AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24454731



Thanks for the Staples link!

Unfortunately, it's not carried in their stores and would need to be ordered.

For some reason, I wasn't able to find it on the Staples website.

I forget the specifics but thought you mentioned something (in a previous post) about a problem using it with your DVR+.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this or explain the nature of the problem.

Thanks!
You're welcome. Shipping is free from them for a purchase of $19.99 or more and you can also ship to the store.

 

I didn't have any problem using this adapter, just follow my instructions in a previous post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24454025


OK guys... I just got notice of FW update. I am using wireless adapter connected to a Verizon WiFi hotspot for guide data and FW updates. As previously posted by others, first FW update failed... DVR+ rebooted... I initiated the FW update manually... Update failed. So, I too, am having FW update problems via adapter... GGGggggrrrr...
Same here with the Verizon MiFi as my connection. I tried a few times for the update with no luck. I also tried to download the update file from CM, put it on a thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the DVR+. It rejected the 16GB thumb drive as not big enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455157



Same here with the Verizon MiFi as my connection. I tried a few times for the update with no luck. I also tried to download the update file from CM, put it on a thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the DVR+. It rejected the 16GB thumb drive as not big enough.
The thumb drive has to be empty when you put the update on it..

The only thing you should see on the thumb drive is one 40mb file "103_102B"..... .

It worked fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455157


Same here with the Verizon MiFi as my connection. I tried a few times for the update with no luck. I also tried to download the update file from CM, put it on a thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the DVR+. It rejected the 16GB thumb drive as not big enough.

Make sure the update is in the ROOT folder. In other words when you look at the files in the root folder you should see the downloaded file including its .str extension. Other non .str files on the disk typically have no impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2100#post_24417023


You can find the Dashboard here:
http://www.seagate.com/search/?keyword=dashboard%20download


Plug your Seagate drive into your computer, download and run the software.

oen the application on the Seagate drive and select the settings for shut down time and you can also turn off the blue light on the drive..it's kinda bright..


You will not loose any programs that you have recorded.. Well I didn't anyway..lol

Just installed Dashboard. I set it to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. I did not change the setting of the blue light. With these settings, what does the light being constantly on mean? I'm using a STBX1000100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455443



Just installed Dashboard. I set it to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. I did not change the setting of the blue light. With these settings, what does the light being constantly on mean? I'm using a STBX1000100.
Seagate Dashboard.

LEDs:

Enables or disables the LEDs on the Seagate drive. When the LEDs on the drive

are lit, it indicates that the drive is properly connected to your system and powered on. If

you want to turn the LEDs off, select Off from the list box.

 

The only reason I turned it off was because it was very bright.. I didn't need another night light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455566


Seagate Dashboard.


LEDs:


Enables or disables the LEDs on the Seagate drive. When the LEDs on the drive


are lit, it indicates that the drive is properly connected to your system and powered on. If


you want to turn the LEDs off, select Off from the list box.


The only reason I turned it off was because it was very bright.. I didn't need another night light.

What exactly does "powered on" mean in this context. Obviously it means it has power :). Does it also mean it's spinning? Or, does it blink when it's spinning. To attempt to answer these I turned on the DVR and sure enough the light started blinking. And, held the drive in my hand and felt the slightest of vibrations. Turned the DVR off - blinking stopped. So does blinking signify disk access? Since I had set the inactivity period to 15 minutes, obviously the drive was still spinning and blinking does not necessarily mean a spinning drive. The manual is at http://www.seagate.com/software/dashboard/UserManual.pdf . Page 31 has the information quoted above my MKS13, but no further details. I should have added I got the drive last night, hence all the questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Just looked at the Guide over the time change period. Looks good with the missing hour factored in and all programs after the time change showing the record symbol where expected. If I had to bet I'd place my money on this (the time change) being a non-event.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24453632


I'm using the recommended Seagate 1TB drive (STBX1000101).


The video does not freeze.


The recording is a 720P channel (ABC). The background recording is most likely 1080i (CBS or NBC).


Mark

Is this one of the Hard Drives with a Power connection?

Is there a way to find out what speed Hard Drive this is, is it a 7200rpm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455200



The thumb drive has to be empty when you put the update on it..

The only thing you should see on the thumb drive is one 40mb file "103_102B"..... .

It worked fine for me.
nope, not necessary to keep it empty

I keep on same [4GB] thumb drive all FW versions (four for now:101/102/103/113) for the K77 and in a folder 'update' (required) all TR50 FW files
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455816


nope, not necessary to keep it empty

I keep on same [4GB] thumb drive all FW versions (four for now) for the K77 and in a folder 'update' (required) all TR50 FW files

What are the four K77 firmware versions you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455157


Same here with the Verizon MiFi as my connection. I tried a few times for the update with no luck. I also tried to download the update file from CM, put it on a thumb drive and insert the thumb drive into the DVR+. It rejected the 16GB thumb drive as not big enough.
perhaps it's not big enough to threat it as a recording storage? my 4 GB stick working fine for FW updates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455816


nope, not necessary to keep it empty

I keep on same [4GB] thumb drive all FW versions (four for now:101/102/103/113) for the K77 and in a folder 'update' (required) all TR50 FW files

I'm curious about the 113 version. This is the first I've heard about it. Is this from E* / CM or something you've put together? If from E* / CM, what are the changes from 103, when did you get it and what are your impressions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24454142


Mark, spend some time for reading about TSR at CoolStf site, check if your Windows has BDA driver, start TSR with Ctrl key holding, select "ATSC BDA Source", see if TSR will connect

Hmmm, I'm not getting anywhere with TSReader Lite. It looks like I have a BDA driver (based on the file "BdaSup.sys" that is in the file list when I check Driver File Details in Device Manager).

After selecting "ATSC BDA Source", the program starts with a box to tune or scan. I can add a frequency/channel, but nothing happens. "Scan" doesn't seem to do anything. If I hit cancel, the whole program shuts down.


I'm on Windows 8.1, if that matters.


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456072


Hmmm, I'm not getting anywhere with TSReader Lite. It looks like I have a BDA driver (based on the file "BdaSup.sys" that is in the file list when I check Driver File Details in Device Manager).

After selecting "ATSC BDA Source", the program starts with a box to tune or scan. I can add a frequency/channel, but nothing happens. "Scan" doesn't seem to do anything. If I hit cancel, the whole program shuts down.


I'm on Windows 8.1, if that matters.


Mark
we are testing a temper of participants the DVR+ thread ... perhaps PM would be better place to continue
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) perhaps someone would be need the knowledge for future troubleshooting ...

I would run TSR in WinXP compatible mode; next thing - run DbgView program and give me its log, also snapshot of TSR with OTA scan window
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455729


Is this one of the Hard Drives with a Power connection?

Is there a way to find out what speed Hard Drive this is, is it a 7200rpm?

I doubt it is a 7200 RPM drive. I couldn't find any detailed specs, but I think Seagate would promote it if is was 7200.


But I would think it would be plenty fast enough. It does have USB 3.0 support, though I guess the DVR+ does not. USB 2.0 high-speed supports up to 480 Mbit/s. I think the max for HD in ATSC is 19 Mbit/s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456100


I doubt it is a 7200 RPM drive. I couldn't find any detailed specs, but I think Seagate would promote it if is was 7200.


But I would think it would be plenty fast enough. It does have USB 3.0 support, though I guess the DVR+ does not. USB 2.0 high-speed supports up to 480 Mbit/s. I think the max for HD in ATSC is 19 Mbit/s.
19.38 Mbps it is for whole mux, include system info data and other subchannels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456100



I doubt it is a 7200 RPM drive. I couldn't find any detailed specs, but I think Seagate would promote it if is was 7200.


But I would think it would be plenty fast enough. It does have USB 3.0 support, though I guess the DVR+ does not. USB 2.0 high-speed supports up to 480 Mbit/s. I think the max for HD in ATSC is 19 Mbit/s.
I found a review on Amazon that had peeked inside and it's a 5400 RPM drive.

 

But remember that RPM generally doesn't affect large block data transfer rates because as you slow the drive down, you get proportionately more data on a track so the data transfer rate stays about the same.  RPM does affect the average half rotation delay after a seek.  A DVR sure better be doing large block transfers (think 1MB at a crack).

 

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Well, my DVR+ seems to have died completely.


I tried to move the HDD to the other USB port as an experiment to see if it had any effect on the audio dropouts.


Now the DVR+ won't start at all. I've tried both ports and removing the HDD connection entirely, and the DVR+ gets stuck when starting up, showing the Channel Master logo and some animated gears. The blue light flashes continuously.


Rats.


Mark
 
2401 - 2420 of 17991 Posts
Top