AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 18104 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
To slprp1 and all those dealing with pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs. I am posting this for a friend that purchased the new DVR+ and experienced all the same issues.

He worked with CM tech support, changed hard drives, replaced HDMI cables and exchanged the unit all to no avail. What resolved it for him was changing the antenna. He had initially ruled out any chance of the issue being signal quality as he could display the picture on his sony TV and not see any issue. That rules out signal correct? WRONG. The sony tv tuner just happens to be a better tuner and dealt with multipath and overdriven input stages better than the DVR+


My advice to all experiencing pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs, is to reduce input signal levels if you are pegged at 100 as he was, and minimize multipath best you can. I have included his letter to CM below in hopes it helps resolve issues for others.




Here are the issues with the DVR+ and what I have found. The symptom was

an intermittent pixelated image that looked like what you would expect to

see with low signal strength. I live on a hill just 7 miles from our

transmitters and have great signal strength. For the last 5 years I have

been recording live TV with and omnidirectional Radio Shack antenna mounted

on my roof and a home-built PC utilizing a Happauge TV tuner card and a

Nvidia HDMI out video card. Worked great until the motherboard failed. My

TV reception off of the same antenna is just fine.....no pixielazation or

dropped audio. I was sure the DVR+ was at fault so I bought a Happauge USB

Tuner and set it up with my laptop PC........same problem. After several

days of troubleshooting I have come to the following conclusions:


1. I live on the edge of a high voltage power line easement and have a

large steel tower directly behind my house. I believe the pixelizations is

being caused by a secondary, slightly delayed signal arriving at the

antenna, probably reflected by the large steel tower.


2. Tuner design is not what it used to be. The tuner in my Sony Bravia (10

years old) is able to discriminate the reflected signal and block it. More

modern tuner designs are not and the conflicting out of phase signals

result in pixelization.


3. I had an old antenna system and it needed replacing. I bought a

directional yagi antenna and mounted on the opposite side of my house, west

of the steel tower in line with the transmitter location. I replaced all

wiring with triple shielded coax and my splitter as well.


At this time, the problem seems to be resolved. For over a week now , no pixelizations issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24637537


So why is he insisting that it was after he "upgraded" to 103R?

Please don't start making more stuff up. Show me where you find "he is insisting that" . 103R was not yet available even through CM support when that video was put up on youtube.


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24637522


I spend most of the time having to respond to inappropriate criticisms (such as this one)!



...explain what you're referring to as "much more serious troubles"

It is a very appropriate criticism. The vast majority of your posts offer nothing new, you just keep on whining about the same problem. Give CM a chance to work it out. Be patient.


And you want to know about "much more serious troubles"? The ones I had have already been reported here. It included the massive glitches that you saw in the video, as well as a host of other problems. I was smart enough to get my money back and will wait until the DVR+ is ready to go and repurchase one then. I didn't keep it and whine about the same issue dozens of times each week.


If you have something truly new and valuable to add to this thread, please do. Your redundant posts are of no value. You sound like a 4-year old begging his mommy for candy at the grocery store checkout.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24637890


To slprp1 and all those dealing with pixelization, video freezing, glitches

You're talking about normal antenna/signal/reception issues. Totally different. Those reception issues as seen live would record and play back identically each time.


That does not explain the video/audio glitches as were shown in the video and are currently being discussed. Once the broadcast stream is recorded, it should playback the same each time. It doesn't.


The video/audio freeze/skip/stutter issue we're talking about here is when it plays back differently.


.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24637952


It is a very appropriate criticism. The vast majority of your posts offer nothing new, you just keep on whining about the same problem. Give CM a chance to work it out. Be patient.


And you want to know about "much more serious troubles"? The ones I had have already been reported here. It included the massive glitches that you saw in the video, as well as a host of other problems. I was smart enough to get my money back and will wait until the DVR+ is ready to go and repurchase one then. I didn't keep it and whine about the same issue dozens of times each week.


If you have something truly new and valuable to add to this thread, please do. Your redundant posts are of no value. You sound like a 4-year old begging his mommy for candy at the grocery store checkout.

.

Firstly, there have been no indications that they're "working it out" (insofar as these video/audio glitches are concerned). In addition, 103R basically did nothing (grounds for concern and skepticism regarding future "upgrades"......although I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this)!

If I were so convinced that this unit had hit a dead end, I would've returned it already. The fact that I kept it (unlike yourself) proves that I'm at least trying to be open-minded......

unlike yourself!

A "host of other problems" or "much worse problems" doesn't provide a clue as to what specific problems you had and how much worse they were than these glitches.....which in my estimation is the absolute worst problem ever encountered with the DVR+ (and why I've been putting so much emphasis on it)!!

Funny.....you tell me to be patient and yet you returned your unit!.....If you're so convinced that they'll "work it out", why did you return your unit?......

Contradictions abound!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24630263


In my case I am using an external POWERED 3.5 7200rpm Seagate hard drive and as I stated before after upgrading to 103r I now have the glitches that slprp1 is talking about and as seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24637908


Please don't start making more stuff up. Show me where you find "he is insisting that" . 103R was not yet available even through CM support when that video was put up on youtube.


.

Firstly.....you're completely out of line.....as I never make stuff up!!

Secondly.....I was referencing the statement made above.

So stop making false accusations!!.....

You're losing credibility!.....so maybe it's time for you to "sit on your hands"!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24637890


To slprp1 and all those dealing with pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs. I am posting this for a friend that purchased the new DVR+ and experienced all the same issues.

He worked with CM tech support, changed hard drives, replaced HDMI cables and exchanged the unit all to no avail. What resolved it for him was changing the antenna. He had initially ruled out any chance of the issue being signal quality as he could display the picture on his sony TV and not see any issue. That rules out signal correct? WRONG. The sony tv tuner just happens to be a better tuner and dealt with multipath and overdriven input stages better than the DVR+


My advice to all experiencing pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs, is to reduce input signal levels if you are pegged at 100 as he was, and minimize multipath best you can. I have included his letter to CM below in hopes it helps resolve issues for others.




Here are the issues with the DVR+ and what I have found. The symptom was

an intermittent pixelated image that looked like what you would expect to

see with low signal strength. I live on a hill just 7 miles from our

transmitters and have great signal strength. For the last 5 years I have

been recording live TV with and omnidirectional Radio Shack antenna mounted

on my roof and a home-built PC utilizing a Happauge TV tuner card and a

Nvidia HDMI out video card. Worked great until the motherboard failed. My

TV reception off of the same antenna is just fine.....no pixielazation or

dropped audio. I was sure the DVR+ was at fault so I bought a Happauge USB

Tuner and set it up with my laptop PC........same problem. After several

days of troubleshooting I have come to the following conclusions:


1. I live on the edge of a high voltage power line easement and have a

large steel tower directly behind my house. I believe the pixelizations is

being caused by a secondary, slightly delayed signal arriving at the

antenna, probably reflected by the large steel tower.


2. Tuner design is not what it used to be. The tuner in my Sony Bravia (10

years old) is able to discriminate the reflected signal and block it. More

modern tuner designs are not and the conflicting out of phase signals

result in pixelization.


3. I had an old antenna system and it needed replacing. I bought a

directional yagi antenna and mounted on the opposite side of my house, west

of the steel tower in line with the transmitter location. I replaced all

wiring with triple shielded coax and my splitter as well.


At this time, the problem seems to be resolved. For over a week now , no pixelizations issues

Thank you for investing all of this time!

However.....there's the (confusing) issue regarding the intermittent nature of this problem. Specifically where these glitches will show up and then mysteriously disappear when the same exact scenes are played back again!!

I'm not discrediting the potential for this to be a reception related issue but I can't for the life of me understand why it can be so intermittent!!.....

Could there possibly be something in the buffering that's intermittently effective (when it should actually be working consistently)?.....

This is bizarre!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Not having the slightest idea how the unit is architected, could the burden the tuner puts on the system as it acquires and than switches to a different signal have any impact on the system in other areas? It seems at least plausible that if the tuner takes most or all of the CPU resources to switch ATSC streams, or discriminate between two, that other tasks running could suffer, like transfer over USB, recording, or playback.


Only the firmware engineer at CM with the proper tools to analyze processor utilization could answer that question.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638250


Only the firmware engineer at CM with the proper tools to analyze processor utilization could answer that question.

......we can only hope that this matter is being given some priority at CM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3200_100#post_24638142



Firstly.....you're completely out of line.....as I never make stuff up!!

Secondly.....I was referencing the statement made above.

So stop making false accusations!!.....

You're losing credibility!.....so maybe it's time for you to "sit on your hands"!

You asked if anyone had proof that the problem existed before the installation of firmware version 103R.


I responded and gave you a link to a video that gave that proof.


The video was uploaded January 20th, when only 101R was available.


You then responded back to me claiming in reference to the video that "he" insisted that he had already uploaded 103R.


Couldn't have. Didn't. 103R didn't exist at the time the video was uploaded.


I asked you to show me where "he" insisted that 103R was already uploaded into the DVR+ when the video was made.


Instead you make reference to another post from someone else that also linked to the video months later to use as an example of the same problems he was experiencing. What kind of credibility is that from you?


The problem existed already in 101R on January 20th when that video was made to show CM support the problem. CM knew of this problem on January 20th. 103R came out much later.


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638250


Not having the slightest idea how the unit is architected, could the burden the tuner puts on the system as it acquires and than switches to a different signal have any impact on the system in other areas? It seems at least plausible that if the tuner takes most or all of the CPU resources to switch ATSC streams, or discriminate between two, that other tasks running could suffer, like transfer over USB, recording, or playback.


Only the firmware engineer at CM with the proper tools to analyze processor utilization could answer that question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638284


......we can only hope that this matter is being given some priority at CM!
CM doesn't have schematics, blueprints nor FW source, they could do only very small thing - try to reproduce your issue but you could imagine 99% issues reported here couldn't be repeat by CM engineer - you have different DVR and different antenna and different location.


Worst is CM is just middle man between echostar and you, and it is much worst situation - developers of the device are in Eldon, UK e* branch. So, there are a lot of emails floating between all participants ... and a lot of time to do any small change and test it ...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24637890


To slprp1 and all those dealing with pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs. I am posting this for a friend that purchased the new DVR+ and experienced all the same issues.

He worked with CM tech support, changed hard drives, replaced HDMI cables and exchanged the unit all to no avail. What resolved it for him was changing the antenna. He had initially ruled out any chance of the issue being signal quality as he could display the picture on his sony TV and not see any issue. That rules out signal correct? WRONG. The sony tv tuner just happens to be a better tuner and dealt with multipath and overdriven input stages better than the DVR+


My advice to all experiencing pixelization, video freezing, glitches in audio and or video and audio drop outs, is to reduce input signal levels if you are pegged at 100 as he was, and minimize multipath best you can. I have included his letter to CM below in hopes it helps resolve issues for others.




Here are the issues with the DVR+ and what I have found. The symptom was

an intermittent pixelated image that looked like what you would expect to

see with low signal strength. I live on a hill just 7 miles from our

transmitters and have great signal strength. For the last 5 years I have

been recording live TV with and omnidirectional Radio Shack antenna mounted

on my roof and a home-built PC utilizing a Happauge TV tuner card and a

Nvidia HDMI out video card. Worked great until the motherboard failed. My

TV reception off of the same antenna is just fine.....no pixielazation or

dropped audio. I was sure the DVR+ was at fault so I bought a Happauge USB

Tuner and set it up with my laptop PC........same problem. After several

days of troubleshooting I have come to the following conclusions:


1. I live on the edge of a high voltage power line easement and have a

large steel tower directly behind my house. I believe the pixelizations is

being caused by a secondary, slightly delayed signal arriving at the

antenna, probably reflected by the large steel tower.


2. Tuner design is not what it used to be. The tuner in my Sony Bravia (10

years old) is able to discriminate the reflected signal and block it. More

modern tuner designs are not and the conflicting out of phase signals

result in pixelization.


3. I had an old antenna system and it needed replacing. I bought a

directional yagi antenna and mounted on the opposite side of my house, west

of the steel tower in line with the transmitter location. I replaced all

wiring with triple shielded coax and my splitter as well.


At this time, the problem seems to be resolved. For over a week now , no pixelizations issues

Curious about when he changed antennas what did he change to? What was he using before? Specific models?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24636322


last night my device would not turn on from standby.....either with the remote or front button.

Unplugged the device for 1 minute.....all okay.


This happens about once a month......not heard anyone speak to this issue.

I had the same thing happen - called CM and was advised to turn off the option to have the unit shut down automatically after "X" hours of inactivity (I believe it's in the setup menu). He said that could occasionally cause it to hang. No problem since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts

I have been using the dvr+ since jan. and never noticed the audio video syn problem but have not really checked for this since the 103r update. While I have no major problems (that I know of) I like my unit, but in defense of the people posting about CM's exceptionally buggy first release, I do have to say that it is hard for the average person to tell if their particular problem is due to defective hardware or buggy firmware. I do find it very disturbing that CM does not provide release notes on what the new firmware is supposed to fix (seems only the beta testers get that info - there are many more community members that this could help) If CM cares about the owners, they should at least provide information about what they have claimed to fix in updates, from what I read earlier there were many bug fixes, not a bad thing if they were fixed but I think more people in that loop could make for a better determination that they were,indeed,fixed. I hope they change that policy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
I can identify only two issues with video glitching on playback. One was attributable to the laptop based external HD I was using--replaced that with a WD DVR expander and problem was gone. The other issue was heavy glitching on all playback--a cold reboot fixed that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3210#post_24636569


I would concentrate on Scan+remap instead of the program :shrug:

Okay I was able to download smartools, but I have to say I think it is above my pay grade. I am trying to work it out but it looks like DOS to me which is above my pay grade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24640134


Okay I was able to download smartools, but I have to say I think it is above my pay grade. I am trying to work it out but it looks like DOS to me which is above my pay grade.
you did sidetracking ... I did post what program you should use:

- MHDD (download ISO and burn bootable CD)

- Victoria for Windows (free version)


Both will give you SMART, but the goal is run Scan+Remap and get SMART after the scan.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638361


You asked if anyone had proof that the problem existed before the installation of firmware version 103R.


I responded and gave you a link to a video that gave that proof.


The video was uploaded January 20th, when only 101R was available.


You then responded back to me claiming in reference to the video that "he" insisted that he had already uploaded 103R.


Couldn't have. Didn't. 103R didn't exist at the time the video was uploaded.


I asked you to show me where "he" insisted that 103R was already uploaded into the DVR+ when the video was made.


Instead you make reference to another post from someone else that also linked to the video months later to use as an example of the same problems he was experiencing. What kind of credibility is that from you?


The problem existed already in 101R on January 20th when that video was made to show CM support the problem. CM knew of this problem on January 20th. 103R came out much later.


.

Regardless....perhaps it was someone else....and perhaps I got the two individuals confused.....

I was simply quoting someone else.....

How (on this planet ) does that qualify (on any level) as "making stuff up"?!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb2529  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638824


I had the same thing happen - called CM and was advised to turn off the option to have the unit shut down automatically after "X" hours of inactivity (I believe it's in the setup menu). He said that could occasionally cause it to hang. No problem since.

......and what happens if you want or need to use this feature? (the advice to turn the feature off is simply a "band-aid".....it's not a solution to the problem!.....and.....as with other "excuses" that CM is coming up with.....should be deemed unacceptable!!

Something else to add to the (ever growing)

"glitch list"!!

......I suppose that we need to be (very) cautiously optimistic and hope that it pays off in the end!

......or return our units while the option is still available (as the ever-patient "wiscojim" did)!
 
3241 - 3260 of 18104 Posts
Top