AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little research and reading, but i'm still in a bit over my head with all the acronyms and details. I just bought a 5532 and was intending on doing the monthly guide service until i received the rebate. Then I was going to use what I thought was the free guide. Problem is I can't find any proof of where I got the impression that there is such an option? Is there? Could you point me in the right directions? Thanks for the patience

·
Registered
886 Posts
There is no free guide. If you want your Replay to work, you need to either pay monthly or pay the one time fee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone back that up? I could of sworn one could setup a channle guide using the same service Mythyv uses? Anyone hip to this?

If this is not possible, can one set it up to record by simply telling it channel and time like an old vcr?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you don't have an active subscription, either monthly ot lifetime, the unit can be used as a door stop or an anchor for your boat. You may be able to play back anything that was on the hard disk when the subscription expired but I don't know that for certain. You can't do manual recordings if you don't have an active subscription.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
You may be able to play back anything that was on the hard disk when the subscription expired but I don't know that for certain.
You can't even do that. But you can stream previously recorded shows from an expired unit to another.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you use a non-subscribed unit to stream shows from an active unit? I have a lifetime 5040 in the living room and my wife and I just want a "dummy" ReplayTV to stream shows from our main ReplayTV in the living room.

Possible? If not, does anyone have any other simple ideas?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81
Can you use a non-subscribed unit to stream shows from an active unit? I have a lifetime 5040 in the living room and my wife and I just want a "dummy" ReplayTV to stream shows from our main ReplayTV in the living room.

Possible? If not, does anyone have any other simple ideas?
Nope, you can't do that either. There are several options for a thin-client, which is what you want. I know one of them is a modified X-Box, but there are other, cheap options out there now. I'm not all that familiar with the whole thing, but a search will probably yield you tons of info.

Personally, I'd just pony up the additional $6.95 a month. In addition to ease of setup and use, you'll get another tuner for conflicts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987
Nope, you can't do that either. There are several options for a thin-client, which is what you want. I know one of them is a modified X-Box, but there are other, cheap options out there now. I'm not all that familiar with the whole thing, but a search will probably yield you tons of info.

Personally, I'd just pony up the additional $6.95 a month. In addition to ease of setup and use, you'll get another tuner for conflicts.
Thanks. I ended up buying a lifetime 5040 off your favorite auction site for $375 shipped. I've got a couple 200GB drives on the way too so expand recording capacity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.