AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The aspect ratio settings on this thing seem a little flaky to me. And as usual, the box doesn't remember the aspect ratio setting you chose for each channel, requiring you to reset it each time you change channels. (Why is it that only Zenith/Insignia was ever able to get that right? Maybe they took out a patent on it :rolleyes:)

To change the aspect ratio, push the button right under the red button at the top of the remote.
Yeah you are right. My ratio is correct now. Does yours pass Dolby digital? My boxes from 15 years ago pass dd.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
This may help: I just discovered there's a clone of the CM-7004, except without the recording feature: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DXA3/5449400

Here's a .pdf of the manual: https://files.bbystatic.com/kYTTKKPU0YQZHYxe2+88bA==/86476f09-4e92-4ba4-ab93-e25ce12667db.pdf

The case is slightly different, and the Insignia has a red "standby" LED, but if you scroll through the manual and start looking at screen shots, you'll see the setup is identical to the CM-7004. Also notice that the Insignia is $79.99, nearly as much as the pre-clearance CM-7004.

@keeper will be interested to learn that, under "Features" the Insignia's web page states:

Supports Dolby Digital Audio: For superior audio quality.​

There are, however, some differences. The CM-7004 removed the Closed Captioning menu to make room for the DVR menu. I hadn't even noticed it before, but most tuners have a menu where you can customize the appearance of closed captions. The CM-7004 doesn't.

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

I wonder if the Insignia's remote control would operate the CM-7004? (Ebay has spare remotes for $19.99.) And if so, do the "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" functions work? Pass-thru isn't terribly useful these days but Favorites would be a big help.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
This may help: I just discovered there's a clone of the CM-7004, except without the recording feature: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DXA3/5449400

Here's a .pdf of the manual: https://files.bbystatic.com/kYTTKKPU0YQZHYxe2+88bA==/86476f09-4e92-4ba4-ab93-e25ce12667db.pdf

The case is slightly different, and the Insignia has a red "standby" LED, but if you scroll through the manual and start looking at screen shots, you'll see the setup is identical to the CM-7004. Also notice that the Insignia is $79.99, nearly as much as the pre-clearance CM-7004.

@keeper will be interested to learn that, under "Features" the Insignia's web page states:

There are, however, some differences. The CM-7004 removed the Closed Captioning menu to make room for the DVR menu. I hadn't even noticed it before, but most tuners have a menu where you can customize the appearance of closed captions. The CM-7004 doesn't.

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favor vorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

I wonder if the Insignia's remote control would operate the CM-7004? (Ebay has spare remotes for $19.99.) And if so, do the "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" functions work? Pass-thru isn't terribly useful these days but Favorites would be a big help.
Interesting. Yeah the Dolby digital sign is displayed when you hit the info button. I don’t see any audio settings in the menu.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)

Good find; thanks.

Looks like Best Buy did a better job of marketing than CM. Best Buy didn't fall into the "recording" trap; they understood that it's better to eliminate the recording feature than to do it wrong and antagonize the buyer.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hey that clone uses a different colored version of the same case as the ol' Zinwell, but throw in an HDMI slot. Well and the Zinwells I still see listed as new, although one time I saw one listed in a more CM-7004 looking case.

Somehow I suspect a lot of this current stuff has one or just a very few sources, but many brands. Even the Zinwell looks to have been sold off, spun off, or outsourced and many of its original nice features disappeared. (timer, favorites, etc.).

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

The CM-7004 remote (which is actually a DVR+ "enhanced" remote) also lacks the Insignia's "Favorites" and "Pass-Thru" buttons, effectively disabling those functions. (That would explain the "loop through" notation on the RF output connector.)

Still waiting on an answer. Today I used my roomie remote and input different codes of products from channel master and insignia to see if any worked on this box. One of the cm worked but provided no new features like favorites. Basically it controlled the box the same way as the remote though it has more buttons.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I used my roomie remote and input different codes of products from channel master and insignia to see if any worked on this box. One of the cm worked but provided no new features like favorites.
Disappointing but still interesting. I wouldn't have thought the CM-7004 has been on the market long enough to make it into any universal remote code libraries. What model remote was it, and which code worked?

When I first got the 7004, I tried the remote on my DVR+, but the DVR+ didn't respond so I know the 7004 and DVR+ use different remote codes. But perhaps the 7004 uses the same remote codes as some other CM device. (7003?)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Disappointing but still interesting. I wouldn't have thought the CM-7004 has been on the market long enough to make it into any universal remote code libraries. What model remote was it, and which code worked?

When I first got the 7004, I tried the remote on my DVR+, but the DVR+ didn't respond so I know the 7004 and DVR+ use different remote codes. But perhaps the 7004 uses the same remote codes as some other CM device. (7003?)
Cm7005tb1 is what it is listed as. So I as looking at reviews of the Insignia box on Best Buy and several stated that they could not get it to output 5.1 dd. Crazy that in 2018 a product is made such as this that doesn’t output dd. Major thumbs down to this pos.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Cm7005tb1 is what it is listed as. So I as looking at reviews of the Insignia box on Best Buy and several stated that they could not get it to output 5.1 dd. Crazy that in 2018 a product is made such as this that doesn’t output dd. Major thumbs down to this pos.
There's a CM7005? You sure it didn't say CM7500TB1? That's the DVR+; specifically the 1TB model. (Presumably, the CM-7005 will be Channel Master's next failure attempt to market a HDTV tuner.)

I just rechecked operating my DVR+ with the 7004 remote, and now it's working! So I guess they do use the same remote codes after all. (I have no idea why my DVR+ didn't work with it earlier.) So it looks like I got a spare DVR+ remote for my $49 in addition to a spare tuner.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
There's a CM7005? You sure it didn't say CM7500TB1? That's the DVR+; specifically the 1TB model. (Presumably, the CM-7005 will be Channel Master's next failure attempt to market a HDTV tuner.)

I just rechecked operating my DVR+ with the 7004 remote, and now it's working! So I guess they do use the same remote codes after all. (I have no idea why my DVR+ didn't work with it earlier.) So it looks like I got a spare DVR+ remote for my $49 in addition to a spare tuner.
It’s listed as cm7500tb1. My mistake.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
So, I guess we're not gonna get a "favorites" out of this thing either. Too bad - would've been a nice consolation prize after the disappointing DVR functionality.

I wonder if the 7004 will accept firmware updates via the USB port, a la the mStar boxes? It has a lot of promise, and the problems all seem like they could be fixed with better firmware.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
So, I guess we're not gonna get a "favorites" out of this thing either. Too bad - would've been a nice consolation prize after the disappointing DVR functionality.

I wonder if the 7004 will accept firmware updates via the USB port, a la the mStar boxes? It has a lot of promise, and the problems all seem like they could be fixed with better firmware.
I thought I read on cm web page that this unit will never be updated. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
If so, it's just one more area where the mStar boxes beat this one. Don't get me wrong - the mStar boxes have had more than their fair share of terrible firmware; it's the main reason we don't have the CM-7003 to kick around anymore. But it has (slowly) gotten less bad over the years, and mStar box owners have often (not as often as they should have, but still) been able to take advantage of the improvements.

The CM-7004.... so much wasted potential....

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If so, it's just one more area where the mStar boxes beat this one. Don't get me wrong - the mStar boxes have had more than their fair share of terrible firmware; it's the main reason we don't have the CM-7003 to kick around anymore. But it has (slowly) gotten less bad over the years, and mStar box owners have often (not as often as they should have, but still) been able to take advantage of the improvements.

You are correct about wasted potential. This has a lot of potential if they would update some features. The signal strength meter is a waste, pcm audio instead of dd blows my mind, no favorites, some other little things. I mean I have a Samsung tuner from around 2008 that does all the above. I will say that the tuner in the cm is decent. I need some more testing in decent weather. Been raining hard 3 straight days.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I agree with JHBrandt. I don't think it is a network problem; my guess is the HDHR demodulator isn't very good at handling multipath.
I think you are right not that I ever doubted your comments. My Samsung, Sony, and channel master tuners pretty much hold steady as far as signal quality goes. The hd homerun is all over the place. I’m surprised more people don’t complain about their tuner. So my CM figures on channel 13 are ss-100 and signal quality 95-97. Usually I get some breakups on occasion, it’s mostly very watchable. Would horizontal stacking to large stellar lab vhf antennas help with multipath. I thought I read somewhere that the antennas become even more directional that way? And I appreciate tapping your knowledge on antennas, I know you have a lot.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

And cm is still looking into the dd issue. She has emailed me 3 times stating that she is investigating. So they are very responsive. Unfortunately, I know the answer is it can’t output dd over hdmi.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts