AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Seems to me (you are not the first person who got DVR+ stuck in boot stage), the K77 been designed by same ppl who made TR50 with its famous NVRAM corruption issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few questions if anyone knows...

1. Can the program recordings be moved to a Windows PC and burned to a DVD?

2. If no, would Knoppix help?

3. Can VUDU programs be recorded?

Thanks to all the early adopters.

Steve

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOH  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456402

A few questions if anyone knows...

1. Can the program recordings be moved to a Windows PC and burned to a DVD?

2. If no, would Knoppix help?

3. Can VUDU programs be recorded?

Thanks to all the early adopters.

Steve
Steve (counting you as a novice here with your two posts), I'm advice you to read the thread, use Search This Thread feature ... at least step back for a couple pages ... post 2369 perhaps ?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Since my DVR+ seems to be dead, I tried connecting the HDD to my PC.

It doesn't get a drive letter assigned, and I don't see a way to browse files, or even to format the drive. It does show up as "Expansion" in the USB devices (Devices and Printers) and as a disk drive in Device Manager.

I'd like to at least figure out a way to recover the drive in a usable state!

Mark

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456454

It doesn't get a drive letter assigned, and I don't see a way to browse files, or even to format the drive. It does show up as "Expansion" in the USB devices (Devices and Printers) and as a disk drive in Device Manager.

I'd like to at least figure out a way to recover the drive in a usable state!

Mark
Usable ?

Use Linux for full use, run fsck on it; to read it under Windows use ext2mgr software - but before that, please, take your time - read the thread how-to

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455392

Make sure the update is in the ROOT folder. In other words when you look at the files in the root folder you should see the downloaded file including its .str extension. Other non .str files on the disk typically have no impact.
Thanks for the help. I deleted everything from the thumb drive. It was formatted NTSF. I reformatted FAT(32) for the second try. Still, it didn't work. I'll try again when I have time.

Bill

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456454

It doesn't get a drive letter assigned, and I don't see a way to browse files, or even to format the drive. I'd like to at least figure out a way to recover the drive in a usable state.

Mark,

Mine too!

Bill

·
Registered
416 Posts

Edit, I am using the 2 Tb, WD 1021 with my DVR+. The drive has performed flawlessly, Unlike my 3 Tb Seagate expansion drive, that died (unrecognizable in Liunx) after 3 days, taking all my recordings with it.

If anyone is looking for a solid reliable 2 Tb drive, after 6 weeks of heavy use I can highly recommend the:

Western Digital (WD) 1021 2 Tb HDD

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedsphere  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456608

Re 103R. I find that HDMI control between my Sony devices is working again. I wonder what else they fixed.
details please

there is still no aspect ratio selection, nor ability to pick right resolution for Dell 19" monitor
what is perfectly works for TR50

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456544

Mark,

Mine too!

Bill
guys ?! are reading before post ? just a two posts above I did answer to him

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24456710

Sorry if I offended. When I read "Linux" I skipped to the next part where I did not recognize the software you suggested. I will go back and read more.

Bill

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455200

The thumb drive has to be empty when you put the update on it..

The only thing you should see on the thumb drive is one 40mb file "103_102B"..... .

It worked fine for me.
Thanks for the help. It was empty. The only thing on it was the file downloaded from CM.

CM's instructions did not make it clear if the DVR+ should be on, off or unplugged when you insert the thumbdrive. Since I have both a HDD and WiFi button plugged in, I was not sure which to remove. I tried both. I'm sure there is a combination I over looked and will try again.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24456100

I doubt it is a 7200 RPM drive. I couldn't find any detailed specs, but I think Seagate would promote it if is was 7200.

But I would think it would be plenty fast enough. It does have USB 3.0 support, though I guess the DVR+ does not. USB 2.0 high-speed supports up to 480 Mbit/s. I think the max for HD in ATSC is 19 Mbit/s.

As you can tell from the name I am an old or long time Videographer. Most of the pro editing software will not work less than 7200. Things could have changed for I am retired several years now, but I would not trust anything slower than 7200 and I think that is the reason why Seagate will not say the speed. I am using a 7200 hard drive and have not seen those issues. Just saying.

Knock on Wood..

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24456710

You posted only 8 minutes before he did.  Likely your post wasn't on his screen.  Have a little mercy.

Chuck

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24456796

As you can tell from the name I am an old or long time Videographer. Most of the pro editing software will not work less than 7200. Things could have changed for I am retired several years now, but I would not trust anything slower than 7200 and I think that is the reason why Seagate will not say the speed. I am using a 7200 hard drive and have not seen those issues. Just saying.

Knock on Wood..
You were likely comparing different generations of drives.  An older 5400 vs a newer 7200. All other things being equal, large block sequential (which video should always be, given competant software designers), RPM doesn't affect.  I spent 10+ years at IBM Research measuring this stuff.

And drives just keep getting faster and faster.

Chuck

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2400#post_24455816

nope, not necessary to keep it empty

I keep on same [4GB] thumb drive all FW versions (four for now:101/102/103/113) for the K77 and in a folder 'update' (required) all TR50 FW files
Have you updated your DVR+ with that flashdrive?

From CM update page:

Download the attached software, place on a USB memory stick (do not change the file name, do not place in a folder, there must not be anything else saved on the stick), insert the stick in an open USB port on the back of the DVR+.  The software will recognize the update and prompt you to confirm.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I could not update when I tried disconnecting the hard drive and plugging in the usb drive with the DVR+ turned off. So than with the DVR+ turned off I plug the hard drive back in and unplug the WiFi adapter, still would not update. Then I turned the DVR+ on and plug in the usb drive where the WiFi was and then it updated.

Hope that makes sense it does to me, but I am a long time on Earth.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For those having issues: try unplugging your wifi dongle and plugging in the USB drive containing the update while the DVR+ is on. If you don't do wifi, then just plug in the USB drive in the free USB port with the DVR+ on. Do not unplug your external hard drive.

Does the above work?

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24452861

The video files are the .ts files on the second partition of the DVR+ HDD.  They are not proprietary but they are a nonstandard format so you can use ffmpeg.exe to convert them to a standard format.  The ffmpeg.exe program is free but it is only command line.  There are many options that can be used with the program but here is a fairly generic command that I have used that should convert most of your files so that they can be viewed with Windows Media Player as well as others:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy outputfile.ts

I was able to use DiskInternals free Linux reader to copy files to my Windows 8.1 PC, since the efr2mgr reportedly wasn't a good choice for Windows 8+. Interestingly, you could preview the .ts streams right in the GUI for the tool.

That seemed to work, but when I try to use ffmpeg as above, I'm getting errors. One file seemed to convert 25+ minutes of a 30 minute program, the next only did about 4:20 min. before I started getting these errors:

"max resync size reached, coud not find sync byte"

The converted file seemed to end at that time.

Not sure what to do at this point...

Mark

2421 - 2440 of 17993 Posts