AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 17991 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463977

Be careful with something like this, depending on whether you are using uhf, vhf, uhf/vhf combined, antennas pointed in the same direction etc. I tried something like this with two antennas, but because of co-channels, I lost a lot of my stations completely. 

The tuners on the DVR+ are not nearly as strong as my tv, so it doesn't get as many channels as my tv split lead of the coax. Also If you are receiving stations off the back (rear) of the antenna (say from the south, with your antenna pointed north) the DVR+ is garbage. My tv gets a lot of the stations from Fresno pointed at Sacramento and from Sacramento pointed at Fresno. But the DVR+, tends to pixelate and drop all of these (rear of antenna) even with good signal strength and quality. It doesn't seem to be able to handle those types of stations well. 

I am using a Clearstream 2V for NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, and PBS.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-2V-UHF-VHF-Long-Range-Indoor-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

I am using a Clearstream 91XG for Fox: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/91XG-Ultra-Long-Range-DTV-Antenna.html

I should not be picking up any channels from the rear of either antenna.

If it helps, here is my tvfool plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b940f11af42d0

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464027

I am using a Clearstream 2V for NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, and PBS.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-2V-UHF-VHF-Long-Range-Indoor-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

I am using a Clearstream 91XG for Fox: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/91XG-Ultra-Long-Range-DTV-Antenna.html

I should not be picking up any channels from the rear of either antenna.

If it helps, here is my tvfool plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b940f11af42d0
If you look on your tvfool, you will see stations from 180 behind you whichever way you point, and you have a number of co-channels listed. Just a heads up warning, my tvfool  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94d0064f7ba7  doesn't have stations at 180, more like 140 degrees and PBS from Frsno took out Fox from Sacramento (both channel 40). 

Do you have a preamp?

·
Registered
416 Posts

Found another instance, trying to watch Supernatural on CW, and it recorded Person of Interest on CBS.

Both of these incorrectly recorder (yet properly labeled) shows were recorded before the FW update.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464117

If you look on your tvfool, you will see stations from 180 behind you whichever way you point, and you have a number of co-channels listed. Just a heads up warning, my tvfool  http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94d0064f7ba7  doesn't have stations at 180, more like 140 degrees and PBS from Frsno took out Fox from Sacramento (both channel 40). 

Do you have a preamp?

I see those stations at 180 degrees but I am not picking them up. I am using this amp as I am splitting my signal to 3 TV's: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-3410-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B001FY0B90/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390930002&sr=1-1&keywords=cm3410+distribution+amp

·
Registered
416 Posts

so both antennas will be pointing the same direction?

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464234

so both antennas will be pointing the same direction?

The C2V is pointed at approximately 50 degrees. The 91XG is pointed at 350 degrees.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464121

Found another instance, trying to watch Supernatural on CW, and it recorded Person of Interest on CBS.

Both of these incorrectly recorder (yet properly labeled) shows were recorded before the FW update.
What are the virtual and RF channels of both the intended and recorded stations?

Chuck

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24463950

I'm starting to think the common thread for this failure is that the HDD is removed, changed or moved to a different USB port.

Mark

I had this problem with my DVR+ and wound up getting it replaced by CM. With the new one, I plugged in the same drive that I had before and after a couple of weeks, still no recurrence of the problem.

·
Registered
416 Posts
From personal experience, combining UHF antennas facing different directions, plays havoc on reception. Especially during inversions. It send like the tuners on the DVR+ are more susceptible to these issues than my TVs tuner is. I have a splitter right out of the wall feeding my TV and the DVR+. When my DVR+ has signal issues, I can just switch to the TV to watch (if its live)

I would recommend a remote operated switch if you have to have 2 UHF antennas pointed separate directions, or a rotor.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464309

What are the virtual and RF channels of both the intended and recorded stations?

Chuck

Revolution was on KCRA 3 (rf 35) recorded CW 31 (rf 21)

Supernatural was on CW 31 KMAX (rf 21) recorded CBS 13 KOVR (rf 25).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Post #1009 dated 1/9/2014 shows the DVR+ Mother Board and parts. The CPU is described as a U1: BROADCOM BCM72131ZBKFEBA03G/TN1333 P22/313468 P3A. I tried to find more info on this but my GOOGLE search came up w/ nothing. I was wondering if anybody knew just what this Broadcom chip was designed for. There must be some other processor and/or CPU to handle the Linux shell.

I was looking at the complete hardware specifications and am convinced that at some point this platform may/could be upgraded to a full media server. This could be accomplished w/ a simple software upgrade that installs an open source Linux media server package (like PLEX). PLEX only requires 100MB to install and has a variant that runs under Linux. There are 3rd part NAS storage plug-in solutions that provides more than ample storage to handle a growing media library (4TB off the shelf NAS RAID for $250.00).

The PLEX media server also has a pretty smart application to create meta data tags for all it's content including those created over-the-air by DVR+. The only problem I see in installing the software directly onto the DVR+ machine is that the CPU may not be powerful enough to trans-code the media files into standard Mpeg4 formats unless this Broadcom chip is optimized for this type of processing.

One of the most exciting things is the DVR+ has the 200 channel series already set up to add Internet channels. Plex has the same thing for Internet media content called "Plex Channels". What the DVR+ brings to the party is the ability to record the "Plex Channels" if/when they are loaded into the 200 series of channels.

The interface for the upgrade would be quite easy by deploying a Web based configuration screen by logging into the local IP address for the devise. All the software components are Linux based, the DVR+ is a perfect platform to also run the server 24/7 (low power, SSD storage, able to do the media file meta data file conversion in the background), can access the Internet through the network to gather meta data, and is a much better media solution when both a DVR and media server is in one package.

The media clients offered by PLEX are also free and can run on all platforms (PC, Apple, Android) which means that CM can offer their own client devises when loaded w/ the Plex software. Customers simply get the client software from the GOOGLE Play market ( http://goo.gl/4rKj05 )t and/or Apple market.

Plex also offer a remote service (free) that allows you to connect to your own Plex server anywhere in the World.

How To Access Your Plex Library From A Remote Computer http://goo.gl/VQPkpb

Many of the Plex clients now also work w/ Google Chromecast.

I would be watching Channel Master and any announcement for a media server partner. From what I can tell, the DVR+ has all the necessary hardware, storage and network hooks in place that only a software overlay needs to be installed (running under the Linux shell) and possible NAS attached storage drive.

Just speculation on my part but that could be the ultimate design they are looking in the next generation product and/or upgrade.

FWIW, I still would like to see a AM/FM Radio turner built in so one could record (and/or Placeshift) local baseball broadcasts. If in another city and you try to access your local radio station, MLB limits what is transmitted through the Internet. Would love to record the broadcast and send the MP3 file to my smart phone (perhaps in pieces) for listening when out of town.

EKS

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
The 103R firmware is not the final release. The next update is in beta now. The bug list for 103R was very, very long. The bug list for the next release is more manageable and looks to address some of the issues people are reporting on. Stay tuned for the release -- no set date, but it is coming.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464331

I had this problem with my DVR+ and wound up getting it replaced by CM. With the new one, I plugged in the same drive that I had before and after a couple of weeks, still no recurrence of the problem.

That looks like what I am going to do. (BTW, did you have to pay for shipping? Looks like I do.) However, just to pass some info on to the thread, I did try a couple of other things first that did not work for me but might work for someone else.

The unit has a recovery mode where you can install the firmware. This is how I got to it:
  1. With unit on, press and hold power button until hard restart
  2. LED will come on, then go off. When it turns off, release power button and press again, holding for 5 seconds
  3. After 5 second hold, release power button. The screen will go gray, then the unit will enter recovery mode.

In recovery mode, it will try internet update first, then look for one on a usb drive. I downgraded to 102R final and 102R beta and re-upgraded to 103R with no success, but maybe this will help someone else with another problem.

Personally, I think that this recovery mode process, since it seems to be there as a last resort for firmware upgrade, *should* also wipe the NVRAM and reset the unit to factory defaults. Maybe it does do this and the NVRAM just wasn't my problem, but based on experience with linux-based routers (dd-wrt), this really seems like a corrupted settings/NVRAM problem.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
@EKS

you're mistakenly positioning SSD as a storage for DVR here a few times;

you shouldn't use it in DVR by a couple reasons:

- it lasts much less than HDD, because consumer's grade SSD guarantied 3,000 re-writes

- it costs you 10 times - for a price of 120 GB SSD you could by 1TB drive

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464704

That looks like what I am going to do. (BTW, did you have to pay for shipping? Looks like I do.) However, just to pass some info on to the thread, I did try a couple of other things first that did not work for me but might work for someone else.

The unit has a recovery mode where you can install the firmware. This is how I got to it:
  1. With unit on, press and hold power button until hard restart
  2. LED will come on, then go off. When it turns off, release power button and press again, holding for 5 seconds
  3. After 5 second hold, release power button. The screen will go gray, then the unit will enter recovery mode.

In recovery mode, it will try internet update first, then look for one on a usb drive. I downgraded to 102R final and 102R beta and re-upgraded to 103R with no success, but maybe this will help someone else with another problem.

I think that this recovery mode process, since it seems to be there as a last resort for firmware upgrade, should also wipe the NVRAM and reset the unit to factory defaults. Maybe it does do this and the NVRAM just wasn't my problem, but based on experience with linux-based routers (dd-wrt), this really seems like a corrupted settings/NVRAM problem.
nice discovery ! thank you for sharing with us

looks to me pretty sophisticated to find it by yourself - how you found that ? or you got it from cm/e* as a hint ?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464729

nice discovery ! thank you for sharing with us

looks to me pretty sophisticated to find it by yourself - how you found that ? or you got it from cm/e* as a hint ?

Wish I could claim sophistication, but randomly pressing the power button like a monkey while trying to get a factory reset is how I found it. The hard part was figuring out how I did it the first time once I discovered it existed. I even tried a 30-30-30 hard reset since the DVR+ has a broadcom chip in it, but no luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464712

@EKS

you're mistakenly positioning SSD as a storage for DVR here a few times;

you shouldn't use it in DVR by a couple reasons:

- it lasts much less than HDD, because consumer's grade SSD guarantied 3,000 re-writes

- it costs you 10 times - for a price of 120 GB SSD you could by 1TB drive
3000 rewrites at once per day is about 8 years.  And that would mean it was being filled once a day (SERIOUS TV Junkie)  SSDs have firmware to spread move things on disk as seen by the computer to different places in the flash in order to spread out the wear. 

Agree about the cost,

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464854

3000 rewrites at once per day is about 8 years.  And that would mean it was being filled once a day (SERIOUS TV Junkie)  SSDs have firmware to spread move things on disk as seen by the computer to different places in the flash in order to spread out the wear. 

Agree about the cost,
reconsider the value "at once per day", it is a DVR !

specifically want to remind you about circular buffer

[hope, you are not that person
who did decide/influence to make 16 GB internal storage utilize such NAND memory; perhaps in a year I would expect to see trouble reports related to wearing it, especially for those owners who cut cost and don't using external HDD]

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24465043

reconsider the value "at once per day", it is a DVR !

specifically want to remind you about circular buffer

[hope, you are not that person
who did decide/influence to make 16 GB internal storage utilize such NAND memory; perhaps in a year I would expect to see trouble reports related to wearing it, especially for those owners who cut cost and don't using external HDD]
Circular buffer doesn't mean in the same place in the flash every time.  The SSD firmware prevents that.

And the circular buffer is only used if you have an external hard drive.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24465096

Circular buffer doesn't mean in the same place in the flash every time.  The SSD firmware prevents that.

And the circular buffer is only used if you have an external hard drive.
well, you are made hell of assumption when said "one per day", now try to procure that ...

wanna dive into details ?

- NAND memory chip working with sectors [2KB] so each small change will write to 2 KB sectors each time

- circular buffer for non-HDD config is exist and sized as 15 mins of current channel recording;

lets count in bytes: good HD channel taking 15 Mbps stream for video, so 15,000,000x900/8/10^6 ~ 1.7 GB, divide by 2048 we are getting 824,000 hits for sectors

whole storage is 16 GB, so roughly 10 times more

so, tell my how is your assumption got the mythical 1 write per day ? I don't see how it possible

2501 - 2520 of 17991 Posts