Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow HDTVers,

Does anyone have any experience with the Channel Master 3010. It appears to be a fairly low profile UHF/VHF antenna. I am restricted to the space available on my balcony and could be my solution.

Also, does anyone have experience with a Bowtie type UHF only antenna for the high VHF channels (8-9).

Thanks in advance

Doug

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The UHF section is very small and weak - a smaller CM 4221 4xbowtie would be a lot higher gain for small size and would be fine for the upper VHF band if you are fairly close to the broadcast towers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thumper,

I will be about 25 miles from the broadcast antenna. Too far ? it is very flat and I am on a balcony on the 16th floor.

Doug

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Doug,

Hard to say if it's too far or not(for a UHF antenna to work on VHF) in your specific circumstance -- Worth a try though, it's worked in similar circumstances for some folks. If it doesn't work well enough, you can allways add a pair of "rabbit ears"(Rabbit ears probably won't last long outside though -- you could make a 1/2 wave dipole for ch 8 or 9 out of some wire)for VHF, or a "better" VHF antenna with use of an inexpensive VHF/UHF combiner.

Another option If you don't mind doing a little "antenna surgery" and "engineering" concerns removing the UHF section of the CM3010 and hooking up a better UHF antenna such as the CM4221 to the CM3010's internal Circut board.

The CM3010's VHF section is "OK", better than rabbit ears anyway, and other than rabbit ears, it's probably the smallest VHF antenna out there, also, works well outdoors, mounts on a mast on the rear of antenna. Its internal circut board actually IS a VHF/UHF combiner -- Although it doesn't look like it with the case closed, The UHF Section(Not as good of an antenna as those UHF loop antennas you used to get with small TV's) is completely seperate from the VHF section on the CM3010.

Basically, to attach a UHF antenna to the CM3010, you need to remove the "factory" UHF section on the CM3010 and hook up a better UHF antenna to the UHF side of the circut board(or CM3038 preamp) with a short piece of 300Ohm Twinlead. All the Factory UHF section on CM3010 is is a Single element, Center fed, 1/2 wave dipole cut for Channel 17 -- i.e. - Two, small thin pieces(elements) of metal each 6.25" long.

Takes a little "engineering" though to make sure the connection makes good contact, and to get the twinlead through the antenna case where one side the UHF section of CM3010 used to go, as well as sealing the remaing bit of "holes" up so water can't get inside.

I use the VHF section on the CM3010, with a 25 Element UHF Yagi(not sure or the brand) hooked up to the UHF "inputs" on CM3010(using the CM3038 preamp too) and it works very well. What I did to make a good connection was, I flattened out 2 about 1/2" long pieces of 1/4" diameter copper tubing+drilled holes in them for fasteners to attach them to UHF inputs on the CM3010, and drilled 2 more holes in each 1/2" long piece of flattened out copper tubing to add nut/bolt/washer for contact points for the 300Ohm twinlead so the UHF connection would make good contact(just as it would be for the longer "factory" UHF elements) on the CM3010's internal circut board.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of my CM3010(bottom antenna) mod described above -- UHF section removed, a "whatever it is(I found it in my garage)" UHF Yagi on top. Of course, a CM4221 would be a lot flatter and generally smaller. This is side mounted to tower, the other stuff you see(rotor/mast/feedline going "up" is for another antenna.

Pic on Left is what it "generally" looks like, pic on right shows the feedline better. As you can see, the UHF antenna is bigger than the VHF antenna!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a CM 4221 and 7777 preamp getting three stations from 50 miles away. All signals are in the 88-95 range for signal strength.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug888
... does anyone have experience with a Bowtie type UHF only antenna for the high VHF channels (8-9).
I have the CM 4221 4bay bowtie, and a CM 7777 VHF/UHF preamp. YMMV of course, but for me, it works well for analog channels 7 & 11, and digital channel 12. Channel 7 is ~25 miles from my house and channels 11 & 12 are ~7 miles away. It does not work well for lowband VHF channels 2-6.

Of course, it also works well for UHF analog & digital chs too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellas

Thanks for your replies. I ordered the 4228 and will be mounting it this weekend. Maybe the height of my apartment (16th floor), will help. Would be great if I didn't have to couple UHF and VHF antennas.

Doug

·
Registered
85 Posts
surprisingly, i'm having success with the CM 3010. i'm around 40 miles from the broadcast towers, but my neighborhood is elevated on a hill. anyways, i get all the digital channels i need at around 75% strength. my stb is the samsung t-160 directv.

my satellite installer mistakenly brought this antenna over when i specifically asked for something big, ugly, and strong. to my surprise, the CM 3010 worked. btw, it's mounted on my chimney.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
gingurus,

Yes, I was pretty amazed that my CM3010 worked pretty well too in "factory mode", when side mounted to tower about 28' above ground --- even though UHF section is just a single element, 1/2 wave dipole cut for ch 17 -- Again, not as good of an antenna as the UHF "loop" antennas that used to come with small TV's -- Getting such an antenna outdoors certianly helps it's performance though ... It's UHF antenna doesn't really provide any "gain", and it generally performs even worse than that if your UHF stations are on the high end of the dial.

I used/(still using VHF section) it for stations 12~14 miles distant -- The only problem I had with it on UHF for those stations was for DTV stations above channel 50, and only when the wind gusts were above 50mph or so+blowing nearby tree limbs in signal path around. Obviously, since UHF portion is made to work best on channel 17, it performs better on lo-UHF channels than hi-UHF.

'm down in a small, steep forested valley, and I also tested it with proper antenna aiming towards towers in another direction, and for me/my location it didn't work so well on UHF for stations 32~39 Miles distant in another direction, except for a couple of the highest power DTV stations on UHF in that direction, for which along with VHF analog digital stations from that distance it was fine -- Analog UHF from 32~39 miles didn't work very well from my location either --

All that was/is with the internal CM3038 preamp -- Without the preamp, things were much worse ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.