AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports indicate that Hughes built boxes map 11-1 in error as a 480i broadcast instead of the 1080i capable channel it should be. On the other hand, WBBM-DT should be on 2-1 and non Hughes built receivers map it as 3-1. Just for fun, I told one of my Hughes built Toshiba DST-3000s that it had no dish connection. I figured it would map 11-1 correctly for a change and it did. It also mapped WBBM-DT as 3-1. It's looking like the difference between set types is that Hughes gets its local channel info from the DirecTV zip code database and the non Hughes sets gets it OTA. The NY people had a problem mapping their Fox digital channel and reported a collaboration between DirecTV and the STB manufacturer solved the problem. Maybe we should be calling WBBM about 2-1 and DirecTV about 11-1.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Pat as of this afternoon, WBBM-DT is now mapping back to 2-1 (at least for me), 11-1(47-1) still flips to analog 11. Working on contacting Hughes. Now where did WGN 9-2 go? Not available on either stb. Might have to try your trick and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. It doesn't seem to be up today. It must be Karmic. Like I forgot something about my antenna and gave out some bad info a couple of days ago. Today, the pergola roof I often lean against to get at the antenna fell down as the warping posts twisted the nails right out. At least I wasn't on it at the time. A mere spiritual slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Made a phone call to Hughes in Florida to try and explain the problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by retromzc
Now where did WGN 9-2 go? Not available on either stb.
I dont know but I am also getting WGN on 19 and 75 as 75-1?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael

I dont know but I am also getting WGN on 19 and 74 as 74-1?
I don't see it now. I do remember it happening around the time WGN began its digital broadcasting. It had a WB logo.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I've had mapping issues with WGN-DT for a few weeks now with a Dish 6000, so I don't think it's an issue with the Hughes decoders.

I've deleted and scanned a number of times, but no luck getting the station to register as 9-1 and 9-2. In fact, I've lost the multicast, only 9-1 shows up.

Regards,

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch97
Last night I tried to tune in 9-1 and got channel 19 from (I think) Milwaukee. Has anyone else seen that?

Fletch
There's a digital channel 19 in Madison, WMTV-DT. It's the NBC affiliate and is up and running. I don't understand why the FCC assigned two channel 19s about 120 miles apart, but they did.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a Zenith DTV1080 box, and only use it for OTA. It correctly mapped 9-1 and 9-2 until 3 or 4 weeks ago. Now I get only 19-2. (WGN Chicago)

I'm hoping that this is the signal that will carry the HD ballgame on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WGN is no longer multicasting. They only use 9-1 now and shortly will stop cropping it for SD broadcasts. Mdrazin is a WGN engineer and posted the info in the Cubs-Sox thread.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't believe I'm getting a signal from Madison over the one from Chicago. It was an NBC station I think and it freaked me out because it said it was digital but looked like a fuzzy analog station. The good news is that I'm putting a new 80" antenna up on Saturday to replace or add to my existing terk on the dish.

Fletch

·
Registered
251 Posts
Information from WGN engineering

"We are sending information in the digital TV signal stream that instructs

your set to tune to RF channel 19 (Chicago's WB) when you actually select

channel 75 in Chicago. This is called directed channel change. It will be

used throughout the country so that all anyone who wants to watch WB

programming will need to do is select channel 75 in any area they are

visiting using a digital TV. If there is a WB station in that area, the set

will automatically tune to the WB station.

Thanks for watching WGN-DT "

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that WB 75-1 remap shortly after WGN first went digital. I don't get it any more. Maybe it's on the air and my DST-3000 zip code database doesn't include it. On the other hand, dbochniak's Zenith is showing 9-2 and I know that's off the air. It could be that some boxes don't properly update an old remapped channel number. We might all be watching 19-1 and our boxes are showing different remaps. Is there a date on that WB info?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Actually mine is mapping 19-2, not 9-2. I think it is what was formerly 9-1, and there is no more 9-1 or 9-2.

It shows this channel in the lineup even though 19-X was never activated as a channel. And it skips right past 9-X.

greywolf, I think you're right about everyone just mapping the same stream differently. I wonder what they could change to make all the boxes behave the same way.

And Fletch (what a great name), it is WGN Chicago on 19-2, not Milwaukee, in my case.

·
Registered
823 Posts
My Zenith is also receiving WGN on 19-2. And, as I believe someone else reported, there are two 11-1 channels for WTTW--the first with guide data but no sound or picture, and the other with sound and picture, but no guide data.

It's suprising each brand of STB seems to behave differently...you'd think these things would be standardized.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did a new download of the local channel mappings and now I do get 9-1 as WGN. But they don't ever seem to be on the air. How many hours per day do they broadcast? I was trying at about 9:50PM last night - and nothing. I still do see 75-1, but I've never seen anything on that station.

Fletch

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IIRC 9-1 was a cropped 1080i and 9-2 an OAR 480i. But now, after getting it straight from the horse's mouth that 9-2 is gone, I have it again as well as 9-1 but with a catch.

Update-I have 2 DST-3000s and I get 9-2 on both of them. 9-1 is now OAR 1080i as promised. 9-2 is a mirror that should be showing as 75-1 and takes no extra bandwidth. The Hughes database needs correcting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.