AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 18053 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
From all that I've heard on this forum: with the next version of the software a DVR+ connected to the Internet will keep time very accurately - I say this because if you use the NTP server as the first choice in any algorithm it's awfully tough to get it wrong. Considering in this day and age most of us live in a connected world and that this device needs to be connected to the Internet to enjoy its full benefits (e.g., the 2 week guide), it's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to write code assuming an NTP server is available. The wait for the release probably means the testers are putting this to its paces (which is what we want them to do before the rest of us get the software).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24663915


From all that I've heard on this forum: with the next version of the software a DVR+ connected to the Internet will keep time very accurately - I say this because if you use the NTP server as the first choice in any algorithm it's awfully tough to get it wrong. Considering in this day and age most of us live in a connected world and that this device needs to be connected to the Internet to enjoy its full benefits (e.g., the 2 week guide), it's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to write code assuming an NTP server is available. The wait for the release probably means the testers are putting this to its paces (which is what we want them to do before the rest of us get the software).
 

My DVR+ came with the 103R firmware version installed. I haven't confirmed whether it is syncing through PSIP or NTP but it keeps very consistent (if not accurate) time. I've checked it a number of times against a clock app on my iPad and it consistently changes to the next minute when my iPad clock shows 20 seconds after the minute. It would be informative to know exactly what CM is planning to fix. I'm wondering if the time syncing problem has to do with units which rely on PSIP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I received the DVR+ unit within the past week and wanted to share some of my experiences. I'm by no means an expert on OTA configurations or used any DVR competing product other than what has been previously supplied by the cable company. I live in a major city, about 10-15 miles from the broadcast towers, and am using a non-amplified antenna that is very similar to the Mohu Leaf, the unit is using hard wired ethernet, not wireless.


Video compression over cable services is noticeable to me, the sharpness and lack of pixelization of OTA broadcasts is a welcome change! This is my first venture to cutting the cord, it became very apparent from the beginning that the market of quality devices providing the ability to time shift OTA broadcasts is very anemic. The price tag of the DVR+ device is acceptable for me given the guide data being updated and not having recurring monthly fees (like tivo). Dropping cable TV services will save us ~$70/mo, the unit will pay for itself in less than 4 months. I have spare drives hanging around, I preferred that I could reuse one of these instead of paying for more hardware that I didn't need, I just needed to supply an external casing. Previous posters have indicated there may be some sort of buffering issue, I do wish the internal connections were functional so we could eliminate a lot of guessing here.


I do like the aesthetics of the interface, although workflow of the UI certainly does need some work, which many have pointed out here. I think these are things I can live with for now, but I don't understand how certain basic workflows are not standard in this day and age. Examples include: a) Recording only new broadcasts, not repeats. b) Being promoted to delete or save after viewing a recording. c) Watching a current recording and fast forwarding to the point of it being "Live" and suddenly being kicked back to the DVR menu and no longer watching the program.


I have not encountered any issues with the DVR+ keeping correct time but have experience some previously mentioned issues already. While the issues above are things I can live with in order to save $70/mo, the ones below are very hard to swallow.


1. There are times when the video will break up and drop out, I have not rewound to see if the video is fine during playback. It could be an issue with the signal dropping out, I'm not sure; however, I do feel that the DVR+ does not handle signal dropouts very well and sends the unit in a panic.

2. Last night, the channel for NBC suddenly became a station that broadcasts mexican programming. I wasn't recording anything on that station at the time, it would be very upsetting discovering this when trying to play something I had recorded.

3. I've noticed on one station the "blinking" issue that has been previously described. I haven't witnessed this on other stations, but I've only had the unit less than a week. When this occurs I can hit the 10 second back button and everything is fine. I'll go back to Live TV, it will be fine for a bit, then begin to blink at some point. This behavior has happened twice in the past week. To me, this indicates a software issue on the DVR+ unit.



Overall, I like the unit, but the issues above may be show stoppers if they continue after the forthcoming firmware update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peart75  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300_100#post_24665084


Overall, I like the unit, but the issues above may be show stoppers if they continue after the forthcoming firmware update.
I think everyone is waiting to see if CM delivers on their intentions. I think it is a given that not every issue will be addressed. It just remains to be seen which ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24660718


sooziecue,


In post #3161, on page 106, I posted some info on fixing the time.  Ever since then, the time has been stable for me.

Firmware 103R suddenly appeared on my DVR+ about 10-12 days ago, and The Time Problem began.


Following Arenal04's advice, I tried fiddling with the ZIP code setting, but ended up leaving it the same. I also switched back and forth between Auto time and the Manual setting, leaving the time set to Auto (as it was before) . I think I also ran a "Check disk" scan. (I wish I'd kept a better record.) I did not do a new channel scan.


When I stopped messing about, the time was correct! It has stayed that way for nearly a week. Fingers crossed.


Good luck.


--DawnSun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24666916


Where do you find 106R?


I looked on the CM support site, and the software is still 103R. http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update


Is 106R on the DVR+ box itself, downloadable via the WiFi adapter?


--DawnSun
I just turned my DVR+ off and then back on and it downloaded automatically...didn't do it when I tried through settings though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24666916

Where do you find 106R?


I looked on the CM support site, and the software is still 103R. http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update


Is 106R on the DVR+ box itself, downloadable via the WiFi adapter?


--DawnSun

I updated via the menu selection, using a hard-wired Ethernet connection. I was directed to the update by a Channel Master support person after my unit started malfunctioning badly. This was a replacement unit sent after my first one died after just a few days.


Details:


I was out of town 4/19-4/28, with several programs scheduled to record. I returned on 4/29. When I turned on the unit, I got a solid purple/pink screen. I turned it back off, and disconnected power. After re-connecting the power supply, it started up, but after a few key presses from the remote, it stopped responding again. I held the front button to do a "soft reboot". This seemed to bring it back up. I could do some remote operations--enough to observe that nothing was recorded after 4/22. Then it would stop responding again. Oddly, it would continue to respond to the power button on the remote, but nothing else.


I tried to do a "factory reset" but it just said "factory reset in process--please wait" while the currently tuned program continued to play in the background. Eventually, I did a soft reboot with the front button, which got me operating again until the unit stopped responding once again.


After being directed to the update by Channel Master support, I did a soft reboot which made the unit responsive long enough so that I could install the update.


Based on just a few minutes of use, it seemed to be working OK after the 106R update.


Unfortunately, recordings for the week of 4/23-4/28 did not take place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24666544


Firmware 106R is downloadable now.
 

I downloaded 106R on my DVR+ through my hard wired Ethernet connection. It failed on the first attempt, but then loaded it on the second try and completed the update without any problems.

 

It looks like this update might have fixed the problem I was having on one channel with Record by Name not working. I also just heard back from Steven Hatch at Channel Master, confirming that the Default Early and Late Recording Times do not apply to Manual Recordings. He said "...that is the way the DVR was set up and that is the way the software works," but that he would treat this issue as a feature request for a possible future update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24666544


Firmware 106R is downloadable now.

No, it's not.


First, I tried the automatic update. The unit went into maintenance mode and couldn't find the download. It gave up after three tries.


So, I went to the website to download 106R manually. Guess what? It's not there. See screenshot below. There is no "link below" to click on to download the update.


This is entirely consistent with the Keystone Cops nature of CM support. Their support is slow and ineffective. They have not delivered on their promises and the device is barely useable given the bugs we are all experiencing.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24668161


Yes, thank you. Just added recently. It wasn't up earlier this afternoon.


.

Wisco,


Did I miss an announcement where you picked up a new DVR+? Just curious.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
154 Posts
For those wanting CM to detail what the firmware is addressing I just got this in an email:


Today, a new update, 106R, is available and will further enhance the overall DVR+ user experience. Enhancements include simplified network connection screen, improved Wi-Fi status calibration, enhancements to the accuracy of system time and several other minor improvements. This software update is available via direct download from the DVR+ or it can be downloaded from our website onto a flash drive to be installed on the DVR+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24668215


For those wanting CM to detail what the firmware is addressing I just got this in an email:


Today, a new update, 106R, is available and will further enhance the overall DVR+ user experience. Enhancements include simplified network connection screen, improved Wi-Fi status calibration, enhancements to the accuracy of system time and several other minor improvements. This software update is available via direct download from the DVR+ or it can be downloaded from our website onto a flash drive to be installed on the DVR+.
I got it too; if they have you email then it will be in your email box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300_100#post_24668198


Wisco,


Did I miss an announcement where you picked up a new DVR+? Just curious.

No, but right from the start I have been archiving things from their website, and I added this to my folder right away before it disappears.


I'm still waiting until CM had gotten most of the bugs out of this and added other streaming services they promised would be forthcoming many months ago.


Until then I just want to stay up-to-date on all that is transpiring.


.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24667940


No, it's not.


First, I tried the automatic update. The unit went into maintenance mode and couldn't find the download. It gave up after three tries.


So, I went to the website to download 106R manually. Guess what? It's not there. See screenshot below. There is no "link below" to click on to download the update.


This is entirely consistent with the Keystone Cops nature of CM support. Their support is slow and ineffective. They have not delivered on their promises and the device is barely useable given the bugs we are all experiencing.


Ditto!.....agreed!

......and yet again they're being vague (at least in a "damage control" e-mail that was sent out) as to what exactly 106R does to resolve the (numerous) issues/problems we've been experiencing on a daily basis!!

They specify that it's going to resolve "minor issues".....the problems that it should have addressed are very far from being "minor", so therefore, I'm not at all impressed (at least in the vague description that they provided)!!

Although, in the process of doing "damage control" I'm hopeful (or perhaps dreaming) that they just might classify truly major issues as "minor".....so as to not panic anyone!

.....I sincerely hope that I'm wrong but this may very well be another "pacifier" (fingers and toes crossed)!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
First off, why is there complaining and grumbling about 106R (0.5) already, before anyone has even has enough time to see what it did or did not fix? Can we save all of that until after the update actually has a chance to be "tested/used"?


I will say that so far the DVR+ is more responsive (instant response from the remote).

@Yobyot Yes the download is available, I just finished it. We are not ALL experiencing the "bugs" and my unit is very usable.


Does anyone know the file size of the FW update? If it is anything in relation to how long it took to download, it should be quite large.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24669140


...Does anyone know the file size of the FW update? If it is anything in relation to how long it took to download, it should be quite large.

Firmware 106R is 36.5 MB which should (if there are no other bottlenecks in your connection) take 4 minutes to download on a 1.5 Mbps DSL connection or less than 1 minute if your download connection speed is 6 Mbps or greater.
 
3341 - 3360 of 18053 Posts
Top