AVS Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24518059

@MKS13   @mulliganman  

After my tests, with multiple antennas, your comments and problems, something seems to be taking shape in my mind. The multipath issues with the DVR+ might be tied in with the antenna used. The 91XG is unidirectional (very much so) and seems to be the system or type of system the the DVR+ has more problems with. The Colorstar C490 is directional, but accepts a wider berth of signals, and the DVR+ functioned much better on it.

Is anyone with multipath, signal quality issues on the DVR+ using a 91XG or similarly very directional antenna (15 degrees or less)? 

Are those whose DVR+ is functioning very well with regards to signal quality using multi-directional or directional (more than 15 degree) antennas???
I have been using an old Terk TV50 antenna which was designed well before we had OTA HDTV. It has a built-in preamp which can be turned on and off. It is a highly directional antenna. I found that during the day - the DVR+ would either work great or have pixilation issues . With the preamp on - the picture would pixilate with the stronger stations. With the pre-amp off I would loose some stations. The issues with the strong stations are definitely multipath related. Possibly some co-channel issues as well, since the amplifier was never designed to deal with the spreading effects of digital signals. But I'm thinking multipath is more likely the issue at hand.

I am about 45 miles from most of the transmitters, but I am at an extremely high elevation. There are microwave repeater towers located on either side of my home. So my signals are of good strength. I installed a Leaf Ultimate (Leaf50) indoor antenna which is omni-directional. No more multipath issues with the DVR+. I am loosing some very distant stations that are well beyond what I should be receiving, but the improvement in the 25 stations that I am receiving is 100% solid now.

I totally agree with you - the DVR+ benefits from a more omni-directional antenna in circumstances where multipath signals are causing an issue.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24518059

@MKS13

@mulliganman

After my tests, with multiple antennas, your comments and problems, something seems to be taking shape in my mind. The multipath issues with the DVR+ might be tied in with the antenna used. The 91XG is unidirectional (very much so) and seems to be the system or type of system the the DVR+ has more problems with. The Colorstar C490 is directional, but accepts a wider berth of signals, and the DVR+ functioned much better on it.

Is anyone with multipath, signal quality issues on the DVR+ using a 91XG or similarly very directional antenna (15 degrees or less)? 

Are those whose DVR+ is functioning very well with regards to signal quality using multi-directional or directional (more than 15 degree) antennas???

The 91XG is what I am using and was using with the pixelation issues with the DVR+. The Roamio has handled the same signals with no issues.

If keeping the DVR+ I knew I would have to do a couple of things. First off, I would have to bring in the Antennas Direct C2V as part of my system setup and use this single channel combiner to combine signals from the C2V with the 91XG: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf because a reverse splitter doesn't work (results in a channel drop out)

That combiner would set me back $150 + installation charges. I could utilize a preamp possibly for Fox on the 91XG if also using the C2V as a second antenna because the risk is less of overpowering the tuners (my strongest signals are non-Fox signals). But, again that is more money.

Considering the extra cost, to me it made more sense to give the Roamio a try (and less trouble). Now, if I started experiencing trouble with the Roamio and needed to make the other changes discussed that would be different.

But, I stick by my original statement. The Roamio will be the best tuners for the most users in a variety of setups.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24516031

It sounds like the DVR+ may be the winner in weak signal reception(as the CM 7000 CECB was, second to none IMO) but not as good as good for multipath(again like the CM 7000 was, for multipath I found the Zenith DTT CECB to be second to none). Not sure if making something better for weak signal inherently makes it more susceptible to multipath but it might makes sense......

Like Theducksfan2010 said, the only way to know if it will work in your situation is to try it

"It sounds like the DVR+ may be the winner in weak signal reception (as the CM 7000 CECB was)"......huh?

......after extensive tests and comparisons, I completely and wholeheartedly disagree!!......sorry!

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24520776

"It sounds like the DVR+ may be the winner in weak signal reception (as the CM 7000 CECB was)"......huh?

......after extensive tests and comparisons, I wholeheartedly disagree!!

Again, all of your tests are conducted on one and only one antenna system. If I did all of mine the same way, they would be skewed as well. By using a second complete antenna system at the same location, an amazing thing happened, completely different results, it seems that the DVR+ performs much better with multidirectional and directional antennae than with unidirectional.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24520808

Again, all of your tests are conducted on one and only one antenna system. If I did all of mine the same way, they would be skewed as well. By using a second complete antenna system at the same location, an amazing thing happened, completely different results, it seems that the DVR+ performs much better with multidirectional and directional antennae than with unidirectional.

Point well taken.....but it's still way too signal finicky for prime time!.....especially when you consider that there's still a considerable amount of potential users that are restricted to relying upon an indoor antenna for reception. They have alienated these folks (who will find out the hard way when they're forced to return their units)!

In fact, just for the heck of it (and since there were no responses to my previous question.....as to whether anyone has tried an indoor antenna with this unit).....I tried using the DVR+ with an indoor antenna today (specifically a Winegard, which is better than average and omnidirectional). I'm fairly low to the ground but there are minimal obstructions and I'm approx. 10 miles from the majority of the transmitters. The results (both amplified and not) with the DVR+ were far worse than that with my roof antenna (primarily with UHF channels but there were also some intermittent issues with VHF channels)!

However, using both the CM-7000 converter box and Zenith converter box (which have always given me the best results) and a Panasonic HDTV (using it's own tuner), the results were far superior! Although there were some issues, they were minimal. I could live with these results.....but not with the (consistent) problems that I had with the DVR+!

Had it not been for the fact that I have an outdoor antenna, I would've returned the DVR+ immediately!

One (potentially) important issue that I neglected to mention previously.....

Using my outdoor antenna, the DVR+ does much better with VHF signals (in fact, it's almost perfect) as compared with UHF signals (very unreliable). Unfortunately, the majority of my channels are UHF based, so it's no conciliation!

In addition, with other devices, I get almost perfect results without an amplifier (even though my signal is split three ways). With the DVR+, I must use the amplifier or my results are far worse!

Perhaps there are certain reception situations where the DVR+ works well but these tend to be the exception.....when they should be the rule!.....therefore it's not a worthy contender!

Sorry for belaboring this issue but I'm in an almost ideal signal location and still.....

it's far too quirky and basically unacceptable!

What's next.....installing a rotor on my roof antenna?.....installing a secondary roof antenna?.....I'm tired!....let the (smart?) folks at Channel Master figure it out (as they should've done originally)!!

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2790#post_24512558

I've tried it without a powered antenna and the video pixelated anytime the wind blew over 5 mph.  Admittedly, I am around lots of pine trees so that's why I put a 10db pre amp on it.  As I mentioned earlier, my FIVE TV's have no reception problems hooked up this way.  The antenna is not overloaded by any means.

I am 8 miles from the antennna farm and use a distribution amp for a similar setup. You are not overloading the tuners after you split the signal to 5 TVs.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2800_50#post_24518059

@MKS13   @mulliganman  

I don't have specs on my antenna - I made it out of coat hangers...

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24520971

In fact, just for the heck of it (and since there were no responses to my previous question.....as to whether anyone has tried an indoor antenna with this unit).....I tried using the DVR+ with an indoor antenna today (specifically a Winegard, which is better than average and omnidirectional). I'm fairly low to the ground but there are minimal obstructions and I'm approx. 10 miles from the majority of the transmitters. The results (both amplified and not) with the DVR+ were far worse * * *

I've been one of the positive voices on this thread. Yes, I'm using an indoor antenna, one step up (maybe) from a clothes hanger version. It's from Radio Shack (truly) and cost $10 (plus tax). And all is good.

The antenna is in my living room and sits atop a tall armoire that keeps the TV and DVR+ out of sight. We are high in the Berkeley Hills looking out at the bay and The City (SF) and the transmission towers above it (LOS). TvFool.com says we are 14.2 miles away (17.5 for a couple of stations).

Reception is undisturbed for all the stations we watch--and all I've actually tried. The DVD+ pulls in more stations than the seven-year-old Panasonic TV. In the past, we have had reception problems only in stormy conditions when winds whip up the waves.

The antenna's coaxial cable goes into a three-connector, gold-colored splitter (one in, two out) and two cables transmit the signal to the TV and to the DVR+. No amplifier (as I understand it) is used.

--DawnSun

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
If anything, I would say that commercial indoor antennas are a step down from ones built with coathangers. I built one using copper wire in place of coathangers, and it's the best antenna I've ever used. The antennas I purchased were always terrible and constantly needed adjusting. Outdoor antennas are another matter, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had my DVR+ for several weeks now and am having a terrible time with the tuner going to the wrong channel. It started a few days ago when I set it to record CH 4 ('Rake' TV show) and it wound up taping Telemundo. The recording info clearly showed 'Rake' and Ch4. Hmmm.. Ok, more recently, the channel for live TV is wrong. Specifically, I will highlight a channel and click OK, but it will not change the actual channel. When I click the up/down channel button, the channels will change up and down but all from the wrong starting channel. Even typing in '5' on the remote will not alter the live-tv channel. Any help would be appreciated. It seems that the tuner will reset to the correct TV channel only when the tuner is not recording something else. It all seems a bit random. If I tape two shows, sometimes both are correct and at other times one is correct and the other one is Telemundo. Really weird and frustrating.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I would recommend (seems to me it's memory corruption's result, when tables, code, data damaging by mem leakage, stack damage) cold reboot to see if it help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the DVR+ and have virtually no reception with an indoor mohu leaf antenna with or without a pre amp. I have moved it all over and get no VHF channels consistently. I have a Panasonic television plasma HDTV and get solid reception from the television alone. I'm only 7 miles from the towers with no significant interference.

In short, this DVR is worthless with tuners far less superior than television tuners. Very disappointed because it looks cool as crap. My options for antennas are limited however since I live in an apartment. May have to give this up.

Ps. I've tried it with the same dismal results with 2 different indoor antennas and 2 different televisions in 2 different rooms (one was a cheap Walmart brand tv which still had a better tuner)
. I really want this to work!

Would there be any way to use it through the television? Doubtful but I need it to get a signal!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had my DVR+ for a month now. Ft Lauderdale with a second story roof antenna. 100% signal on all 40 +

stations. My unit works flawlessly. 1TB Seagate drive from Best Buy. The only problem was the remote signal but once i programmed my Harmony One the unit now has excellent remote response from distance and angle. Would like to see the aforementioned upgrades and guide improvements. Got rid of DTV and saving 100.00 month and use netfilix and hulu to catch other shows and movies. I use a wired internet connection with ATT Uverse. I am happy so far just need improvements from CM and Rovi.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillan  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2800_100#post_24527850

I have had my DVR+ for a month now. Ft Lauderdale with a second story roof antenna. 100% signal on all 40 + stations. My unit works flawlessly. 1TB Seagate drive from Best Buy.
Do you know how far you are from the transmission towers?

Have you had any problems where it records a channel that is different from the one you have programmed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
14 miles to the south 200 Degrees and 30 miles to the north at 350 Degrees

I have had no recording issues at all or station mix ups. the best fix was changing to my harmony remote control

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2850_50#post_24527039

Would there be any way to use it through the television? Doubtful but I need it to get a signal!
Probably not.  There may be a few TVs that had an RF out, but they were uncommon (I THINK a TV I bought about 1983 had one, it was a big (for its day, 29" IIRC) CRT JC Penny made by RCA.).

Chuck

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2820#post_24525143

I've been one of the positive voices on this thread. Yes, I'm using an indoor antenna, one step up (maybe) from a clothes hanger version. It's from Radio Shack (truly) and cost $10 (plus tax). And all is good.

The antenna is in my living room and sits atop a tall armoire that keeps the TV and DVR+ out of sight. We are high in the Berkeley Hills looking out at the bay and The City (SF) and the transmission towers above it (LOS). TvFool.com says we are 14.2 miles away (17.5 for a couple of stations).

Reception is undisturbed for all the stations we watch--and all I've actually tried. The DVD+ pulls in more stations than the seven-year-old Panasonic TV. In the past, we have had reception problems only in stormy conditions when winds whip up the waves.

The antenna's coaxial cable goes into a three-connector, gold-colored splitter (one in, two out) and two cables transmit the signal to the TV and to the DVR+. No amplifier (as I understand it) is used.

--DawnSun

Interesting.....perhaps it's the elevation?

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2850#post_24528073

Probably not.  There may be a few TVs that had an RF out, but they were uncommon (I THINK a TV I bought about 1983 had one, it was a big (for its day, 29" IIRC) CRT JC Penny made by RCA.).

Chuck

If it had an RF out jack, it would simply be passing the same signal to the DVR+ (which, unfortunately would be worthless in this scenario).

2841 - 2860 of 17993 Posts