AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24459719

Thanks Russel and P Smith.

Thanks to you both!

I've tried #2 and #3 restarts multiple times without luck.  Can't do #1 since I can't get to the Menu.

I'm not sure if I want to try to install earlier firmware - again, my tech skills are novice and just trying to do the HDD dashboard seems to have screwed everything up. Unless it's really easy and intuitive for me to try older firmware, I'll probably just have to wait to speak with CM tomorrow.  But I really do appreciate all your help and quick responses!  
I wouldn't worry about your actions done with the drive on PC; the DVR can works w/out it perfectly - it has own storage [16 GB] for a couple hours of recordings. Just disconnect the drive for now and concentrate on DVR itself.

Get USB stick, download 103R and try to use it again

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24459792

I don't see where any of you who have this problem have tried disconnecting the antenna cable. You might want to check out the DTV-PAL thread for suggestions of how to get out of the boot up loop. This sounds like the same problem that unit had and it is the same people who programed the device. It would be worth trying.

Déjà vu !

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24456878

For those having issues: try unplugging your wifi dongle and plugging in the USB drive containing the update while the DVR+ is on. If you don't do wifi, then just plug in the USB drive in the free USB port with the DVR+ on. Do not unplug your external hard drive.

Does the above work?
In previous posts a few days ago I wrote that I tried a WiFi firmware upgrade three times with failure. Then I wrote I downloaded to a clean USB thumbdrive and failed. I tried with the DVR+ on and off for plug in. Nothing worked, hence the posts.

With your encouragement to try again Russell, it worked the first time. I cleaned the thumbdrive, copied the file to it again, pulled the WiFi while the DVR+ was on, replaced it with the thumdrive and the DVR+ offered me the upgrade.

As an update to on the road traveling with the DVR+ in a RV, it continues positive experience. I'm using http://www.antennapoint.com/ to identify if and where there are transmitters, crank up and point the rooftop antenna using a hand compass, change the zipcode, change the timezone and do a fresh auto channel scan. ROVI guide data seems to refresh about once a day over WiFi with a Verizon MiFi.

Bill

In only one case did it record the wrong show and I don't know why.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone tried to access the Channel Master DVR+ directly through their network LAN IP address? I wanted to see if I could view my recorded files from my Chrome browser by accessing the DVR+ devise from my LAN network.. Is there a specific sub directory and/or code I need to enter to view the ROM files and/or the attached USB drive files. When I just enter the IP address in my browser, all I get is the following.

Error 404: Not Found

File not found

My thought was I could copy one or more of my recorded programs to my NAS storage and eventually build a Plex Media Server database for all of my recorded media content created by the DVR+ devise.

http://goo.gl/tzLn2T

The Plex Media Server enriches your life by organizing all your personal media, presenting it beautifully and

streaming it to all of your devices. It's easy to use, it's awesome, and it's free!

My other option is hooking up the Slingbox 500 to stream DVR+ content to my remote devises but then I am limited to the HDD storage and DVR+'s content indexing.

There are Pros & Cons utilizing a media server on my network as it provides a lot of flexibility for multiple users to view the same content at several remote locations. The big negative is it complicates the archival system(s) and requires the local media server to always be on and connected to the network. This could be accomplished w/ a separate very low powered SSD media server devise connected to the network and the NAS storage media database.

My DVR+ accomplishes what I wanted and that is recording high quality content in an easy and efficient manner. The longer term issue I see, is creating a large media archive library that can be easily updated and indexed. I am not sure that the DVR+ is the best single devise to accomplish this.

FWIW, I connected a 120 GB SSD drive to my DVR+. This is a SATA drive I had that I planned to use in another application. Because there are no moving parts, it's quiet, uses very little power and has very fast read and write times. Therefore, my thought was to move my saved content every few days to a much larger NAS system and then use a media server like PLEX to manage my growing library.

Has anybody thought about a dedicated NAS media server application where the DVR+ is used to record the content but not necessarily used to archive and/or play the media to one or more devices (other than for short term viewing and/or editing)..

EKS

·
Registered
416 Posts

I do know that CM support recommended unplugging the Internet and antenna. For some reason they HIGHLY recommend unplugging them, it does something internally that helps get past internal issues.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/210#post_24082374

Will this run correctly with Xbox One? Meaning the use of the Xbox Guide, voice commands, etc.

Has anyone verified the above?

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24459848

I'm using http://www.antennapoint.com/ to identify if and where there are transmitters, crank up and point the rooftop antenna using a hand compass, change the zipcode, change the timezone and do a fresh auto channel scan. 

Bill

Try         https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29  

It is pretty d*mn accurate for my location. It lists stations from more than 60 miles away that are VERY strong here and come in with an indoor antenna. (Your site, antennapoint, on the other hand lists stations that due to terrain are not even receivable with a deep fringe antenna 40 ft in the air. Actually 8 of the 10 stations it lists are not receivable). Of course your DVR+ will be doing the full scan, but it will tell you the strongest stations and the direction to point. Hope it helps. 

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24459848

In only one case did it record the wrong show and I don't know why.

When it did this, did the name in the recordings list match what was recorded, or what you intended to record?

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24459719

Thanks Russel and P Smith.

Thanks to you both!

I've tried #2 and #3 restarts multiple times without luck.  Can't do #1 since I can't get to the Menu.

I'm not sure if I want to try to install earlier firmware - again, my tech skills are novice and just trying to do the HDD dashboard seems to have screwed everything up. Unless it's really easy and intuitive for me to try older firmware, I'll probably just have to wait to speak with CM tomorrow.  But I really do appreciate all your help and quick responses!  

My case does sound identical. I tried putting 103R on a USB flash and booting with that plugged in, even though I had already updated via the Internet. it didn't change anything--just grinding gears.

It isn't a cycling reboot like the DTVPal DVR issue that prompted this purchase.

Mark

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460042

Has anyone tried to access the Channel Master DVR+ directly through their network LAN IP address? I wanted to see if I could view my recorded files from my Chrome browser by accessing the DVR+ devise from my LAN network.. Is there a specific sub directory and/or code I need to enter to view the ROM files and/or the attached USB drive files. When I just enter the IP address in my browser, all I get is the following.

File not found

My thought was I could copy one or more of my recorded programs to my NAS storage and eventually build a Plex Media Server database for all of my recorded media content created by the DVR+ devise.

http://goo.gl/tzLn2T

The Plex Media Server enriches your life by organizing all your personal media, presenting it beautifully and

streaming it to all of your devices. It's easy to use, it's awesome, and it's free!

My other option is hooking up the Slingbox 500 to stream DVR+ content to my remote devises but then I am limited to the HDD storage and DVR+'s content indexing.

There are Pros & Cons utilizing a media server on my network as it provides a lot of flexibility for multiple users to view the same content at several remote locations. The big negative is it complicates the archival system(s) and requires the local media server to always be on and connected to the network. This could be accomplished w/ a separate very low powered SSD media server devise connected to the network and the NAS storage media database.

My DVR+ accomplishes what I wanted and that is recording high quality content in an easy and efficient manner. The longer term issue I see, is creating a large media archive library that can be easily updated and indexed. I am not sure that the DVR+ is the best single devise to accomplish this.

FWIW, I connected a 120 GB SSD drive to my DVR+. This is a SATA drive I had that I planned to use in another application. Because there are no moving parts, it's quiet, uses very little power and has very fast read and write times. Therefore, my thought was to move my saved content every few days to a much larger NAS system and then use a media server like PLEX to manage my growing library.

Has anybody thought about a dedicated NAS media server application where the DVR+ is used to record the content but not necessarily used to archive and/or play the media to one or more devices (other than for short term viewing and/or editing)..

EKS
I understand where the idea came from...

but, did you your homework ? did you got CM/e* press releases, manuals, official web sites publication ? Did you read/search the thread for the matter ? Did you got any hint/clue it will works as you wish ?

My understanding you did just blind attempt, got nothing (as anyone would suspect after little research) and got frustrated ?

So far you have only one option: move the DVR's drive to your PC and take out the files as described here a few times.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460669

I understand where the idea came from...

but, did you your homework ? did you got CM/e* press releases, manuals, official web sites publication ? Did you read/search the thread for the matter ? Did you got any hint/clue it will works as you wish ?

My understanding you did just blind attempt, got nothing (as anyone would suspect after little research) and got frustrated ?

So far you have only one option: move the DVR's drive to your PC and take out the files as described here a few times.

I spent about 10 hours researching Google and the Channel Master Web site. I read through all of the post on this thread and thought there might be a better solution than removing the HDD and scanning directly from the PC. I have not tried to EMAIL Channel Master w/ my question as I thought this forum might provide a link and/or possible answer to my specific question "accessing the DVR+ directly from my LAN network.".

I did go to CM's Web site but found nothing specific to how one would access the DVR+ from their network. Nothing was in their Channel Master Quick start guide that came w/ my DVR+ machine. Since CM can do automatic updates to the devise, I assume that the DVR+ does connect remotely and/or responds to direct IP queries from Channel Master's server.

I thought this forum might be a good resource for an answer. Maybe someone w/ more knowledge regarding how the DVR+ devise is connected to my LAN can provide some help. Typically there are some "hidden commands" one can ping to the devise to obtain at least some top level operating statistics. It may require one or more network line specific commands from Windows but rather than blindly probing the IP address, I thought I would ask any network gurus here first.

Thank you for taking the time to respond but I do believe there are other options than moving the DVR+ drive to the PC. If I find the solution, I will post them accordingly.

EKS

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460774

I did go to CM's Web site but found nothing specific to how one would access the DVR+ from their network.

Even if Channel Master knows how to port recordings to other devices, I doubt they will tell us.  In December last year I asked them if the video files could be brought to Windows 8, and their reply is as follows: 
Quote:
No you can not put the shows on a computer to download or burn onto a disk.
Of course, we now know that’s not true since several DVD+ owners have done just that.  Maybe CM really doesn’t know how to do this, but I suspect they are afraid of being sued by the evil Entertainment Industry, even though we are well within our rights to do this for personal use.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24457192

I think I'll give up for now. It looks like I'll have to get a new unit. Maybe I can access the files then.

If you're returning your DVR+ in the hope that a replacement will let you easily access the files you record, get a TViX 6620 instead. You can just FTP the recordings over your home network or access them directly for streaming with SMB.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460774

I spent about 10 hours researching Google and the Channel Master Web site. I read through all of the post on this thread and thought there might be a better solution than removing the HDD and scanning directly from the PC. I have not tried to EMAIL Channel Master w/ my question as I thought this forum might provide a link and/or possible answer to my specific question "accessing the DVR+ directly from my LAN network.".

I did go to CM's Web site but found nothing specific to how one would access the DVR+ from their network. Nothing was in their Channel Master Quick start guide that came w/ my DVR+ machine. Since CM can do automatic updates to the devise, I assume that the DVR+ does connect remotely and/or responds to direct IP queries from Channel Master's server.

I thought this forum might be a good resource for an answer. Maybe someone w/ more knowledge regarding how the DVR+ devise is connected to my LAN can provide some help. Typically there are some "hidden commands" one can ping to the devise to obtain at least some top level operating statistics. It may require one or more network line specific commands from Windows but rather than blindly probing the IP address, I thought I would ask any network gurus here first.

Thank you for taking the time to respond but I do believe there are other options than moving the DVR+ drive to the PC. If I find the solution, I will post them accordingly.

EKS
wish I've read that before your post ... anyway, we are collecting best knowledge about the model [K77, CM-7500, DVR+); many bright smart ppl try do many things with it; I think you will not find best place to discuss the DVR.

As to FW updates (you didn't mention time correction by NTP, or VUDU) it using 'pull' technology, CM/e* servers doesn't connecting to your DVR, they are just respond to requests.

If you will read the thread you will find some port numbers what we found so far ... but not revealed its purpose.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If xxx is the IP address of your DVR+, then attempting to connect to " http://xxx/anypage.html " from a browser results in:

File not found

This you have seen. Likewise, if you enter the windows command line "telnet xxx 80" and hit enter a few of times, it will produce an "Error 400: Bad Request". While not terribly encouraging, what it means is that the DVR+ is running a web server on the standard port; and for some URL in which "anypage.html" is replaced by some other (super secret) name, it may respond with some sort of web page or menu offering some sort of service(s). As Chuck Tribolet pointed out, it may also be part of the Rovi guide interface, though I can't imagine they would need a server on the DVR+ end to support that.

It is a hacker's challenge to figure out what the secret page is. More than likely it will just lead to a service menu, but it's always possible it could offer to let you download a recording I suppose.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460241

When it did this, did the name in the recordings list match what was recorded, or what you intended to record?
I was trying to record NBC Nightly News by name. I think the ROVI information dropped out and the PSIP information for the channel was blank. It recorded the correct half hour but switched to a Espanic channel. It only did it once, so I'm really not sure what it did.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24460192

Try         https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29  

It is pretty d*mn accurate for my location. It lists stations from more than 60 miles away that are VERY strong here and come in with an indoor antenna. (Your site, antennapoint, on the other hand lists stations that due to terrain are not even receivable with a deep fringe antenna 40 ft in the air. Actually 8 of the 10 stations it lists are not receivable). Of course your DVR+ will be doing the full scan, but it will tell you the strongest stations and the direction to point. Hope it helps. 
Thanks. I'll try it at the next stop in a week.

Bill

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bill, I think you will find tvfool much more informative than your old site. When I ran a search of my local area with antennapoint.com, it missed several transmitters and included ones that I could only get if there were a drone hovering in the air over the mountains between us with a repeater...

·
Registered
432 Posts
BTW, I've been lurking here waiting to hear about you gamma testers finding bugs before purchasing. So, I would like to know...

How did the DST transition go? Lose any timers? Any misfiring?

Can you tell I also have been reading the DTVPal and CM7400 threads since their inception?

·
Registered
120 Posts
On Thursday night, finally chose to upgrade via memory stick; last attempt to install via wireless i could not get internet connection (of course wirelss connectivty excellent). Performed factory reset, then upgraded just fine from stick. (had to delete 150 channels).

So today I watched Friday's Undercover Boss and Hawaii5O. Every so often (about 8 minutes) the picture would freeze, remote did nothing, about 40 sections later skips a brief section of video and plays again. When this happens, both rewinds take you back to only where the freeze began. Very painful to watch.

So decided to play back Academy Awards, and the same behavior. (i've watched the Academy playback twice before with no issues).

Therefore the freezing is being caused by play back, not recording.

So since upgrade, I am experiencing play back freezing.

I am the one who allows the unit to be turned off via wall plug timer 18 hours a day.

My HDD is Seagate 3TB from Costco.

This thing is starting to drive me crazy.

2461 - 2480 of 17993 Posts