AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering improving my UHF reception by adding a CM 4221 4-way bowtie, and combining the signals with my existing UVF antenna (which I'm keeping to supply VHF reception to non-HDTV sets) using a CM 0549 signal combiner. According to CM, there is only a 0.5 db insertion loss, and each input acts like a bandpass filter i.e. it passes only the UHF on the UHF side and blocks VHF, on the VHF side

it passes VHF and blocks UHF. Sounds like this configuration should work, but I'd like to know if anyone has successfully used the CM 0549 combiner in their antenna setup.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkantor
Sounds like this configuration should work, but I'd like to know if anyone has successfully used the CM 0549 combiner in their antenna setup.
You don't say how strong the signals are in your area, but if they're very strong, you might want to consider pointing the antennas off-axis. 30db of isolation is pretty stinking good, but that extra margin might help prevent any bleedover.

I used one to good effect, but the resulting reception offered no improvement over my existing setup, so it has since been removed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am just about ready to mount one too. Does it really matter whether its done as close to the antennas as possible ie on the mast, as compared to wherever, as it only will combine whatever it has at that point.? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dalilama
I'm looking into getting one of these. Anyone know a good place to get these from (price/return policy)?
I've gotten all my antenna stuff from Stark Electronics and Warren Electronics. Warren has very good prices on Channel Master stuff, and the shipping cost on the 4221 antenna and 0549 combiner was reasonable, less than what Stark quoted me. Plus, I've found the people at Warren to be MUCH nicer than Stark on the phone. Not sure about the return policies for either place.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/joiners.htm

http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmjoiner.htm

508-756-7136

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my question. The 0549 combiner and a CM 4221 4-bay bowtie antenna were installed yesterday, and the results were very good. UHF reception is much improved thanks to the 4221, and my ancient Jerrold UVF antenna is performing quite well as VHF-only. The 0549 seems to be combining the signals with minimal loss and no visible bleedover. At $38 for the antenna and combiner (including shipping), I got significant bang for the buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.