AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24465261

well, you are made hell of assumption when said "one per day", now try to procure that ...

wanna dive into details ?

- NAND memory chip working with sectors [2KB] so each small change will write to 2 KB sectors each time

- circular buffer for non-HDD config is exist and sized as 15 mins of current channel recording;

lets count in bytes: good HD channel taking 15 Mbps stream for video, so 15,000,000x900/8/10^6 ~ 1.7 GB, divide by 2048 we are getting 824,000 hits for sectors

whole storage is 16 GB, so roughly 10 times more

so, tell my how is your assumption got the mythical 1 write per day ? I don't see how it possible
According to the manual, the circular buffer is only when you have an external hard drive.

Also, you are assuming that the customer is watching live TV 7/24 (no circular buffer if the customer is not watch live TV).

And your math is more complex than it needs to be:

(15,000,000 bps / 8 bits/byte) * 60 seconds/min * 60 minutes / hour * 24 hours/day = 162,000,000,000 bytes/day

Same answer assuming the circular buffer is running, but far easier to understand.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464704

That looks like what I am going to do. (BTW, did you have to pay for shipping? Looks like I do.) However, just to pass some info on to the thread, I did try a couple of other things first that did not work for me but might work for someone else.

The unit has a recovery mode where you can install the firmware. This is how I got to it:
  1. With unit on, press and hold power button until hard restart
  2. LED will come on, then go off. When it turns off, release power button and press again, holding for 5 seconds
  3. After 5 second hold, release power button. The screen will go gray, then the unit will enter recovery mode.

In recovery mode, it will try internet update first, then look for one on a usb drive. I downgraded to 102R final and 102R beta and re-upgraded to 103R with no success, but maybe this will help someone else with another problem.

Personally, I think that this recovery mode process, since it seems to be there as a last resort for firmware upgrade, *should* also wipe the NVRAM and reset the unit to factory defaults. Maybe it does do this and the NVRAM just wasn't my problem, but based on experience with linux-based routers (dd-wrt), this really seems like a corrupted settings/NVRAM problem.

I managed to get into the recovery process as you described. But my DVR+ still gets stuck at the grinding gears too.

If your suspicion about corrupt NVRAM is correct, I would think they could supply a routine to fix it that could be loaded through this process.

If they make me pay shipping to send back a box that worked for less than 2 weeks, I'm going to be pretty "irritated". That's just wrong.

Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts

Originally Posted by tmn1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461795

When you attempt to start the unit after it has been unplugged you must have the antenna cable disconnected. If it were me I would have all of the USB ports empty too. Then depending on what happens I would attempt to press the select button at various different times after you first plug the unit back in and attempt a soft reboot unless the unit goes directly to a good start up and hopefully to some menu screen. You will have to give it a few tries most likely but eventually it may allow you in. When you do get in be sure to immediately do a Restore Factory Defaults. 
I'm not sure what the "select button" is - perhaps the power button on the DVR+?  I'm wondering if what you're describing is similar to the suggestion badsede made below...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464331

I had this problem with my DVR+ and wound up getting it replaced by CM. With the new one, I plugged in the same drive that I had before and after a couple of weeks, still no recurrence of the problem.
So grateful to hear this from someone with the same experience - CM said I need to get the unit replaced:

" We will be looking into this as soon as we can. This seems as though pulling the hard drive and connecting it or something may have caused it to go into a reboot mode. The box will need to be replaced as there is no fix for this at the moment. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2490#post_24464704

That looks like what I am going to do. (BTW, did you have to pay for shipping? Looks like I do.) However, just to pass some info on to the thread, I did try a couple of other things first that did not work for me but might work for someone else.

The unit has a recovery mode where you can install the firmware. This is how I got to it:
  2. LED will come on, then go off. When it turns off, release power button and press again, holding for 5 seconds
  3. After 5 second hold, release power button. The screen will go gray, then the unit will enter recovery mode.

In recovery mode, it will try internet update first, then look for one on a usb drive. I downgraded to 102R final and 102R beta and re-upgraded to 103R with no success, but maybe this will help someone else with another problem.

Personally, I think that this recovery mode process, since it seems to be there as a last resort for firmware upgrade, *should* also wipe the NVRAM and reset the unit to factory defaults. Maybe it does do this and the NVRAM just wasn't my problem, but based on experience with linux-based routers (dd-wrt), this really seems like a corrupted settings/NVRAM problem.
I will be trying the warranty exchange and thanks for the heads up re: paying for shipping - I will request free shipping.  However, I will first try your recovery mode suggestion tonight when I get home.  For Steps #1-2, do you mean that I press and hold the power button until the LED shuts off (indicating the hard reset), and then the LED comes on and turns off once again before I release the power button and press it again?  Just want to be clear on the steps, as I don't remember the LED turning off again after the initial hard reset (but I wasn't looking for it too).

I'll try this with the USB containing 103R attached to the unit.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465403

I managed to get into the recovery process as you described. But my DVR+ still gets stuck at the grinding gears too.

If your suspicion about corrupt NVRAM is correct, I would think they could supply a routine to fix it that could be loaded through this process.

If they make me pay shipping to send back a box that worked for less than 2 weeks, I'm going to be pretty "irritated". That's just wrong.

Mark
Oof, that doesn't bode well for my planned attempt - hah, well I'll still try!

I'm totally with you about the shipping. Hopefully their customer service understands and waives it...?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465333

According to the manual, the circular buffer is only when you have an external hard drive.

still grasping a straw ... just remove the HDD, press Pause and post snapshot from your TV screen

no need to refer to outdated incorrect manual - bad defense !

assumptions, assumptions ... I did show you that fact of having the buffer [15 min] from my DVR+ , not from a manual ! - yield in first 15 min of watching A LOT OF WRITING !!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465444

I'm not sure what the "select button" is - perhaps the power button on the DVR+?  I'm wondering if what you're describing is similar to the suggestion badsede made below...?

Thanks again for the help!
The select button is the OK button. I would attempt to break out without using anything in the USB ports. What you are trying to accomplish is to break the loop. You might be able to get there by pressing any of the buttons on remote but I would try the OK button and the Menu button and I would try it right after you press the power button to initiate a warm boot. As soon as the screen changes try pressing and holding or even multiple presses of either of those buttons. This is kind of CPR. You keep trying until you run out of energy or the machine expires. Remember it is just like CPR in that the machine is virtually dead now so you can't really make it worse. Good luck and if you do get to a menu screen stop for a moment and write down exactly what you did to get there. Then immediately do a Default Factory reset. Good luck and may the force be with you...

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2460#post_24461360

BTW, I've been lurking here waiting to hear about you gamma testers finding bugs . . . .

How did the DST transition go? Lose any timers? Any misfiring?

No one seems to have responded to your questions about the daylight saving time issue.

I guess that means no one had a problem, which surprises me with all the earlier reporting of clock problems, needs for buffers, etc.

My DVR+ clock made the time change correctly. I set the two-day guide (I'm awaiting arrival of my Wi-Fi adapter) to record the PBS late-night replay of "Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" (originally broadcast in 1992). Recording was to begin one hour after the "spring forward," and it did. No glitch.

--DawnSun

Reactions: partsman_ba

·
Registered
202 Posts
Theducksfan2010

>> trying to watch Supernatural on CW, and it recorded Person of Interest on CBS

> Supernatural was on CW 31 KMAX (rf 21) recorded CBS 13 KOVR (rf 25).

Supernatural and Person of Interest are not in the same timeslot.

·
Registered
27 Posts

In recovery mode, it will try internet update first, then look for one on a usb drive. 
I was able to get it into recover mode (and realized I had gotten it to this at some point over the weekend as well, but didn't realize it or know what to do!), but the download of the FW failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465560

The select button is the OK button. I would attempt to break out without using anything in the USB ports. What you are trying to accomplish is to break the loop. You might be able to get there by pressing any of the buttons on remote but I would try the OK button and the Menu button and I would try it right after you press the power button to initiate a warm boot. As soon as the screen changes try pressing and holding or even multiple presses of either of those buttons.
Tried this too, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Whelp, I've officially given up!  I'll be asking for a replacement from CM.  Hoping it won't cost me anything additional...

Thanks again to all for your help!  :)

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465990

Theducksfan2010

>> trying to watch Supernatural on CW, and it recorded Person of Interest on CBS

Which makes it even more odd, does it not. It filed it in the Supernatural folder, has the right episode information, but the actual recording is of Person of Interest

·
Registered
4 Posts

We have also observed the DVR+ getting the channel ID wrong.  We have seen it on live TV (showing PBS while labeling it as our ABC affiliate) as well as on what was recorded (show says "the Good Wife" but it recorded something else on the another channel).  

We have been using the device for a couple of weeks now.  Sure hope these errors don't happen often.  Possibly a problem mapping virtual channels to the actual frequencies?. 

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:

I did pay for shipping. Note that the original box it came in fits very nicely in a USPS medium sized Priority Mail Flat Rate box for $12.35.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24465990

Theducksfan2010

Supernatural was recorded 02/25/2014 8:58pm 1:01:56 duration. Person of interest ran following NCIS: LA. I was using Sacramento tv at the time, with CBS 13 starting prime time at 7pm, the recording time does line up.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24466553

I did pay for shipping. Note that the original box it came in fits very nicely in a USPS medium sized Priority Mail Flat Rate box for $12.35.

FYI for those shipping via USPS Priority Mail, you only have $50 of insurance included if your package is lost, damaged, stolen, etc. You have to purchase additional insurance if you want to be fully covered above $50.

·
Banned
954 Posts
I'm somewhat of a novice but.....

I'm reading about a DVR+ having a heart attack after disconnecting the hard drive and then re-connecting it (for the purpose of activating drive software). It appears as if this occurred post 103. It appears to be uncertain as to whether or not this is related to the update.

Just wondering.....would unplugging the unit first (prior to disconnecting and reconnecting the drive) prevent this potential malfunction (assuming that this hasn't already been attempted)? Sometimes the simple things get overlooked and perhaps, if the unit is disconnected from the power, issues like this could be avoided.......just a thought.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2520#post_24467026

FYI for those shipping via USPS Priority Mail, you only have $50 of insurance included if your package is lost, damaged, stolen, etc. You have to purchase additional insurance if you want to be fully covered above $50.

It's beyond outrageous that CM would even consider having their customers pay for return shipping on a unit that's deemed defective!!

It's very wrong to not extend the courtesy of absorbing the return shipping!!

Attitudes such as this on the part of a manufacturer will only prevent their customers from recommending the product to others!

Could it be that there are so many units being returned that they're afraid of the additional cost?......How's their financial condition?......makes you wonder!

·
Registered
40 Posts

I returned mine about a month ago and had to pay the return shipping.  This product is not ready for prime time!  Try the Iview35ooSTBII.  It's only 40 bucks and works great!  Also has a better off air tuner than the CM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatz2020

I found a glitch with the ROVI TV guide.

In my area it shows channel 5.4 and 5.6 as "This TV" and the same channel guide for both.

5.4 should be "Antenna TV" The only way I can get the correct guide is to disconnect from ROVI.

I sent a message to ROVI last night regarding this error. Still waiting for a reply.

Here's the reply from ROVI:

"We do not support Echostar / Channel Master products. For support you need to contact them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2370#post_24454340

Not unexpected or out of the ordinary. If you buy a Dell computer with Windows on it, when you have problems with Windows you call Dell not Microsoft. Microsoft only supports retail purchased versions of Windows and not OEM versions that come pre-installed on retail PC's. So Channel Master has contracted with Rovi for the guide and they have to provide the support -- same way TiVo handles support for their guide.

After several emails back and forth with Channel Master nothing has been resolved. They basically said there's nothing they can do or Rovi can do to fix the channel guide. At first they said it was the broadcasters fault. They also said" remember there is a 30 day money back guarantee!" (Minus return shipping of charges of course.) So I'm stuck with a channel guide that has the complete two week guide for the wrong channel. The only fix is if I disconnect from the internet and go back the 2-day guide, then everything is correct. I sent another email to Rovi asking if they could take care of this since it is their guide. Am I asking to much to have a guide for the right channel?

·
Registered
17 Posts

I really wanted one of these.

After reading all the posts it definitely seems like the only value is in all the frustration this model provides! I’ll pass.

Thanks for providing all the valuable information, and to all those who’ve bought in Good Luck.

2521 - 2540 of 17993 Posts