AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
8,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3050_50#post_24614273

Oh, I don't know about that. I would think implementation of a single audio/video path to be preferable due to simplicity instead of having to switch over back and forth between dual paths. I frankly see no advantage to having a separate path for live TV, especially when proper design could make the delay vanishingly small. But then maybe I'm just used to the way TiVo does it.
I agree. The old Sony DHG worked that way and the buffer was variable from 30 to 90 minutes. It could be saved (added to "live" TV with a few commands) to save it to disk also.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3000_100#post_24614778

It is better because if there is a problem with the hard drive or the USB cable, it might make it impossible to watch live TV with it. And it also absolutely has to have a signal path that does not go through the hard drive, or it would not work at all without a hard drive.
You are forgetting the 16GB of internal memory that will always be there. It works without a HDD attached, you just can't record much. I still see no reason to have a separate signal path. It adds complexity and I see no benefit. But as far as the DVR+ goes, I can't say what they do.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24614316

The only HDD problems I have experienced were with the recommended Seagate drives. As soon as I switched to a WD 2 TB HDD, all of the problems went away.

Which specific WD drive are you using (the closest equivalent to the Seagate drives are the "My Passport Ultra")?

I have had the same results with the WD drive as with the Seagate drives. As I specified previously, it's intermittent and requires patience and the need to pay close attention to the screen. It is sometimes very obvious and other times not as obvious.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24614972

Which specific WD drive are you using (the closest equivalent to the Seagate drives are the "My Passport Ultra")?

I have had the same results with the WD drive as with the Seagate drives. As I specified previously, it's intermittent and requires patience and the need to pay very close attention to the screen.

I will check the model when I get home tonight and let you know.

·
Banned
954 Posts
WD drives seem to generally have a better reputation and track record than Seagate drives.

However, ultimately, I'm uncomfortable using these cheaper, portable drives, as they simply aren't as durable and reliable as full size drives (especially certain brands)!

These portable drives aren't designed for this type of use and were likely recommended by CM based primarily on low cost and (possibly) as they're small, cute and don't require external power.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24614997

These portable drives aren't designed for this type of use and were likely recommended by CM based primarily on low cost and (possibly) as they're small, cute and don't require external power.

Over the last couple of years I have used many 3.5" and 2.5" external USB 2.0 drives with WMC. Often recording four shows and streaming a few concurrently and I haven't noticed any difference between them. I'd guess roughly a dozen of varying brands and sizes. Now I will say overall I don't think they are as transparent as an internal drive as when heavy recordings where going on I would on a rare occasion (once or twice a week) see parts of the image flash for an instant. Regardless of drive size... 2.5" or 3.5".

Even my ISCSI drive never has had this issue and one would think it would be more prone to such with all of the traffic flying over the network. Who knows perhaps my motherboard's USB ports aren't the greatest. For reference this is with three recordings and one playback..

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24614997

WD drives seem to generally have a better reputation and track record than Seagate drives.

However, ultimately, I'm uncomfortable using these cheaper, portable drives, as they simply aren't as durable and reliable as full size drives (especially certain brands)!

it's amusing me ... it was answered here so many times, Internet is full of recommendations...

WD AV-GP is the DVR type of drives, AudioVideo-GreenPower; what else is better ? Use any SATA-USB enclosure, buy AV-GP drive, assemble it ...

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3000_100#post_24615114

it's amusing me ... it was answered here so many times, Internet is full of recommendations...

WD AV-GP is the DVR type of drives, AudioVideo-GreenPower; what else is better ? Use any SATA-USB enclosure, buy AV-GP drive, assemble it ...
Seagate Pipeline AV drives are also very good. I have one in my DVR.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24615114

I'm curious (since I've personally had no experience with this WD AV drive).....

Using such a drive/enclosure with the DVR+, is it safe to assume that it would require it's own power supply?.....

If so, is there any issue with using a independently powered drive/enclosure with the DVR+ (as opposed to USB powered.....as CM recommends)?.....

Additionally, is it possible for these type of drives/enclosures to spin down ("sleep"/"standby" mode) if the DVR+ isn't in use for a lengthy period of time?.....Is there a way of programming the "sleep" function prior to using it with the DVR+?

One more thing.....would there be any disadvantage in simply using a (pre-fabricated) WD AV external drive (such as the one that's intended to be used with cable company DVR's)?

Sorry if this has been covered already..... but in light of these recent video "glitches", I'm concerned that it may somehow be related to these "portable" drives (although it seems unlikely.....after having the same issues with six of them!).

Thanks!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24615505

I recall, Samsung had some good AV drives before merging with WDC... and a few Hitachi ...

I was under the impression that there was a merger between Hitachi and Samsung but I could be wrong..... (who can keep up with all of these mergers/acquisitions?).
Regardless, Samsung's reputation for hard drives leaves a lot to be desired (from what I've read anyway)!

·
Banned
954 Posts
Is there anybody out there?......

Is this thread undergoing maintenance of some sort?

(since there's been no activity for some time now)

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3090#post_24619457

just no more issues ... owners of the DVR enjoying it

So it's suddenly become an overnight sensation?......

Would either yourself or others please be kind enough to comment and/or make suggestions regarding my post on the previous page (#3090 - regarding alternatives to the questionable "portable" EHD's)......it will be a helpful discussion for others as well.

Thank you!

·
Registered
780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24613657

As far as delay, that depends on design. When I match my TiVo Roamio against the TV in the kitchen playing directly from the antenna, there is a barely perceptible delay in the Roamio.

It should be noted that anytime I've used two TVs or converter boxes from different manufactures there is a sight delay between the two. I have to assume the difference is in processor speeds. Digital isn't like analog where the analog signal was simply passing through the tuner with no digital decryption going on and therefore no time delay.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3060#post_24615558

I'm curious (since I've personally had no experience with this WD AV drive).....

Using such a drive/enclosure with the DVR+, is it safe to assume that it would require it's own power supply?.....
Yes, it's highly recommended do not to power from DVR.

If so, is there any issue with using a independently powered drive/enclosure with the DVR+ (as opposed to USB powered.....as CM recommends)?.....
No issue, in opposite using DVR powered HDD

Additionally, is it possible for these type of drives/enclosures to spin down ("sleep"/"standby" mode) if the DVR+ isn't in use for a lengthy period of time?.....
I wouldn't recommend employ the feature - so far FW is not checking HDD status and will fail recording if the the drive is spin down

Is there a way of programming the "sleep" function prior to using it with the DVR+?
Yes, just connect to PC and an utility from the mfg's site

One more thing.....would there be any disadvantage in simply using a (pre-fabricated) WD AV external drive (such as the one that's intended to be used with cable company DVR's)?
I would say it's an advantage, but not seen AV-GP drive in ready-to-go enclosures

Sorry if this has been covered already..... but in light of these recent video "glitches", I'm concerned that it may somehow be related to these "portable" drives (although it seems unlikely.....after having the same issues with six of them!).

Thanks!
See answers in BOLD above

·
Banned
154 Posts
I would like to know if anyone is successfully using the DVR+ utilizing a two antenna setup because you have towers in separate directions. If so, please share your setup including antennas being used.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3090#post_24620801

I would like to know if anyone is successfully using the DVR+ utilizing a two antenna setup because you have towers in separate directions. If so, please share your setup including antennas being used.
there is nothing new, IMO

just use proper combiner device, you can find/build it in Internet or by reading proper AVSforum antenna's forum

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3090#post_24620879

there is nothing new, IMO

just use proper combiner device, you can find/build it in Internet or by reading proper AVSforum antenna's forum

I am combining an Antennas Direct 91XG and Antennas Direct C2V with this device: http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/AC7-customer%20general%20hookup%20Info.pdf

My TV fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D5b940f11af42d0

I'm asking because I just got the AC7 combiner installed but am experiencing quite a bit of "signal quality" fluctuation on my local ABC stations (KSPR and CW) and as a result some picture and sound issues. I had held onto my unit thinking the combiner would solve the problem but I am still seeing it. Sometimes the signal quality will stay at 100% for a while before the fluctuations start up again.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I would try to eliminate multipath issue (if your signal of the channel normally stay at 80-100 for SS and SQ) by slow rotating particular antenna left/right during these periods of signal's fluctuations

3081 - 3100 of 17993 Posts