AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Terk TV55 that I think I'm going to get rid of. (not doing what it should) I was hearing a lot of good things about the Channel Master 4248. Does anyone know if this comes with a pre-amp, or if I have to get it separately. If so what is a good pre-amp that goes with the CM4248. I'm about 45 miles from the towers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would I need a diplexer with th CM4248? Using Directv on the Mits hd500.

John

·
Registered
210 Posts
There's nothing about the 4248 (or any antenna) that requires a diplexor. Diplexors just a cheap way of avoiding running another cable by merging your UHF antenna cable into your satellite cable. A 2nd diplexor splits it off again at the receiver. You're better off running a dedicated cable for UHF only. Some have luck with them, but if you're not getting good signal it would be the first I'd eliminate.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi jrq,

Here's a good link for the CM4248 . They sell them $30 which is $15 cheaper than stark.

Found out about it after I had bought mine already. They also sell preamps.

A fellow avs member found this site to be another good source and cheaper than stark.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
KeohiHDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kealii. I'll check it out.

John

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrq16:
Thanks Kealii. I'll check it out.

John
I'm using the CM4248 with a Winegard preamp (AP-4800). Receive all NYC stations around 80-82 at my location of 42-45 miles from NYC.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CJ...About how many miles are you from the ESB and WTC.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget that question CJ. You already answered it.. Sorry

·
Registered
53 Posts
The channel master 4248 does not come with a pre-amp. I have a 4248 and I am using it with a channel master 7777 pre-amp. The cm 7775 might be a better choice since it is a UHF only pre-amp.

joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your Terk TV55 is nothing but a dipole type antenna with a preamp. The Channel Master antenna Model 4248 is a true Yagi type antenna with about 14db of gain and very respectable attenuation from the back and sides. If you buy this antenna, try it without the preamp first. Preamps can sometime cause more problems then they solve. Most important is to buy top notch RG-6 coaxial cable. This will insure that you have as low as possible cable loss at UHF frequencies. Also make sure your cable run is as short as possible. Connectors must be properly installed. Minimize junctions and don't use a splitter, if possible. All these cause losses at UHF frequencies. If after doing the above things you still have a problem, then install a good quality pre-amp (Winegard, channelmaster etc.). Good luck...

P Joy

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to the both of you. You both told me what I wanted to hear.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the CM 4248 and love it. I am about 40 miles from the Towers without an amp and it works great. It is highly directional so you may wish to consider an antenna rotor

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mbartok, Are you using a antenna rotor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a 4248 and a Winegard 4800 preamp. I'm about 60 miles from ESB & WTC and typically receive most channels with 80 - 90 signal strength. It has been posted here that all but CBS are currently transmitting at low power. Oddly enough, CBS comes in the weakest, at 64 - 75 strength.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul K:
I have a 4248 and a Winegard 4800 preamp. I'm about 60 miles from ESB & WTC and typically receive most channels with 80 - 90 signal strength. It has been posted here that all but CBS are currently transmitting at low power. Oddly enough, CBS comes in the weakest, at 64 - 75 strength.
I'm about 45 miles from NYC. I'm using same equipment and CBS is the lowest for me, also...around 76 in good weather, but very low in fog and rain. Bob Ross has said that weather affects CBS more than others because it operates at higher frequency. He also suggested that CH 55 (analog) could be interfering with the CBS digital signal since they're strong. What kind of reception do you get for 55?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure...I thought it was channel 56.

John

·
Registered
361 Posts
55 comes in great, as does ch.21 (WLIW), but since they are analog, my 6000 does not show a signal strength.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
FYI,

I think the best strategy for Channel Master antennae would be to check their site for their distributor in your area. Even if the distributor doesn't want to sell to you direct, they can tell you which of their customers you can get it from.

Stark has always been great to deal with. But with the UPS "special handling charge" due ot the extra-long box, the shipping charge for the 4248 cross-country was as much as the antenna itself!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Barry, Thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.