AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 18103 Posts

·
Registered
13,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3100_100#post_24632760

kidding ? same as upgrade - it was described at CM site ... use USB stick
I think what is really being asked of you is where does one get the 101R image. It is not on the CM web site, only 103R.

You said you have done it. Where did you get the 101R image.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24632760

kidding ? same as upgrade - it was described at CM site ... use USB stick

Not kidding!

Here is what is specifically asked:

"Please describe (in detail) how exactly one would revert back to 101R.

Please be very specific. Thank you!"

......I was asking just how it would be possible to "downgrade" (ha, ha!) to 101R.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633008

I think what is really being asked of you is where does one get the 101R image. It is not on the CM web site, only 103R.

Ditto!......or "AMEN to that!!!!" (courtesy of "mulliganman")

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24632724

Have you tried a wall powered HDD yet? Are you going to any time soon. I think a lot of us would like to know if the issue still persists after you have.

Yes, you have seen it on 6 HDD's but they have all been USB powered. The problem might just lay in that alone, not the DVR+.
Attn: "Theducksfan2010" -

Have you seen this?......same exact issues with a self-powered (non-USB powered) EHD!!.....it's been posted many times (and very recently)!

The question remains.....just how seriously is CM taking this?

Check it out!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633108

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlfegolebn90bgc/101R_prod_signed_usb_download.str

Thanks!.....

If this file is copied to a flash drive, does it simply function by connecting the flash drive to a USB port on the DVR+?

.....has it been tested as such?.....are there any risks?

...... (sorry if I'm overly concerned about this..... but I feel as if I'm walking on thin ice with this unit!)

Also, is there any way to stop the annoying nag messages (should one wish to keep 101R.....for now at least)?

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633111

Attn: "Theducksfan2010" -

Have you seen this?......same exact issues with a self-powered (non-USB powered) EHD!!.....it's been posted many times (and very recently)!

The question remains.....just how seriously is CM taking this?

Check it out!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

Most of the posts concerning this problem have been by you, I have seen two other users with the same problem in here (yes, I read every post). One user has this problem and a powered HDD. So while it may be problematic for you and a small handful of people, the problem needs to be troubleshot.

Again, have YOU tried a non-USB powered drive on your machine yet? Before you can lay the blame on the DVR+, you have to find out if the type of drive makes any difference on YOUR device.

Both myself and @mulliganman Have had crappy, unusable performance from our DVR+ and have been able to resolve the problem, without changing the DVR+ itself. If you weren't on the other side of the country, I'd bring one of my drives over for you to try.

Reactions: mulliganman

·
Registered
5,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633154

Also, is there any way to stop the annoying nag messages (should one wish to keep 101R.....for now at least)?

Disconnect the wireless adapter and/or Ethernet cable from your DVR+ before you revert the firmware to 101R and then leave it disconnected. It can't pester you about an update if it doesn't know the update exists, and it won't know about updates if it has no Internet access.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633008

from CM site, it was there initially ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
HDD problems here too. I have experienced these glitches when playing my recorded videos. I have a USB3.0 SATA enclosure case with it's own power supply. Inside this case is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive which was in my last computer build. The HDD was reformatted by the DVR+ but after 20 days of recording, I experienced several "disk initialization" errors. In one case I did another HDD format since the DVR+ could not read my library of recorded files.

I installed the Windows Ext2Fsd (Ext2 File System Driver for Windows ) utility so I could check the Linux Partitions and files. Both partitions appeared fine and my recorded shows were all there in partition 2. I also did the "FFMPEG" video conversion and got my video file(s) to run in both VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player.

I attempted to get the DVR+ to initialize my USB disk several times using the (1) power on/off trick, (2) CHKDSK function and (3) disconnecting the USB disk, powering on DVR+ then power down then reconnecting USB Disk. There was no sure hit or miss routine I used to get the USB Drive to initialize but I did get it working a few times. In all cases, going to the settings menu, I checked the technical selection to verify that the disk parameters were recognized and logged correctly on the boot-up. In those cases where it recognized the disk after a clean boot-up, the DVR function would not work and I would get the not able to initialize disk error.

I ordered the recommended Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive w/ separate enclosure and power ( STBV3000100 ). I noticed that this is 5400RPM. I wonder if my SATA 7200RPM USB 3.0 drive had compatibility issues (even though it is USB2.0 backward compatible).

Now that I have a way to save my Video library doing a reformat is not so painful. FWIW, when I did do the reformat DVR+ command, in ALL cases my DVR recording option worked fine. But after about 10% of the disk was filled and/or about 20 days of 24/7 usage, I experienced the disk initialization issues described above. The new 3TB Seagate drive should arrive in a few days, so I hope I should resolve this particular issue.

EKS

·
Registered
13,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24633203

from CM site, it was there initially ...
It is not there now -- at least not that I can find.

wiscojim has apparently saved a copy of 101R and made it available for download.

His post .

Hopefully enough people will download it and keep it as a retainer along with 103R.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3180#post_24633983

HDD problems here too. I have experienced these glitches when playing my recorded videos. I have a USB3.0 SATA enclosure case with it's own power supply. Inside this case is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive which was in my last computer build. The HDD was reformatted by the DVR+ but after 20 days of recording, I experienced several "disk initialization" errors. In one case I did another HDD format since the DVR+ could not read my library of recorded files.

I installed the Windows Ext2Fsd (Ext2 File System Driver for Windows ) utility so I could check the Linux Partitions and files. Both partitions appeared fine and my recorded shows were all there in partition 2. I also did the "FFMPEG" video conversion and got my video file(s) to run in both VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player.

I attempted to get the DVR+ to initialize my USB disk several times using the (1) power on/off trick, (2) CHKDSK function and (3) disconnecting the USB disk, powering on DVR+ then power down then reconnecting USB Disk. There was no sure hit or miss routine I used to get the USB Drive to initialize but I did get it working a few times. In all cases, going to the settings menu, I checked the technical selection to verify that the disk parameters were recognized and logged correctly on the boot-up. In those cases where it recognized the disk after a clean boot-up, the DVR function would not work and I would get the not able to initialize disk error.

I ordered the recommended Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive w/ separate enclosure and power ( STBV3000100 ). I noticed that this is 5400RPM. I wonder if my SATA 7200RPM USB 3.0 drive had compatibility issues (even though it is USB2.0 backward compatible).

Now that I have a way to save my Video library doing a reformat is not so painful. FWIW, when I did do the reformat DVR+ command, in ALL cases my DVR recording option worked fine. But after about 10% of the disk was filled and/or about 20 days of 24/7 usage, I experienced the disk initialization issues described above. The new 3TB Seagate drive should arrive in a few days, so I hope I should resolve this particular issue.

EKS

I wonder if the issue is the 7200rpm hard drive, since mine is a 7200rpm too? Maybe 7200rpm is too fast for the DVR+ is buffer?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24634225

I wonder if the issue is the 7200rpm hard drive, since mine is a 7200rpm too? Maybe 7200rpm is too fast for the DVR+ is buffer?
nope, it cannot be that way, opposite is yes

and @reacheks:

you guys should start checking a health of the drives first - connect it to PC (better directly to SATA port) and obtain SMART info by using bootable MHDD (burn CD from ISO file) or Victoria under Windows

get the SMART, run Scan wit Remap=on, get second SMART, post here - we will talk about the drive with some facts

·
Registered
13,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24634225

Maybe not the speed but the need for continuous throughput of multiple AV streams. I have a media server disk farm of the same Seagate Barracuda drives but larger (ST3000DM001) and they are very fast in burst mode.

My DVR's all came with AV rated drives which are 5900 rpm drives that are made to run 24x7 with big buffers and the ability to handle multiple HD streams going in and out of the drive. If it were me with a DVR+, to add an external drive I would buy a Seagate Pipeline AV drive (what came in my TiVo Roamio) and put it in a self-powered USB enclosure for the DVR+. Others may prefer the WD AV drives which would be just as good.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24634048

wiscojim has apparently saved a copy of 101R and made it available for download.

Hopefully enough people will download it and keep it as a retainer along with 103R.

And here is 102R for anyone that wants it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9vf6em3gov2j5t/102R_prod_signed_usb_download.str

I suggest anyone that may ever anticipate needing it in the future should downlaod and save these now, I have no idea if CM will want me to remove it at some point.

For now, it should probably be available. You guys are doing some of the troubleshooting for them.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24634486

Maybe not the speed but the need for continuous throughput of multiple AV streams. I have a media server disk farm of the same Seagate Barracuda drives but larger (ST3000DM001) and they are very fast in burst mode.

My DVR's all came with AV rated drives which are 5900 rpm drives that are made to run 24x7 with big buffers and the ability to handle multiple HD streams going in and out of the drive. If it were me with a DVR+, to add an external drive I would buy a Seagate Pipeline AV drive (what came in my TiVo Roamio) and put it in a self-powered USB enclosure for the DVR+. Others may prefer the WD AV drives which would be just as good.

Have you tried (or is it possible) to connect the DVR+ to some type of "virtual" disk which is part of a NAS system? My long term plan is to run a PLEX media server connected to a NAS system (using DD-WRT) located at two different remote locations (main home & vacation home). I was going to copy the DVR+ video library periodically to the NAS system and/or to the main media server disk(s) then create new meta data (using PLEX) to update my master Plex media files.

I have not tested the DD-WRT NAS options but have flashed all my Asus RT-N66U routers located at my remote locations w/ the latest build ( DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) big). I know I can mount EXT3 disk formats and thought I could trick the DVR+ to write out the "*.ts files" to a virtual disk and/or even clone the standard Linux DVR+ disk format structure (ie. partition 1 and 2 detail formats) . Once in the NAS system, I can easily create the MPEG-2 TS Video (.ts) format using the ffmpeg converter.

I probably want to have one or more of those AV rated disks in my NAS build but for now, I am just experimenting with the different pieces so I can eventually build a seamless media server that can automatically create and update my media library.

EKS

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24634242

nope, it cannot be that way, opposite is yes

and @reacheks:

you guys should start checking a health of the drives first - connect it to PC (better directly to SATA port) and obtain SMART info by using bootable MHDD (burn CD from ISO file) or Victoria under Windows

get the SMART, run Scan wit Remap=on, get second SMART, post here - we will talk about the drive with some facts

Here is SMART info:

*** DiskCheckup V3.2 Build: 1000 Report ***

SysInfo DLL Version: SysInfo v1.0 Build: 1041

Time of export: 10:41:17 22-Apr-2014

Device information:

Device ID: 1

Interface: USB

Device Capacity: 476937 MB

Serial Number: 5QG27BL5

Model Number: ST3500630AS

Firmware Revision: 3.AFM

Partitions:

N/A

ATA information:

Disk geometry:

Cylinders: 60801

Tracks/Cylinder: 255

Sectors/Track: 63

Bytes/Sector: 512

Total disk sectors: 976773168

Logical sector size: 512

Physical sector size: 512

Media rotation rate: N/A

Buffer size: 16384 KB

ECC size: 4 Bytes

Standards compliance:

ATA8-ACS Supported: No

ATA/ATAPI-7 Supported: Yes

ATA/ATAPI-6 Supported: Yes

ATA/ATAPI-5 Supported: Yes

ATA/ATAPI-4 Supported: Yes

World Wide ID: 0000000000000000

Feature support:

SMART supported: Yes

SMART enabled: Yes

SMART self-test supported: Yes

SMART error log supported: Yes

LBA supported: Yes

IORDY supported: Yes

CFast supported: No

DMA supported: Yes

Maximum Multiword DMA mode supported: 2

Multiword DMA selected: None

Maximum UltraDMA mode supported: 6

UltraDMA selected: 5

Maximum PIO mode supported: 4

SATA Compliance: Yes

NCQ priority information supported: No

Unload while NCQ commands are outstanding supported: No

Phy Event Counters supported: Yes

Receipt of power management requests supported: No

NCQ feature set supported: Yes

SATA Gen2 Signaling Speed (3.0Gb/s) supported: Yes

SATA Gen1 Signaling Speed (1.5Gb/s) supported: Yes

Software Settings Preservation: Not supported

In-order data delivery: Not supported

Initiating power management: Supported, Disabled

DMA Setup auto-activation: Not supported

Non-zero buffer offsets: Not supported

Trusted Computing supported: No

Host Protected Area (HPA) supported: Yes

Read look-ahead supported: Yes

Read look-ahead enabled: Yes

Write cache supported: Yes

Write cache enabled: Yes

Power management supported: Yes

Security mode supported: Yes

Security mode enabled: No

Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) supported: Yes

48bit Addressing supported: Yes

Auto Acoustic Managment (AAM) supported: No

Power-up in Standby (PUIS) supported: Yes

Power-up in Standby (PUIS) enabled: Yes

Advanced Power Management (APM) supported: No

CompactFlash Association (CFA) supported: No

General Purpose Logging (GPL) supported: Yes

Streaming supported: No

Media card pass through supported: No

Extended power conditions supported: No

Extended status reporting supported: No

Write-read-verify supported: No

Free-fall control supported: No

TRIM command supported: No

SCT command transport supported: No

NV Cache enabled: No

NV Cache Power Management supported: No

SMART ATTRIBUTES:

ID Description Status Value Worst Threshold Raw Value TEC

1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 253 6 0 N.A.

3 Spin Up Time OK 93 91 0 0 N.A.

4 Start/Stop Count OK 100 100 20 888 N.A.

5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 100 100 36 0 N.A.

7 Seek Error Rate OK 72 60 30 15896837 N.A.

9 Power On Time OK 99 99 0 1454 N.A.

10 Spin Retry Count OK 100 100 97 0 N.A.

12 Power Cycle Count OK 100 100 20 226 N.A.

187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors OK 100 100 0 0 N.A.

189 High Fly Writes OK 100 100 0 0 N.A.

190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 59 33 45 690487337 N.A.

194 Temperature OK 41 67 0 41 C N.A.

195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 71 57 0 223836897 N.A.

197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 100 100 0 0 N.A.

198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 100 100 0 0 N.A.

199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0 0 N.A.

200 Write Error Count OK 100 253 0 0 N.A.

202 Data Address Mark Errors OK 100 253 0 0 N.A.

SMART HISTORY:

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

Error retrieving history

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24634757

I would recommend using the tool : http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki

as to your drive's health ... it's looks good, perhaps HW ECC errors could be reduced if use direct SATA cable

major minus in your report, you didn't check the drive, need run Scan with Remap=ON and pull other SMART report

Your link does not work for me.

3201 - 3220 of 18103 Posts