AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have analog cable (get my HDTV fix OTA). One of the main reasons why I have not switched to a dish or digital cable is the delay in changing channels.

It will drive me nuts.

Are some of the STB faster then others?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So which ones are the fastest, or how can I check for myself? I can not imagine giving up channel surfing!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Panasonic TU-HDS20 is known for having the FASTEST and BEST channel changing times in the biz! This is the box you want!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I vote for the Zentih HD-SAT520. Haven't compared it too all boxes, but it is much faster than most. However, none match the quickness of a NTSC TV.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
once you start using the EPG (electronic program guide), you won't go back to channel surfing again (my opinion)!

I've been a DirecTV user since '94, and couldn't get by without the EPG.

Now, when I go to friends' houses with 'old fashioned' cable, it feels 'crazy' to just channel up/down to try and find a show.

Once you're used to the EPG, and really make use of it, the channel change delay is a moot point.

- Paulb

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dan, are you joking? I have had the TU-HDS20 for 2.5 years, and it slow as heck. I keep it because I think it has some of the best sensitivity and receiver performance. Its hooked up to DirecTV, so it has the latest SW upgrade, but it is still very slow, especially the program guide.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Now, when I go to friends' houses with 'old fashioned' cable, it feels 'crazy' to just channel up/down to try and find a show.
And you call yourself a man :D :) :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ibm135
Dan, are you joking? I have had the TU-HDS20 for 2.5 years, and it slow as heck. I keep it because I think it has some of the best sensitivity and receiver performance. Its hooked up to DirecTV, so it has the latest SW upgrade, but it is still very slow, especially the program guide.
Outside of the speed of channel changing, what do you think of this receiver? I just saw them today at a local store, and they're clearing them out at $299. I hate to buy a model that's a couple years old (or however old it is), but at $300 cheaper than the Samsung and $400 cheaper then the Zenith, it's awfully tempting! I've never used satellite, so wouldn't know what "fast" or "slow" is. All I can do is compare to digital cable.

Just trying to do some quick homework around this box. I have an HD monitor, and am dying to get an HD source! :) Trying to make a decision whether to switch to satellite all together, or just get a STB...

Thanks for any input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.