AVS Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 18261 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24651285

TV guide programming via ROVI is done based on Zip Code DMA. Do you know if the stations that are not displaying programming information are in the same DMA as the Zip Code you have entered? Are the stations missing data full power or LPTV. LPTV stations are not required to provide EPG data (Class A and Full Power only are) and in the Fresno market there are a LOT of LPTV stations. Rovi does not have any guide data for them, only way to get that fixed is contacting Rovi directly or contacting CM and having them contact Rovi. Other users in here have had guide issues fixed this way previously.
You can't contact Rovi directly you have to go thru CM as they are the ones that are contracted with Rovi.. CM collects the problems and forwards them on to Rovi.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24651357

You can't contact Rovi directly you have to go thru CM as they are the ones that are contracted with Rovi.. CM collects the problems and forwards them on to Rovi.
See forthcoming PM

·
Registered
8 Posts

According to this website ( http://www.global-cm.net/TV%20OK.pdf ), I believe only three of the channels I receive are Low Power.

The zip code I am using ,74470, is in the Tulsa, OK DMA although I also receive programming from the Fort Smith/Fayetteville AR towers.  I have tried several other zip codes. The majority of the channels missing logos and guide data are from Tulsa towers.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24637987

You're talking about normal antenna/signal/reception issues. Totally different. Those reception issues as seen live would record and play back identically each time.

That does not explain the video/audio glitches as were shown in the video and are currently being discussed. Once the broadcast stream is recorded, it should playback the same each time. It doesn't.

The video/audio freeze/skip/stutter issue we're talking about here is when it plays back differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3240#post_24638250

Not having the slightest idea how the unit is architected, could the burden the tuner puts on the system as it acquires and than switches to a different signal have any impact on the system in other areas? It seems at least plausible that if the tuner takes most or all of the CPU resources to switch ATSC streams, or discriminate between two, that other tasks running could suffer, like transfer over USB, recording, or playback.

Only the firmware engineer at CM with the proper tools to analyze processor utilization could answer that question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24651230

I have noticed that blinking channel event and I attributed it to just a bad intermittent signal (most likely due to a weather event). This also seems to effect how the DVR+ plays back a recorded file. I make sure that I first select my strongest signal channel, THEN start my DVR+ recorded files. In all cases my DVR+ recorded files play fine. If I just left the "live" feed on a marginal quality station and started a DVR+ play back, I sometimes would have the DVR+ file freeze and/or lock up. The only way I found to resolve that, was to turn off the DVR+ (using the remote) wait 5 seconds and then turn back on the "live" TV.

Therefore, I found that it is important to have the DVR+ tuned to your best signal quality channel when exiting the devise. That way, if/when your machine starts to record a new scheduled program, there will be no interference to that recorded file from the 2nd tuner due to an intermittent signal quality issue.

EKS

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacheks  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24651230

I have noticed that blinking channel event and I attributed it to just a bad intermittent signal (most likely due to a weather event). This also seems to effect how the DVR+ plays back a recorded file. I make sure that I first select my strongest signal channel, THEN start my DVR+ recorded files. In all cases my DVR+ recorded files play fine. If I just left the "live" feed on a marginal quality station and started a DVR+ play back, I sometimes would have the DVR+ file freeze and/or lock up. The only way I found to resolve that, was to turn off the DVR+ (using the remote) wait 5 seconds and then turn back on the "live" TV.

Therefore, I found that it is important to have the DVR+ tuned to your best signal quality channel when exiting the devise. That way, if/when your machine starts to record a new scheduled program, there will be no interference to that recorded file from the 2nd tuner due to an intermittent signal quality issue.

EKS

In my "blinking channel" situation, there was excellent signal at the time and I confirmed this on two other TV's (same antenna, same signal)!

In addition, when I switched off the DVR+ and reverted to the same TV's tuner, it was perfectly normal!

It only appeared on "live" TV viewing (which I do quite often and should function normally.....or so I thought!)

These units require such high maintenance that it's getting ridiculous!!

I long for the day when I can turn it on and simply enjoy it......for once!!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG2  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24651333

Without the "please wait loading" startup hang!

Curious.....what "please wait loading" hang?

I've used three of them and know several others that have (multiple) units. Never saw or heard of this problem!

What exactly is this?

I have three of them that I was using daily for years and I only wish that the DVR+ worked as well!!

I lost faith in the DTVpal when I had to rely on the (horrible) PSIP guide and the fact that I had to re-adjust the time every few days.

Up to that point, they were very dependable and very reliable!

......if the DVR+ had been built on the same platform, this thread would basically be empty!....."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24651705

Re: Your post, #3305

No comment here....only quotes.

Suggest that you delete it. Thanks!
perhaps doing many quotas it been forgot what want to say...

posting URLs to that relevant posts would be much clean and readable if someone want to say something based on others

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfitztx  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24645279

I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed that if you set up the DVR+ to record all programs of the same name that the recorded programs in the folder are not in chronological order?  I have to scroll through page after page of recorded programs looking for the oldest program in the series. I emailed CM support and they said that there was no way of sorting the programs by date and time. This drives me nuts and I am hoping that someone has an explanation why the DVR+ would do this and how to possibly fix the issue.

Yellow button.....

Isn't it both incredible and (very) sad when the manufacturer themselves doesn't even know the features/functions of they're own product......how embarrassing is this?

.....and why can't you simply delete (or save) a show when playback has ended?..... What's up with having to sort through the entire list (and even folders) just to delete a show that you've just watched.....this is ridiculous, CM!!!!

..... And you wonder why I'm so critical?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
@slprp1, it could be simple as 2cents: who wrote the FW (yeah, Brits, from Eldon,UK) don't know squat what tricks we have here in many different DVRs; second, they are cut of our US market nor reading here - CM do uzurpate the privilege to tell them what need to do by USERS experience.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24649490

So last night my DVR+ was VERY sluggish, delayed responsiveness etc. Thought maybe I was finally seeing some of the types of problems @slprp1 is always talking about. It was unusable, so I unplugged it for a minute and all was good again.

After doing that I realized better make sure my other DVR (used for recording shows to watch on my phone, same room, same antenna) was setup for a couple shows. I turned it on and it was a blue screen with the upper left corner analog fuzz. I turned it off and on a couple times, same thing. I unplugged it for a minute, plugged it back in and all was good.

I have never had this type of problem with either DVR before, and to have major problems from both at the same time? Makes me wonder if it was something in a signal, weather, I have no idea.

But some of these problems on other DVR+ boxes might be coming from other external sources, like mine was, and not be the fault of the machine itself.

EDIT: well it seems like the problems weren't limited to the DVR+ and ViewTv DVR's.

Playback of recordings on the TiVo Romio of shows from the same night had video and audio problems. That makes three different DVR's, two seperate antennas, and stations from both Sacramento and Fresno. Either that or something locally (around my house) caused a problem that was seen across the board on every DVR in my house. Think that rules this incident out as a DVR+ problem.

For others who are having the same or similar problems, do you have other DVR's in the house that are/were used during the same time frame. To see if it was an isolated incident (DVR+ only) or if it is cross platform (multiple DVR's from differnt manufacturers) as it was at my location. 

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24651441

I have tried several other zip codes. The majority of the channels missing logos and guide data are from Tulsa towers.

Does the DVR+ Guide continue to update channels from previously entered zip codes, or does it just update the channels associated with the current code?

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24652182

Does the DVR+ Guide continue to update channels from previously entered zip codes, or does it just update the channels associated with the current code?
Just channels associated with the current zip code.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24652175

looks like PSIP only guide
PSIP only guide does not include channel logos though, which is what makes this confusing.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24652201

PSIP only guide does not include channel logos though, which is what makes this confusing.

The missing logos do help to identify which are PSIP channels, although I have one channel without a logo that has two weeks of information, so it must be getting it from Rovi.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24652243

The missing logos do help to identify which are PSIP channels, although I have one channel without a logo that has two weeks of information, so it must be getting it from Rovi.
FCC mandates 12 hours of EPG data on all Full Power and Class A TV stations. That being said, stations can do the minimum, or more. There are people in other AVS threads that have stations they pick up with 2 weeks worth of EPG guide data, (not a DVR+ and not connected to the internet) via PSIP. So the one channel "could" be PSIP.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300#post_24652268

FCC mandates 12 hours of EPG data on all Full Power and Class A TV stations. That being said, stations can do the minimum, or more. There are people in other AVS threads that have stations they pick up with 2 weeks worth of EPG guide data, (not a DVR+ and not connected to the internet) via PSIP. So the one channel "could" be PSIP.

If this is true, some (primary network) stations (here in NYC) are ignoring this mandate!

On my DTVpal DVR, it's typical to have very limited listings (6-8 hours in some cases).

This is the primary reason for my looking forward to using the DVR+ as a replacement.

TVGOS was far superior to PSIP.

The Rovi/DVR+ guide is even better than TVGOS!

3301 - 3320 of 18261 Posts