·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would work best for OTA HD?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Depends somewhat on location and distance to towers. The 4228 is rated for 60 miles, the 3022 for 30 miles. The 4228 is slightly more directional than the average yagi designs. Either will work below 30 miles. YMMV

·
Registered
305 Posts
I see a lot of replies " go to antennaweb " and find out which antenna you need. Great... I need a large antenna that covers all the colors. That still doesn't help me decide if the 160" Long Dual Boom, 57 Element Antenna from radio shack is for me. It doesn't have a color code on it nore does it say it's a "Large" antenna.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. I went to antennaweb years ago but was looking for real life results from people who may have tried different antennas.

I live in Pottstown, PA which is a suburb of Phila.. I would say about 40 miles or so.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco33
I see a lot of replies " go to antennaweb " and find out which antenna you need. Great... I need a large antenna that covers all the colors. That still doesn't help me decide if the 160" Long Dual Boom, 57 Element Antenna from radio shack is for me. It doesn't have a color code on it nore does it say it's a "Large" antenna.
On the other hand, your post contains enough information that you might get something better than "go to antennaweb". :)

Yes, the VU-190XR is one possible solution for your situation, if coupled with a good preamp. If you're interested in looking at more than just what Radio Shack has to offer, both Winegard and Channel Master have lots of information about their antennas online. Channel Master even classifies their outdoor antenna products by the same two-letter code used by Antennaweb.

Another alternative is to visit forum sponsor SolidSignal and request an antenna/preamp recommendation. Doesn't cost anything, and they have good prices from what I've seen.

Hope this helps.

-T.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tremor_f
On the other hand, your post contains enough information that you might get something better than "go to antennaweb". :)

Yes, the VU-190XR is one possible solution for your situation, if coupled with a good preamp. If you're interested in looking at more than just what Radio Shack has to offer, both Winegard and Channel Master have lots of information about their antennas online. Channel Master even classifies their outdoor antenna products by the same two-letter code used by Antennaweb.

Another alternative is to visit forum sponsor SolidSignal and request an antenna/preamp recommendation. Doesn't cost anything, and they have good prices from what I've seen.

Hope this helps.

-T.
Only problem is the, only outlet that sells both those antenna's in my area, only sell to contractors (installers) NOT the general public.:(

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Recently Antenna Web has changed their algorithims and now I find them highly inaccurate.

In my case though I use a Channel Master 4248 (Yagi) with a 7775 Pre-Amp, and I get stations 70+ miles away.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Only problem is the, only outlet that sells both those antenna's in my area, only sell to contractors (installers) NOT the general public.:(
Why not order online? Most antennas are designed to be UPS shippable, and quite a few of the online vendors will allow you to return the products if they don't work for you -- including SolidSignal. (Geez, I sound like a shill for SolidSignal, but I swear I'm not.)

The antenna doesn't care if you go to the store or order it online, and neither should you as long as you get something that works.

-T.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Well I see a lot of posts like this

Quote:
Originally posted by HTspec
Which would work best for OTA HD?
I suggest going to antennaweb as a starting point. The original post says nothing about how far from the antennas he is, what city he is in, weather he only needs UHF or if he needs VHF also. It is difficult to answer without some basic info.

Just so everyone here knows the CBS station out of Philadelphia broadcasts Digital on 3-1 so if you want CBS a UHF only antenna may not work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mntneer
Recently Antenna Web has changed their algorithims and now I find them highly inaccurate.
This has nothing to do with finding out what frequency the station broadcasts on

Quote:
Originally posted by tremor_f
what info would that be?

Jordan

·
Registered
305 Posts
With a trial & error & error thing like this, I would rather be able to return it face to face. With shipping back and forth... uhh I can't even think about all that. Now, If I was sure all this was going to work, like when I bought my printer, hell... I'd buy it over at e-bay.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420

what info would that be?
First, let me make plain that I'm in agreement with the points you made in your previous post.

The information provided by Marco33 which prompted my comment was that he needed an antenna which 'covered all of the colors', which means, according to the CEA coding system:

Large Directional

DESCRIPTION Large antennas used in weak signal areas for maximum possible TV reception.

APPEARANCE Multi-element rooftop antennas.

USE Can be used in any color code area, but requires an amplifier and roof mounting for blue, violet and red color codes. Amplifiers are not recommended for yellow color codes.

Yes, it'd be nice if people posted their zip code and the particulars of their housing situation when asking for help -- but it's frequently possible to assist with useful information on a partial data set.

I posted a proposal to split the Local Reception forum in the Forum Feedback section today, which includes a category for exactly this type of request.

-T.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
With a trial & error & error thing like this, I would rather be able to return it face to face. With shipping back and forth... uhh I can't even think about all that. Now, If I was sure all this was going to work, like when I bought my printer, hell... I'd buy it over at e-bay.
Understood.

One option to consider: use an antenna from RS (like the VU-190XR) with a top-notch preamp ordered online. Shipping would be cheap, even if you ended up returning it (unlikely) and you'll get a much, much better product than RS offers in their stores.

For the $70 you'd pay RS for a preamp of dubious quality, you can get a Channel Master 7777 at $65 plus shipping new. Heck, you can find these on eBay, too, so don't let that stop you. :)

In the end, you will do what you're most comfortable with. I enjoy helping people recognize what their options are, as it justifies the amount of time I've spent on this oddball hobby, but in the end all I can offer is a free opinion. And we know what that's worth. :D

-T.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Too all, please don't take my replys in a harsh way. I'm just giving my input. Not my intent to upset people.

Just got my reply back from SolidSignal.com. hmm... they recommend a smaller antenna then I first thought.

What do you know... I don't know everything.:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
As a recent HD convert, I agree with the gist of Marco33's statement. Antennaweb is great for what it is, but does not help us determine what the best red or yellow or purple antenna is. That is where the folks on this forum could be very useful. Perhaps a sticky post or somesuch where we discuss our experience with the various antenna models grouped or at least mentioned in conjunction with the antennaweb color coding system.

I'll start: I have the good fortune to live in an antennaweb yellow area, and I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor for $24 at Amazon. It is hidden away inside of a wooden chest on the bottom floor of a three story house.

With the exception of two independent stations I have never heard of, I get all of the stations that antennaweb indicates I should get plus more, with most in the 93 to 100% signal strength range, with a low of 69%.

From my experience the Zenith Silver Sensor is an excellent yellow antenna!

Who's next??

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought the Channel Master 3018. It covers the whole spectrum of colors. I'm 40 Miles from the towers. The antenna is 15 feet off the gound and I get the 4 main networks and some other channels also.

The Channel Master was labled, unlike the Radio shack stuff... which is not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would suggest getting the CM4228 because it is actually able to get signals in both directions, even though it's suppose to be a directional only antenna.

I'm not saying that the opposite direction's signal is gonna be as good as the direct line of signal signal, but you will get a signal that's not bad.

Definitely better than you'll get with the Yagi.

But for a directional antenna you'll find nothing finer, especially if you have an antenna rotator.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Heck, its suppose to be a UHF antenna and does a great job picking up my NBC affiliate which is broadcasting in VHF!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.