AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the St. Peters suburb of St. Louis and I was wondering if the Channel Master 4228 is a good antenna that can pickup the local 'digital' channels. I am right by the Page Extension. Anybody live close to me that have any issues with their own antenna picking up the digital stations?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
don't know your area but the 4228 has been called by many "the best UHF antenna around" - I use one myself. It is high gain and very directional.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mystikal1000
I live in the St. Peters suburb of St. Louis and I was wondering if the Channel Master 4228 is a good antenna that can pickup the local 'digital' channels. I am right by the Page Extension. Anybody live close to me that have any issues with their own antenna picking up the digital stations?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I've experimented with and used both the CM 4221 (4-bay) and the 4228 (8-bay). Both seem to work quite well but I found the 4228 was much more directional and was better with multipath issues.

Most of the St. Louis DTVs are very powerful. In fact, just last week I was visiting a friend near Quincy, IL so I took my digital tuner and the 4221 to experiment with reception in that area. I was located 99-102 miles from most of the St. Louis towers and I was able to get most of the stations even in the middle of the day when reception conditions were at their worst. I was using a preamp on the line but the antenna was up only about 17 feet off the ground.

Good luck and happy viewing!

Steve

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I posted my configuration 5 minutes ago in a reply on another thread on Outdoor Antennas. I am using the 4228 with excellent results. Check for the other thread, just search my name in this forum.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Who would you recommend the CM 4221 to? I have found a great source for the 4221 but need it to pull in a station around 65-70 miles away. The 4228 would cost me more than double the 4221.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
65-70 miles is very far, esp. for UHF transmissions. I'd say you're at the farthest possible range of those signals and it may be tough to receive them reliably. I would suggest the larger antenna.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lovebohn
... I have found a great source for the 4221 but need it to pull in a station around 65-70 miles away...
Is the station UHF or VHF? What are the station call letters?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.