AVS Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 18264 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
 @ignatz13

Changing channels sometimes results in a black screen and unable to use remote for up to a minute or more. Usually happens on weaker channels.

Was told I could not scan for channels while playing back a recording or recording a program...even though neither applied.  Had to unplug and reconnect the dvr to do a scan.

Three consecutive full scans resulted in 17 channels, 31 channels, and 22 channels.  Scans were done about 10 minutes apart and weather was clear and sunny. My antenna is a DB8 coupled with a Channel Master Titan 2 preamp. Towers are between 12 and 104 miles away from me and in NE, NW, and South directions.

Guide information was fine, but is completely inaccurate for several channels after most recent scan...specifically lists programming info for NBC, METV, FOX (twice), on four of the PBS channels in my area, i.e., KOETDT - Ch 3.1 says NBC Dateline, but it is actually Oklahoma News Report and KOETDT4 - Ch 3.4  says Wonder Woman is on now...but, it is Word Girl...close, but no cigar.
@ignatz13

The black blank screen is caused when a programmed channel is not being received. (Usually weather related) nothing you can do about that.

Weather being clear and sunny, time of day, inversions, etc can result in drastically different channel scans (especially when they are 104 miles away).

Guide data is done by zip code DMA, not actual channels received. Your distant ones are probably in a different DMA. Actually clicking on that channel should pull PSIP epg data for it to replace the internet epg.

My stations vary from 70-140 miles, and I have dealt with everything you listed in your post. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649490

But some of these problems on other DVR+ boxes might be coming from other external sources, like mine was, and not be the fault of the machine itself.
why not ?

I would suggest it's FW written that way, it cannot handle some issue with a stream what could be a result of issues at station's equipment, but it's not an excuse, as many TV handle such case OK

·
Registered
416 Posts
Two different branded DVR boxes, both had issues at the same time. Both on the same antenna, both on Sacramento stations.

The TiVo Romio wasn't affected, but it's on a different antenna, Fresno stations.

I wasn't home when it occurred, so can't say how a tv would have handled it live.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs222  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24646570

Hey folks,

I've had my DVR+ for a few days and enjoying it for the most part.  I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks and read every post prior to purchasing my unit.  It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied overall.

So I've had a couple of issues that have been addressed on here previously, specifically 1) changing to an odd channel after playing a recorded show (happens every night after watching the news), and 2) the occasional lock-up or slowed response when navigating through the menus.

One that I haven't seen (or don't remember) anyone bringing up before is that on my local FOX station (only one I've noticed it on), the signal seems to "blink" every 1 to 2 seconds while it is in live feed.  The funny thing is, however, if I skip back 10 seconds with the remote it seems to go away.  The signal seems to be fairly strong (84 and 100).  Not a big deal for me, but just something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone had an explanation or if this is something that should be reported to CM.

Thanks,

Welcome, "rcs222" to the problem a day club!.....

I know that I'll get ridiculed by the DVR+ addicts here (I generally do!) but....if I'm interpreting you correctly, this "blinking" (at least for me), started just two days ago. It was early AM and I was watching my local NBC news. Out of nowhere....the video (you mistakingly called it the "signal") started to flash or blink repeatedly. It occurred during commercials as well (so it has nothing to do with it being a "live" broadcast).

It only appeared on the one channel (WNBC-4 in NY). The other channels were OK. I recorded a segment of this show and the recording was clean! Went back to it "live " and there it was again! This persisted for approx. 30 minutes until I got fed up with it and decided to do a cold reboot. It disappeared at that point and has yet to re-occur (however, I've only been able to check it sporadically over the last two days).
FYI.....this problem wasn't present (at the exact same time) with two other TV's (same antenna, same excellent signal)!

It wasn't the signal and it wasn't the channel (even though it didn't occur on other channels that I tested on the DVR+). It was yet another glitch with the DVR+ and quite frankly, it was bad enough to make this channel unwatchable for this period of time!! It also appears as if it may very well have persisted (had I not re-booted the unit)!

Try to figure this one out!!......

Welcome to DVR+ bizarro world!!!

To the DVR+ owners that put the units under their pillows at night.....

I decided not to subject you to yet another complaint about your sweet, lovable DVR+!

......even though this could (potentially) be the start of a (potentially) significant problem, I chose to not burden you with it!

I simply didn't need the ridicule and criticism.....simply for "telling it like it is" and being (perhaps overly) realistic about this unit!

I decided to mention it here and now.....in response to "rcs222".....since it appears as if they had the same exact problem.

Put your seat belts on!......

It's going to be a bumpy ride!!!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649525

why not ?

I would suggest it's FW written that way, it cannot handle some issue with a stream what could be a result of issues at station's equipment, but it's not an excuse, as many TV handle such case OK

Thank you, P Smith!!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs222  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24647564

My issue is not nearly that bad - I view that example as completely unacceptable. Mine is really just a blink and is more aggravating than anything.  There is no lag or loss of picture/sound other than a quick blink - in fact, the first time I noticed it I actually thought I was blinking excessively.  I almost think of it a needing a bit of a buffer, as when I go back 10 seconds it is gone, or I haven't seen it come back yet.  I'll keep an eye on it and try to get some video if I can.

Perhaps in your case, this "blinking" effect was not as significant as it was in my case (and I don't "make stuff up" or exaggerate.....as I've been accused of doing)!

..... In my case it was consistent and really, really annoying!!

In fact.....if you were to combine this with the video "stutters", "skips" and "freezes" (as depicted in the video provided by "artisticimaging" above).....it would make you really hate this unit!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649515

@ignatz13

Changing channels sometimes results in a black screen and unable to use remote for up to a minute or more. Usually happens on weaker channels.

Was told I could not scan for channels while playing back a recording or recording a program...even though neither applied.  Had to unplug and reconnect the dvr to do a scan.

Three consecutive full scans resulted in 17 channels, 31 channels, and 22 channels.  Scans were done about 10 minutes apart and weather was clear and sunny. My antenna is a DB8 coupled with a Channel Master Titan 2 preamp. Towers are between 12 and 104 miles away from me and in NE, NW, and South directions.

Guide information was fine, but is completely inaccurate for several channels after most recent scan...specifically lists programming info for NBC, METV, FOX (twice), on four of the PBS channels in my area, i.e., KOETDT - Ch 3.1 says NBC Dateline, but it is actually Oklahoma News Report and KOETDT4 - Ch 3.4  says Wonder Woman is on now...but, it is Word Girl...close, but no cigar.
@ignatz13

The black blank screen is caused when a programmed channel is not being received. (Usually weather related) nothing you can do about that.

Weather being clear and sunny, time of day, inversions, etc can result in drastically different channel scans (especially when they are 104 miles away).

Guide data is done by zip code DMA, not actual channels received. Your distant ones are probably in a different DMA. Actually clicking on that channel should pull PSIP epg data for it to replace the internet epg.

My stations vary from 70-140 miles, and I have dealt with everything you listed in your post. Hope this helps some.
Thanks for the reply...seems this thing has its share of bugs so far.  

I realize that the guide data is done by the market area and that's why I have my zip code entered for the Tulsa coverage area. Actually clicking on those channels still gave erroneous information.

Another problem I have is everything in the guide more than two days in advance only shows "Unknown Event"  for all channels. 

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649861

Perhaps in your case, this "blinking" effect was not as significant as it was in my case (and I don't "make stuff up" or exaggerate.....as I've been accused of doing)!

..... In my case it was consistent and really, really annoying!!

In fact.....if you were to combine this with the video "stutters", "skips" and "freezes" (as depicted in the video provided by "artisticimaging" above).....it would make you really hate this unit!!

again, if it's so bad, return it! Or sell it, I know there are people in this forum willing to buy it from you!

I KNOW there is no way I would keep ANY device that was as bad as you make it out to be!

·
Registered
416 Posts
 @ignatz13

I realize that the guide data is done by the market area and that's why I have my zip code entered for the Tulsa coverage area. Actually clicking on those channels still gave erroneous information.

Another problem I have is everything in the guide more than two days in advance only shows "Unknown Event" for all channels.

@ignatz13

Are you connected to the internet??

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3150#post_24629369

Curious.....

Has anyone tested an HDMI to either S-Video or RCA video/audio converter box with the DVR+?

I'm wondering if this would be an alternative for copying shows to a standalone DVD recorder.....

as opposed to going through the process of migrating files on a PC.

I realize that it's SD video but it may be a useful option to consider!

Any thoughts?......

Of course, if you know you are going to want a DVD of a show, just record it directly from the antenna to a DVD recorder. It will be SD. However, I have been amazed at the picture quality from the DVD if the source signal was high quality. I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V which which records on DVD RAM discs, up converts to HD, and connects to my high end Samsung TV with an HDMI cable. I had used the Panasonic for years with an SD TV and was not expecting much when I hooked it up to my HD TV. However, the picture is so good that I do not mind usingwith it when I want to record three shows at once or I want a DVD copy to keep.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649941

Yes I am...via ethernet ATT U-Verse

You are obviously not getting the Rovi updates (which would be indicated above the guide). If the channel graphics do not show up to the left of the channel numbers on the guide, you are not connected to the internet. I recently had a problem where I made a change to my WiFi setup and had problems with my wireless connection. I had to unplug the unit to get the status to indicate it had a wireless connection. However, the unit was still not actually receiving anything over internet. I had to do a factory reset to get it working again.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffRW3  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24650004

Of course, if you know you are going to want a DVD of a show, just record it directly from the antenna to a DVD recorder. It will be SD. However, I have been amazed at the picture quality from the DVD if the source signal was high quality. I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V which which records on DVD RAM discs, up converts to HD, and connects to my high end Samsung TV with an HDMI cable. I had used the Panasonic for years with an SD TV and was not expecting much when I hooked it up to my HD TV. However, the picture is so good that I do not mind usingwith it when I want to record three shows at once or I want a DVD copy to keep.

Understood.....and agreed.....but there have been (at least for me) numerous times when you casually record a show on a DVR (not necessarily knowing what to expect.....this would apply more to entertainment based

shows) and would like a copy of it (or at least your own edited version). It's always nice to have the option.

Prior to putting the DVR+ through it's paces, I was doing just this. With the combination of a DTVpal and a Pioneer HDD based DVD recorder. The Pioneer is an outstanding unit for editing off the HDD to a wide variety of media. I truly miss thiis option with the DVR+!

The other (important) thing to consider is the need to record multiple shows that you may want to archive. There's no multiple channel change option if you record direct to a DVD recorder! It's archaic to have the ability to record only one show or on only one channel when you're out! There was a Panasonic DVD recorder (many years ago) that used an IR sender to control various boxes (and even had TVGOS)......but that's then and this is now! There's no longer any support for stand-alone DVD recorders, so it didn't surprise me that the DVR+ had no analog outputs.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffRW3  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649898

Hit the yellow button on the remote to sort the programs by date and time.

Wouldn't it be a nice (and perfectly normal) feature that, when a show finishes playing back, you could simply delete it at that point.....rather than have to survey the list of recordings (which could be listed in folders and even on another page somewhere)!!

Who's brilliant idea was it to not provide the option to delete a recording when playback ends?.....What were they thinking??!!

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3250_50#post_24649490

So last night my DVR+ was VERY sluggish, delayed responsiveness etc.
I saw that recently.  Press and hold the power button on the DVR+ for five seconds, it rebooted, all was well.

Chuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have noticed that blinking channel event and I attributed it to just a bad intermittent signal (most likely due to a weather event). This also seems to effect how the DVR+ plays back a recorded file. I make sure that I first select my strongest signal channel, THEN start my DVR+ recorded files. In all cases my DVR+ recorded files play fine. If I just left the "live" feed on a marginal quality station and started a DVR+ play back, I sometimes would have the DVR+ file freeze and/or lock up. The only way I found to resolve that, was to turn off the DVR+ (using the remote) wait 5 seconds and then turn back on the "live" TV.

Therefore, I found that it is important to have the DVR+ tuned to your best signal quality channel when exiting the devise. That way, if/when your machine starts to record a new scheduled program, there will be no interference to that recorded file from the 2nd tuner due to an intermittent signal quality issue.

EKS

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffRW3  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24650015

You are obviously not getting the Rovi updates (which would be indicated above the guide). If the channel graphics do not show up to the left of the channel numbers on the guide, you are not connected to the internet. I recently had a problem where I made a change to my WiFi setup and had problems with my wireless connection. I had to unplug the unit to get the status to indicate it had a wireless connection. However, the unit was still not actually receiving anything over internet. I had to do a factory reset to get it working again.
At the suggestion of another member, I disconnected from the internet to see if the guide data would change, but it didn't.  I then did a factory reset and still the same basically.  For about 30 minutes, every channel except one was displaying  "Unknown Event" after April 28th.  Now 18 out of 28 channels have no programming information after the 28th until next Saturday.  Some have the channel logos, but the majority do not.  Tried disabling and re-enabling my connection to see if that would help...it didn't.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24651268

At the suggestion of another member, I disconnected from the internet to see if the guide data would change, but it didn't.  I then did a factory reset and still the same basically.  For about 30 minutes, every channel except one was displaying  "Unknown Event" after April 28th.  Now 18 out of 28 channels have no programming information after the 28th until next Saturday.  Some have the channel logos, but the majority do not.  Tried disabling and re-enabling my connection to see if that would help...it didn't.
TV guide programming via ROVI is done based on Zip Code DMA. Do you know if the stations that are not displaying programming information are in the same DMA as the Zip Code you have entered? Are the stations missing data full power or LPTV. LPTV stations are not required to provide EPG data (Class A and Full Power only are) and in the Fresno market there are a LOT of LPTV stations. Rovi does not have any guide data for them, only way to get that fixed is contacting Rovi directly or contacting CM and having them contact Rovi. Other users in here have had guide issues fixed this way previously.

3281 - 3300 of 18264 Posts