AVS Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 17993 Posts

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476381

I had a 3 tb Seagate expansion, lasted 3 days and died so hard Linux couldn't find any life. Since switching to a WD 2 tb, well, none of the problems have come from the HDD.

I've heard of numerous issues (not only here) regarding unreliable Seagate drives.

......perhaps CM may want to reconsider recommending and selling them?

I've been using a WD from day one.

No issues whatsoever. Purrs like a kitten and goes to sleep after 30 minutes (right out of the box).

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476375

The results with the DVR+ leave a lot to be desired (under the same exact signal conditions). Insofar as I'm concerned, they missed the mark with this one (at least in terms of stability with questionable signals)!

......perhaps in the (learn from your mistakes) next generation DVR+2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476047

Seems as if 103 was also not quite ready for prime time!

Additionally, perhaps the Seagate drives may leave something to be desired (just speculating at this point).

......I'm using a WD (as I've never been a fan of Seagate drives). So far, so good (other than questionable tuner performance from the DVR+).

.......Avoiding 103 for now (so far, only negative reports here and no real answer as to what, if any, the improvements actually are)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476409

I've heard of numerous issues (not only here) regarding unreliable Seagate drives.

......perhaps CM may want to reconsider recommending and selling them?

I've been using a WD from day one.

No issues whatsoever. Purrs like a kitten and goes to sleep after 30 minutes (right out of the box).
Sorry to pick on you slprp1...BUT...

The question is... Why don't you and all the unhappy users that agree with your speculative assessment and perceived ideas of what and how the DVR+ should work, how it should have been made differently and how much better the old units were, simply return the unit.

Every one is entitled to their opinions, but this forum, from page one has been full of negative speculation about how the unit should be designed and how it should work.

Perhaps it would be easier to just rename the forum to:

The Channel Master DVR+ Owners (or Not) Bashing Thread

My unit works.. It does what it is advertized to do.. 

·
Registered
13,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2600_100#post_24475631

Let's replace the HDD. So I went to Costco.

Removed power from all devices. Plugged in new HDD.  DVR rebooted normally.

I've recorded two shows so far today. Watched both playbacks with no freezing.

Can anyone make sense of this?

If you can afford to lose the programs on your first HDD, I would suggest a reformat experiment based upon your positive experience of starting with a fresh disk. If there is not a menu item in the DVR+ that will do a reformat, then you can take it to a PC and use disk manager to blow away the current partitions. That way the DVR+ will reformat it when it is plugged in again.

It could be that during operation, files are kept open and active and the units are sensitive to how the USB disk is detached.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2580#post_24474336

Are you, Chris, and grj77 (post #2583) the only ones who have received the 103R update successfully using the WiFi adapter?

It was my impression that all others failed unless they used a wired connection or a flash-drive.

I was able to download 103R via the CM WiFi adapter. My memory is that it was on the second try.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24475486

Scratch that. The pixelation issues are starting to show back up again.

Some tips for you and points that I think have been overlooked in this discussion. I am not an expert by any means but from previous conversations on the AVS forum that I have been involved in:

1. Your TV is not a very good or accurate guide to your actual signal strength. Signal strength as shown by a TV is very subjective. You could hook up a dozen TVs and DVRs and get different signal strength results showing on the screen. It really does not show the quality of the signal, the tuners of the device or anything you can really hang your hat on. Different TVs and devices have there own measurement issues.

2. Your best guide to your real signal strength and quality is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) meter. Some TV's (like my SAMSUNG) do not show signal strength but show an SNR measurement. Much more meaningful.

3. When you feed into your TV you are getting 100% of the antenna output. When you feed into your DVR + it splits the signal to 2 tuners. Therefore the signal from the antenna to the TV is NOT going to be as strong, and any warts in the signal that were not as noticeable previously will show up. This is not the fault of the DVR +. It is a fact of physics.

The experts on this forum can chime in further.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2600_50#post_24475615

I don't want to get the thread off topic, but does anyone know if the Tivo Premier or Roamio tuners are better (in case I can't get this resolved with the DVR+). Also, if anyone has the code for $100 off Lifetime service would you please PM me in case I need it. Thanks!
Premiere not so great. Roamio much better. Both have their own threads.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2550_50#post_24475112

How can I tell if they are active or passive? I was running two antennas but trying to problem solve the issue I discovered I could get all my signals from one antenna: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/91XG-Ultra-Long-Range-DTV-Antenna.html

So, right now the coaxial line from that antenna is connected to the "in" port on the Channel Master 3410 distribution amp. Then the cable is going from that amp to a Holland 3FS splitter as I am sending the signal to 3 TV's.
Active splitter uses power to amplify the signal (and noise). Passive splitter does not use power and loses signal. In a perfect world a passive 1 to 2 splitter would supply 50% of the signal to each output. Your 3FS splits 1 to 3 or 4, so the 18db gain from the 3410 is mostly lost by the splitter. As was posted, signal level can be wrong or inaccurate. SNL is better. Mine is 37db. My only antennal is for FM at this time since I live where OTA is impossible without a 500' tower. Shop around for a good active splitter. Use a UPS or at least a surge strip.

Since you know the signal level by connecting the antennal directly to your antenna, a reference level can be established. Every time you change something, check the level.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2580#post_24474336

Are you, Chris, and grj77 (post #2583) the only ones who have received the 103R update successfully using the WiFi adapter?

--DawnSun
Yes, I was able to update to 103R using the CM WiFi adapter.  While I was watching something, a message came up on the screen indicating that an update was available.  I dismissed the message and then after the program was over I went to settings and checked for updates. It downloaded and installed on the first try with no errors.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476745

Active splitter uses power to amplify the signal (and noise). Passive splitter does not use power and loses signal. In a perfect world a passive 1 to 2 splitter would supply 50% of the signal to each output. Your 3FS splits 1 to 3 or 4, so the 18db gain from the 3410 is mostly lost by the splitter. As was posted, signal level can be wrong or inaccurate. SNL is better. Mine is 37db. My only antennal is for FM at this time since I live where OTA is impossible without a 500' tower. Shop around for a good active splitter. Use a UPS or at least a surge strip.

Since you know the signal level by connecting the antennal directly to your antenna, a reference level can be established. Every time you change something, check the level.

Would you please share an active splitter that would suit my current configuration: Antennas Direct 91XG coax to the Channel Master 3410 distribution amp; coax from the amp to a Holland 3FS splitter (splitting the signal to 3 TV's). Also, what do you mean by "UPS?" I have surge protector already in the attic with the connections.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2600_50#post_24477213

Would you please share an active splitter that would suit my current configuration: Antennas Direct 91XG coax to the Channel Master 3410 distribution amp; coax from the amp to a Holland 3FS splitter (splitting the signal to 3 TV's).
from post 2599:

Originally Posted by JoeKustra 

The 3410 is an amplifier. Are you using active or passive splitters? I would look at the 3414 if you are using passive splitters, then lose the splitters.

I have not used this device. Amazon has a good return policy.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Quote:
Active splitter uses power to amplify the signal (and noise). Passive splitter does not use power and loses signal.

An "active splitter" (distribution amplifier) is nothing more than an amplifier and splitter in the same mechanical package, combined for both convenience and mechanical durability. There is very, very little performance difference to be expected when comparing a distribution amplifier to the equivalent hardware consisting of a amp plus a splitter when using quality components and materials.

For example, a CM3410 plus a four port splitter is the functional equivalent of the CM3414. You'd need lab-grade equipment to discern any difference.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24477268

from post 2599:

Originally Posted by JoeKustra 

The 3410 is an amplifier. Are you using active or passive splitters? I would look at the 3414 if you are using passive splitters, then lose the splitters.

I have not used this device. Amazon has a good return policy.

Thank you! So, you are suggesting replacing the Channel Master 3410 with the Channel Master 3414. Is that correct? Isn't there more ports on there than I need? I am not sure if the Holland 3FS splitter is active or passive. This is the splitter I am using: http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=HFS-Series-Diode-Steered-Splitters

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2600_50#post_24477295

Thank you! So, you are suggesting replacing the Channel Master 3410 with the Channel Master 3414. Is that correct? Isn't there more ports on there than I need? I am not sure if the Holland 3FS splitter is active or passive. This is the splitter I am using: http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=HFS-Series-Diode-Steered-Splitters
Please see post 2631.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24477286

An "active splitter" (distribution amplifier) is nothing more than an amplifier and splitter in the same mechanical package, combine to both convenience and mechanical durability. There is very, very little performance difference to be expected when comparing a distribution amplifier to the equivalent hardware consisting of a amp plus a splitter when using quality components and materials.

For example, a CM3410 plus a four port splitter is the functional equivalent of the CM3414. You'd need lab-grade equipment to discern any difference.

So, are you saying changing out the CM3410 for the CM3414 would not make a difference? You know my configuration from TV fool. I've tried bypassing the CM3410 and not sure what else to try at this point.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24477317

So, are you saying changing out the CM3410 for the CM3414 would not make a difference? You know my configuration from TV fool.

I'm pretty sure that is what I said.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24477213
Also, what do you mean by "UPS?"

Uninterruptible Power Supply.  Batteries+Inverter.  If you loose PG&E power, it can run things for a bit.

I actually run my DVR+ on one, but only because I had one kicking around from a foray into NAS (do NOT buy a Seagate Black Armor) and wanted to eliminate the power supply as the source of a nuisance probable I was seen.

Chuck

·
Registered
120 Posts
has anyone noticed since the 103 upgrade, the remote no longer is nonresponsive when performing multiple tasks quickly.

At least I've not experienced it any more up to now.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2580#post_24475006

Maybe the HDMI connection.

Its not the HDMI connection because I tried a different brand HDMI cable and the issues are still present. Right now, I've even lost two stations I am picking up very well on non-connected DVR+ TV's.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2610#post_24476550

Sorry to pick on you slprp1...BUT...

The question is... Why don't you and all the unhappy users that agree with your speculative assessment and perceived ideas of what and how the DVR+ should work, how it should have been made differently and how much better the old units were, simply return the unit.

Every one is entitled to their opinions, but this forum, from page one has been full of negative speculation about how the unit should be designed and how it should work.

Perhaps it would be easier to just rename the forum to:
The Channel Master DVR+ Owners (or Not) Bashing Thread

My unit works.. It does what it is advertized to do.. 

With all due respect.....

A) The options, at an affordable price (and I'm limited as to what I can spend) simply don't exist!

B) I, personally, haven't really been "bashing" the unit (and, in all fairness, shouldn't be singled out) other than it's ability to function (as it should) with questionable and/or weak signals (as the aforementioned CM-7000 DTA converter box did admirably). What good is the ability to record, if it's going to freak out with less than perfect signal?

Therefore, your comments should perhaps be directed at the (numerous) others who have truly "bashed" this unit.

In addition, you quoted me questioning the reliability of Seagate drives. This doesn't relate to the performance of the DVR+, only the fact that perhaps CM may have exercised poor judgement in recommending them (not to mention selling them.... but this could've simply been profit driven).

The bottom line for me is that it has true potential but a "work in progress" and "not quite ready for prime time" accurately describe this unit and I will stand behind these opinions!

.... also take into consideration that it's very likely that someone from CM engineering may very well be monitoring this forum and needs to know these opinions.....especially as most of us can better describe our issues than a typical end user.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't have any experience with these DVRs, but I do have experience with mobile (school bus) systems, and I can tell you that I've had MUCH better life from Seagate drives over WD. However, they are PATA 3.5" AV units, so YMMV...

2621 - 2640 of 17993 Posts