sorta "relative" in a theoretical simulation. However, where you apply that gain when dealing with real circuits and real DSP code, it starts to matter. By putting the gain up front they can put limiters/tweaks in play earlier they can "wave shape" a bit better before it its the primary amp stage. Furthermore it allows them to give the main AMP a fixed gain which makes doing the closed loop controls a lot easier which is what most modern class D amps do.

An advantage of setting the limit at the PA that is front end limited is that you can protect your speaker a bit easier from a "bad setting".

Lots of reasons why they do what they do in many PA's. Some may apply to you and some may not. But realize the reason they do them is they don't like angry phone calls from customers. It is a lot easier to explain "fix your nobs" vs "you broke your speakers".

Glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: cessna1466u

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working/0_100#post_24417138

It is the one for each channel but it controls the input level which in turn raises the output level. Im confused but it works.
I already hear the sub breaking in. Its smoother and warmer if that makes any sense. At low volumes it just adds enough umh! Nice and tight on some Jazz sons. Love it!!!

Those knobs are input level, as was mentioned. This is pretty universal on pro-amps. And, they are typically attenuators, not gain knobs. By turning them all the way up, you are not amplifying the input signal coming into the amp, you are only allowing the full signal to come in without limiting it. If you think of it as a water hose, setting the knob at 50% will only allow 50% of the "full stream of water" through to the input circuits in the amp. If you set the knobs all the way clockwise, you are not restricting the "water flow" at all and the input circuits in the amp will receive 100% of what your AVR is sending to it.

My preference, as is many folks on here, is to set the knobs fully clockwise and adjust (increase or attenuate) the sub out level via the AVR.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24417651

Those knobs are input level, as was mentioned. This is pretty universal on pro-amps. And, they are typically attenuators, not gain knobs. By turning them all the way up, you are not amplifying the input signal coming into the amp, you are only allowing the full signal to come in without limiting it. If you think of it as a water hose, setting the knob at 50% will only allow 50% of the "full stream of water" through to the input circuits in the amp. If you set the knobs all the way clockwise, you are not restricting the "water flow" at all and the input circuits in the amp will receive 100% of what your AVR is sending to it.

My preference, as is many folks on here, is to set the knobs fully clockwise and adjust (increase or attenuate) the sub out level via the AVR.

Thank you, I think this is what I will do. It will explain my initial problem of not enough output. I thought I had something plugged in wrong because the sub was not loud enough. I now am in subwoofer heaven. Knob on high and controlling it from the avr. I love it!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Happy to hear you resolved your issue and are enjoying your sub! Sorry I didn't think of checking the gains. And don't feel bad, I've gone through tremendous pains and obvious mistakes in setting up new gear - it's all good when you learn from it.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24417831

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24417651

Thank you, I think this is what I will do. It will explain my initial problem of not enough output. I thought I had something plugged in wrong because the sub was not loud enough. I now am in subwoofer heaven. Knob on high and controlling it from the avr. I love it!

Without any dsp boost you can probably run gains full and not clip too much. You don't want the red clip light staying on constant . Only.flickering during heavy bass scenes. Once you add some dsp boost your amp might clip more. Then turn down the gains to about 3/4 or wherever it stops clipping. Glad to see your in sub heaven . Remember back when you were wondering weather it would be worth it ????

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1520084/channel-b-on-inuke-not-working#post_24418951

The good old days, last week. When you say adding DSP game do you mean and I activate the parametric EQ and set levels with that?

Just try this ,

On the amp scroll through the menus to the peq. Go to 2nd peq and set to 20hz and boost 2-3dbs.

Then 35,50,65,80 hz and boost 2-3dbs. Give a listen and see the difference .

Then turn down different hz. Without a spl or mic you can't dial it in but you can see the difference that the peq can make.

Initially I set the peq so I had flat response . After a couple of weeks of tweaking I found I liked 25 and 65hz 2-3 dbs hot. Everyones tastes are different . Have fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts