AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461063

If xxx is the IP address of your DVR+, then attempting to connect to " http://xxx/anypage.html " from a browser results in:

Error 404: Not Found

File not found

This you have seen. Likewise, if you enter the windows command line "telnet xxx 80" and hit enter a few of times, it will produce an "Error 400: Bad Request". While not terribly encouraging, what it means is that the DVR+ is running a web server on the standard port; and for some URL in which "anypage.html" is replaced by some other (super secret) name, it may respond with some sort of web page or menu offering some sort of service(s). As Chuck Tribolet pointed out, it may also be part of the Rovi guide interface, though I can't imagine they would need a server on the DVR+ end to support that.

It is a hacker's challenge to figure out what the secret page is. More than likely it will just lead to a service menu, but it's always possible it could offer to let you download a recording I suppose.
someone did try it already

see post#1300 and below it

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24459771

You might want to try unplugging it for half an hour and then plugging it in again.  Some devices need to be unplugged for a while to get the full benefit.
I'd unplugged it for hours before posting here, so unfortunately this didn't work. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2430#post_24459792

I don't see where any of you who have this problem have tried disconnecting the antenna cable. You might want to check out the DTV-PAL thread for suggestions of how to get out of the boot up loop. This sounds like the same problem that unit had and it is the same people who programed the device. It would be worth trying.
I also tried unplugging the antenna cable overnight, and unfortunately this didn't work either.  Thanks anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24459795

I wouldn't worry about your actions done with the drive on PC; the DVR can works w/out it perfectly - it has own storage [16 GB] for a couple hours of recordings. Just disconnect the drive for now and concentrate on DVR itself.

Get USB stick, download 103R and try to use it again
Ok, I downloaded the 103R to an empty USB stick, and tried to start it up again with multiple configurations (only plugging in power to DVR+, w/ and w/o HDMI cable attached, inserting the USB while the DVR+ was on and before turning the DVR+ on, restarting using the power button while the USB was plugged in, etc).  

All I did was download the software, copy it to my empty USB stick and plug it into the USB on the DVR+ (I also tried plugging it into either of the two ports).  I assumed the DVR+ would somehow sense the new software, but it's still stuck on grinding gears.  :(   Unless I'm doing something with the USB wrong (I remember some discussion about the USB format, but again my tech skills are not advanced enough to understand how to change the formatting of a USB stick unless there's a step-by-step for it), I think I need to wait and talk with CM.

Big thanks to everyone who tried to help!  I'll let you know what CM tells me and what the fix is (if found).

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/1290#post_24224452

The Rovi servers supply the data for its guide. If it's that far off you might send them an email. They are located in the North East. It used to (with TVGOS) update every 15 seconds with their analog inserters.

One time it was off 62 seconds for six months before they fixed it. The TVGOS time on my TV is spot on, but it is a different guide (V10).

http://www.rovicorp.com/support.html
looks like the DVR+ using v9, it's opening site http://roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com/TVlistings/v9/

[the FW is full of security features: Nuron support, Sureware, russion encryption http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOST_%28block_cipher%29 ... man !]

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you go into Settings-Technical Info-Software Notices-; on page 2 you will see that our DVR+ uses open source software specifically a Linux Kernel shell for it's operating system. The information page references an online manual "for the most up to date open source usage guidelines" which I would assume would include a list of all the software and/or networking utilities used in the DVR+.

The one utility that caught my eye was 'Busybox" referenced on page 2 of the Software notice page.

Here is a link to Busybox: http://goo.gl/ucjGf (Note there is an Javascript x86 emulator you can test out).

BusyBox is an utility application which executes on an embedded Linux system to provide you with a bunch of handy Unix / Linux tools.

If I am able to run one or more of the Busybox utility execuitibles, I should be able to view the DVR+ mounted HDD, the partitions and files. If I can accomplish that, then it should be pretty easy to move one or more of the recorded media files to a NAS HDD on my network.

I will need to study the DVR+ Open Source software components a bit more. I will post anything that might be useful. For now it's a work in progress.

EKS

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461481

someone did try it already

see post#1300 and below it
Yes, I know. I only re-iterated it here because reacheks asked about it (the possibility of accessing the files on the hard drive remotely) and that thread was quite a while ago.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461737

Yes, I know. I only re-iterated it here because reacheks asked about it (the possibility of accessing the files on the hard drive remotely) and that thread was quite a while ago.

Didn't Channel Master announce an extender quite a while back? 

Bingochea said that whole-home DRV functionality was one of the most-requested features, which is why the company is now developing an adapter that can be connected to other TVs in the house to stream recordings from a DVR+ over the local network. 

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channel-master-dvr-plus-extender/

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461486

I'd unplugged it for hours before posting here, so unfortunately this didn't work. Thanks though!

I also tried unplugging the antenna cable overnight, and unfortunately this didn't work either.  Thanks anyway!

Big thanks to everyone who tried to help!  I'll let you know what CM tells me and what the fix is (if found).

I am not sure by reading your post what exactly you did try. Here is what I have used to get my PAL unit started again: When you attempt to start the unit after it has been unplugged you must have the antenna cable disconnected. If it were me I would have all of the USB ports empty too. Then depending on what happens I would attempt to press the select button at various different times after you first plug the unit back in and attempt a soft reboot unless the unit goes directly to a good start up and hopefully to some menu screen. Fortunately my unit (DVR+) has not died yet but then again I have not done the FW update either. You will have to give it a few tries most likely but eventually it may allow you in. When you do get in be sure to immediately do a Restore Factory Defaults. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue

I also tried unplugging the antenna cable overnight, and unfortunately this didn't work either. Thanks anyway!

Big thanks to everyone who tried to help! I'll let you know what CM tells me and what the fix is (if found).

I've had the same behavior: grinding gears, flashing blue lights, no response, no combination of things plugged or unplugged makes any difference. The interesting thing here is that my symptoms came after swapping my old Hitachi drive for a Seagate Backup Slim 1.5TB. So maybe there is a Seagate issue?

I found a way to force the unit into a firmware update. It involves a hard reboot with the power button and then re-pressing the button at a certain point during boot-up. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to consistently get it to work, so I can't give you the exacting button timing. But I got it to update the firmware both online and by usb .. of course, I have no idea if either were actually successful. I've looked for a previous firmware to install as a last resort, can anyone point me to the the old firmware anywhere?

I heard back from CM this morning, their only solution is a warranty return.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Has anyone noticed any issues with the channel strength on the DVR+? I am showing 54% signal strength on a channel when checking on the DVR+ but showing 75-77% signal strength of the same channel on my Panasonic Viera plasma.

·
Banned
154 Posts
When checking other channels I noticed there is some discrepancy too. On the DVR+ all channels are showing 100% signal strength except for said above channel. The thing is those other channels are not showing at 100% on my Panasonic Viera (most are somewhere in the 80%+ range).

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
each mfg, each new model and sometimes (dish/e* sat DVR) new FW version has OWN meaning of the signal level value

you can't compare these

in end user world, it will be better to orient to signal quality of OTA signal (number of errors [BER] or SNR in some models)

·
Registered
416 Posts

So I am watching some of my DVR+ recordings, catching up on NBC's revolution. Go to watch the last one in the folder and instead it is CW's Arrow. Anyone else ever have this happen? It is labeled as the right show, from the right channel, but it recorded the wrong channel???

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463820

So I am watching some of my DVR+ recordings, catching up on NBC's revolution. Go to watch the last one in the folder and instead it is CW's Arrow. Anyone else ever have this happen? It is labeled as the right show, from the right channel, but it recorded the wrong channel???

Yes, I have had this happen.

I think there is at least one other report of it on this forum.

Mark

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463776

each mfg, each new model and sometimes (dish/e* sat DVR) new FW version has OWN meaning of the signal level value

you can't compare these

in end user world, it will be better to orient to signal quality of OTA signal (number of errors [BER] or SNR in some models)

I am trying to determine if the DVR+ is to blame for signal dropouts/pixelation that I have been experiencing on a couple of channels since replacing my second antenna. Wondering if the problem is with the DVR+ or if I may need something like this device to help with what is going on: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf

That's why I asked about the signal strength.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24463594

I've had the same behavior: grinding gears, flashing blue lights, no response, no combination of things plugged or unplugged makes any difference. The interesting thing here is that my symptoms came after swapping my old Hitachi drive for a Seagate Backup Slim 1.5TB. So maybe there is a Seagate issue?

I'm starting to think the common thread for this failure is that the HDD is removed, changed or moved to a different USB port.

Mark

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463894

I am trying to determine if the DVR+ is to blame for signal dropouts/pixelation that I have been experiencing on a couple of channels since replacing my second antenna. Wondering if the problem is with the DVR+ or if I may need something like this device to help with what is going on: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf

That's why I asked about the signal strength.
Be careful with something like this, depending on whether you are using uhf, vhf, uhf/vhf combined, antennas pointed in the same direction etc. I tried something like this with two antennas, but because of co-channels, I lost a lot of my stations completely. 

The tuners on the DVR+ are not nearly as strong as my tv, so it doesn't get as many channels as my tv split lead of the coax. Also If you are receiving stations off the back (rear) of the antenna (say from the south, with your antenna pointed north) the DVR+ is garbage. My tv gets a lot of the stations from Fresno pointed at Sacramento and from Sacramento pointed at Fresno. But the DVR+, tends to pixelate and drop all of these (rear of antenna) even with good signal strength and quality. It doesn't seem to be able to handle those types of stations well. 

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463950

I'm starting to think the common thread for this failure is that the HDD is removed, changed or moved to a different USB port.

Mark
When my HDD failed, it sent my DVR+ into fits for a day or so. New HDD installed and problems disappeared, and working fine.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463820

Sounds like another serious problem for this DVR. I NEVER had anything like that happen with my PALDVR.

2481 - 2500 of 17993 Posts