AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24628742


Seems pointless!.....

If the unit can't function properly with a (recommended, no less) external drive.....

Then it's "back to the drawing board"!!
calm down ... it's a test proposed .. to see if your drives+enclosures are not in par with the DVR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24628742


Seems pointless!.....

If the unit can't function properly with a (recommended, no less) external drive.....

Then it's "back to the drawing board"!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24628761


calm down ... it's a test proposed .. to see if your drives+enclosures are not in par with the DVR

I second the suggestion. Divide and conquer to trace the root of the problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24628792



I second the suggestion. Divide and conquer to trace the root of the problem.

I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......

It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24628792



I second the suggestion. Divide and conquer to trace the root of the problem.

Besides.....shouldn't CM be tracing the root of the problem (since I'm one of many experiencing these glitches)?......

Is it even a consideration at this point?.....or will we be left to suffer.....beyond 106R?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
I was reunited with my DVR+ this Easter Sunday as I visited my in-laws for the first time since gifting the DVR to them. I was pleased to see both individual and series recordings on the DVR. There happened to be another cable cutter in the room. He was blown away by the guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

Does the TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners support OTA? I was of the belief that it did not support OTA which is the whole purpose of developing the CM DVR+..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfitztx  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24628933


Does the TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners support OTA? I was of the belief that it did not support OTA which is the whole purpose of developing the CM DVR+..
Here is a lovely thread all about the Roamio . This thread, on the other hand, is about the DVR+. Don't worry - it's a common mistake around here, not limited to newbies.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kwg

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24628818


I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......

It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24628830


Besides.....shouldn't CM be tracing the root of the problem (since I'm one of many experiencing these glitches)?......

Is it even a consideration at this point?.....or will we be left to suffer.....beyond 106R?
Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
 
  • Like
Reactions: wizwor

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfitztx  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24628933


Does the TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners support OTA? I was of the belief that it did not support OTA which is the whole purpose of developing the CM DVR+..
There are a number of DVR options that support OTA . They range from very cheap and limited functionality (iView / Homeworx) to more expensive and full-featured (TiVo). The DVR+ was designed to be a mid-range DVR in both price and feature set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24629081



Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
exACTLY!

why not try 'driverles's config ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3120#post_24628818



I'm not opposed to being a pseudo "beta tester" (since, even with all of my complaints.....I still think that these units have some potential)..... but let me remind you that these glitches have occurred on two units with a total of six hard drives (four of them the recommended Seagates)......

It reaches a point of utter frustration with this unit.....and sheer exhaustion!!
 

I still think you should try a full sized externally powered (NOT USB powered) HDD. Of all the issues I have with my DVR+, stuttering, audio/video problems have Never been one. I would lean more on the DVR+ not being the source of the problem, but the USB powered portable drive.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3090#post_24623466


Channel Master recommends only the USB powered Seagate. 
 

I'm not sure where you get this, below is the link to the CM recommend drive...

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/?sku=STBV3000100

 

What's in the box
  • Expansion external hard drive
  • USB 3.0 cable or USB 2.0 cable
  • Power adapter
  • Quick start guide
  • 1-year limited warranty
As you can see, it is NOT USB powered, as it comes with and requires it's own power adapter.

 

Do you have one (not USB powered) you can try, to see if it is the problem?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kelson and osu1991

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
HAVE I BEEN STABBED IN THE BACK!? How did 103R get installed on my DVR+?


I don't mean to shout (perhaps I do), but I suddenly started missing the first five or six minutes of recorded programs. Searching in frustration in my settings, I discovered that the software version is now mysteriously 103R.


Also, in the "Date and Time" setting the time is now six minutes slow. (I can't figure out how to correct the time manually. It's set for "Auto.")


As those of you regularly reading this forum might remember, I have been defending the DVR+ because it was working almost perfectly for me.


Also, I've written that I was holding off installing 103R, because I didn't want to risk spoiling a good thing.

(a) Did I inadvertently install 103R in my frustration to get rid of those frequent large reminders that a newer version of the software was available? (I've been hitting cancel as fast as I can.)

(b) Did Channel Master take it upon themselves to "upgrade" the software for me? (If so, I may be joining those cursing CM.)

(c) Can I go back to 101R? (I'm quite sure this has been answered: NO.)


Help rescue a defender of the DVR+ (perhaps an endangered species).


--DawnSun
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629243

HAVE I BEEN STABBED IN THE BACK!? How did 103R get installed on my DVR+?


I don't mean to shout (perhaps I do), but I suddenly started missing the first five or six minutes of recorded programs. Searching in frustration in my settings, I discovered that the software version is now mysteriously 103R.


Also, in the "Date and Time" setting the time is now six minutes slow. (I can't figure out how to correct the time manually. It's set for "Auto.")


As those of you regularly reading this forum might remember, I have been defending the DVR+ because it was working almost perfectly for me.


Also, I've written that I was holding off installing 103R, because I didn't want to risk spoiling a good thing.

(a) Did I inadvertently install 103R in my frustration to get rid of those frequent large reminders that a newer version of the software was available? (I've been hitting cancel as fast as I can.)

(b) Did Channel Master take it upon themselves to "upgrade" the software for me? (If so, I may be joining those cursing CM.)

(c) Can I go back to 101R? (I'm quite sure this has been answered: NO.)


Help rescue a defender of the DVR+ (perhaps an endangered species).


--DawnSun

This exact thing happened to me several weeks ago....

I was holding on to 101 for dear life, as I wasn't ready to trust 103 (especially as CM was being so mysterious about it)!

The warning came up one night and it immediately downloaded the software.....without my confirmation!!

In fact (as someone else stated here)....it's quite possible that the video glitches that I (and others) have been experiencing may have actually started as a result of 103!!.....since I don't recall ever seeing them prior to the forced......"upgrade"?......no evidence whatsoever of it actually being an "upgrade"!!

.....BTW, is CM still being suspiciously mysterious about version 103?......Hmmm?

.....it's too bad that our connections didn't fail (when we really needed them to)!


Insofar as the time issue is concerned.....(in my case at least).....On "auto" it's been accurate.

Initially, I set it up on "manual" and it was off consistently.....I have no clue as to why!

.....wish I could be of more help with this issue.....anyone have advice regarding the time glitches?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629125


exACTLY!

why not try 'driverles's config ?

P Smith:

With all due respect.....please pay closer attention to your typing (as it's often difficult to understand what your trying to say!.....Thanks!


As to your question.....I always need to record for longer than two hours daily, so I never even considered this an option.

In addition, the glitches can be intermittent, so recording for two hours internally may not disclose anything.

.......I'll give it a try when I can work it out where I can record for a short period of time.......then check the entire two hours (as it tends to be intermittent).......then re-attach the EHD and resume normal recording......

It's not as simple and easy as it sounds to be a pseudo "beta-tester".....especially with a busy schedule!

.....perhaps others here can attempt this as well (and possibly sooner than I can)......there's no harm in multiple experiments!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629128


I still think you should try a full sized externally powered (NOT USB powered) HDD. Of all the issues I have with my DVR+, stuttering, audio/video problems have Never been one. I would lean more on the DVR+ not being the source of the problem, but the USB powered portable drive.



I'm not sure where you get this, below is the link to the CM recommend drive...
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/?sku=STBV3000100


What's in the box



[*] Expansion external hard drive

[*] USB 3.0 cable or USB 2.0 cable

[*] Power adapter

[*] Quick start guide

[*] 1-year limited warranty


As you can see, it is NOT USB powered, as it comes with and requires it's own power adapter.


Do you have one (not USB powered) you can try, to see if it is the problem?

They originally (and last time I checked) were recommending only the Seagate portable expansion drives (all USB powered).

The drive that you mention above appears to be a recent addition......interesting!.....

this could simply reflect an availability problem.....however.....they still recommend (and/or sell) the Seagate 1 TB expansion drive (USB powered).....it's a bit confusing as to why they now recommend both types of drives (USB powered and externally powered).

......any thoughts from anyone on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629295



They originally (and last time I checked) were recommending only the Seagate portable expansion drives (all USB powered).

The drive that you mention above appears to be a recent addition......interesting!.....

this could simply reflect an availability problem.....however.....they still recommend (and/or sell) the Seagate 1 TB expansion drive (USB powered).....it's a bit confusing as to why they now recommend both types of drives (USB powered and externally powered).

......any thoughts from anyone on this?
I pulled the link off their site tonight  http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?gclid=CJDQ5an-8L0CFZWSfgodf3QA-A .

 

Maybe they are noticing that powered HDD's have less problems???
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629302


I pulled the link off their site tonight  http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?gclid=CJDQ5an-8L0CFZWSfgodf3QA-A .


Maybe they are noticing that powered HDD's have less problems???

Not sure about that.....as I stated, it could simply be an availability.....or profit issue.

Consider the fact that theyre still recommending/selling the USB powered drive as well!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts
Curious.....

Has anyone tested an HDMI to either S-Video or RCA video/audio converter box with the DVR+?

I'm wondering if this would be an alternative for copying shows to a standalone DVD recorder.....

as opposed to going through the process of migrating files on a PC.

I realize that it's SD video but it may be a useful option to consider!

Any thoughts?......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
If it's difficult to avoid a buggy software update, why not disconnect the DVR's Internet access until a better firmware is available? Surely a limited PSIP guide is better than an Internet guide combined with a firmware that makes recording and watching your programs unreliable. It won't help anyone who's already been suckered into updating, but it might help the few who still have 101R and want to keep it.
 
3141 - 3160 of 17991 Posts
Top