AVS Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 18067 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24669140


First off, why is there complaining and grumbling about 106R (0.5) already, before anyone has even has enough time to see what it did or did not fix? Can we save all of that until after the update actually has a chance to be "tested/used"?


I will say that so far the DVR+ is more responsive (instant response the remote).

@Yobyot Yes the download is available, I just finished it. We are not ALL experiencing the "bugs" and my unit is very usable.


Does anyone know the file size of the FW update? If it is anything in relation to how long it took to download, it should be quite large.
Relax!.....

No one is "complaining and grumbling" about 106R (not yet, anyway)! You need to read more carefully and stop being so defensive!

The issues discussed here regarding 106R (so far, at least) concern the inability (for some) to download the file -and- the fact that CM was being (suspiciously) vague (as they've been previously) as to what real (major.....not "minor") problems it addresses (at least according to the "damage control" e-mail message that they sent out).

I, for one (believe it or not) am trying to be cautiously optimistic about it (fingers and toes crossed).

......that's why I kept my unit in the first place!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
 @slprp1 I got the email this evening, but saw nothing about it (the update) when I turned my machine on. I went to settings, technical info, version info, and new software was available, so I downloaded it.


The first attempt at a download failed, so it tried again, went through the second time. I have 50MB internet, but it still took about 5 minutes to dl.


So far the DVR+seems much more responsive. I know the focus of the FW update was stability and reliability issues. So I'm hoping things continue as such.


As to the "minor" fixes, I've never seen any company come out and say "major problems". Wouldn't be good for business, lol, no matter how bad they were.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24669230

@slprp1 I got the email this evening, but saw nothing about it (the update) when I turned my machine on. I went to settings, technical info, version info, and new software was available, so I downloaded it.


The first attempt at a download failed, so it tried again, went through the second time. I have 50MB internet, but it still took about 5 minutes to dl.


So far the DVR+seems much more responsive. I know the focus of the FW update was stability and reliability issues. So I'm hoping things continue as such.


As to the "minor" fixes, I've never seen any company come out and say "major problems". Wouldn't be good for business, lol, no matter how bad they were.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to specifically state "major problems" but ultimately, they should be more forthcoming and more specific about the problems it actually addressed (in addition to connectivity issues....which are minor). Granted, it supposedly fixes the time issues (hopefully). I would simply prefer that they list specifically what else it addressed.....

Regardless if how "minor" it may be!

I don't appreciate the vagueness and all of the "sugar-coating" in their e-mail!

......time will tell!
BTW....Insofar as the "responsiveness" is concerned.....the response time has always varied. Sometimes fast (normal), other times much too slow (abnormal).....and everything in between. It's certainly not a major issue (I never even mentioned it) but hopefully it's resolved (too soon to tell).

Perfect example of what I mentioned previously .....if, in fact, it was resolved with 106R.....why not specify this in the announcement e-mail they sent out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Has anyone tried to use a flash drive instead of an external hard drive?


Also, how many hours of tv can be stored on the internal 16gbs? I know on some devices that we stream, an hour show is about 1gb. If cm 7500 is similar, I wouldn't even need the external drive, as I only have about 6 hours of recordings on my device at any given time, since I delete them upon viewing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300_100#post_24669140



Does anyone know the file size of the FW update? If it is anything in relation to how long it took to download, it should be quite large.

The file size is very close to the size of the previous versions that it replaces. It should download in a similar amount of time.








.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300_100#post_24668215


For those wanting CM to detail what the firmware is addressing I just got this in an email:


Today, a new update, 106R, is available and will further enhance the overall DVR+ user experience. Enhancements include simplified network connection screen, improved Wi-Fi status calibration, enhancements to the accuracy of system time and several other minor improvements. This software update is available via direct download from the DVR+ or it can be downloaded from our website onto a flash drive to be installed on the DVR+.
I have a more complete list. I'm just checking with my source to see if anything was added in the transition from 105R to 106R before I post it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxel6307  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24669319


Has anyone tried to use a flash drive instead of an external hard drive?
My internet connection is a 3G Verizon MiFi Hotspot. The DVR+ didn't want to use it for update for 103R awhile back and it didn't this time either. I downloaded the 106R file to a thumbdrive within the last hour. While the DVR+ was on, I removed the CM WiFi button and left the HDD plugged in. I plugged in the thumbdrive and nothing happened. I after about a half minute, I re-inserted the thumbdrive and got a popup window reporting the upgrade was available on a USB device and confirmed the choice. It went through a few minutes of gyrations with various screen notices and finished. For better or worse, it now has 106R.


I'm using it in an RV and changing locations about once a week. I completely power it off on travel days. Using AntennaPoint.com and a compass I aim the rooftop antenna. I reset the zip code and do an automatic channel scan.


It is a little more work than when I had a KVH automatic, in-motion antenna for DirecTV, but the price is a lot better. The picture quality is better too as OTA broadcasts don't seem to have the compression that DirecTV has.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24669994


My internet connection is a 3G Verizon MiFi Hotspot. The DVR+ didn't want to use it for update for 103R awhile back and it didn't this time either. I downloaded the 106R file to a thumbdrive within the last hour. While the DVR+ was on, I removed the CM WiFi button and left the HDD plugged in. I plugged in the thumbdrive and nothing happened. I after about a half minute, I re-inserted the thumbdrive and got a popup window reporting the upgrade was available on a USB device and confirmed the choice. It went through a few minutes of gyrations with various screen notices and finished. For better or worse, it now has 106R.


I'm using it in an RV and changing locations about once a week. I completely power it off on travel days. Using AntennaPoint.com and a compass I aim the rooftop antenna. I reset the zip code and do an automatic channel scan.


It is a little more work than when I had a KVH automatic, in-motion antenna for DirecTV, but the price is a lot better. The picture quality is better too as OTA broadcasts don't seem to have the compression that DirecTV has.


Bill

Have you recorded shows on the thumb drive? If so, how was it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxel6307  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24670005


Have you recorded shows on the thumb drive? If so, how was it.
No, mine is not nearly big enough. I'm using an HDD that I replaced with a much bigger HDD for my videographer addiction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
One thing I notice about 106R is that the DVR+ seems no longer to be interfering with my ability to control my Sony Google TV box (NSZ GS7) with the remote for my Sony TV. In other words the HDMI control feature between these two devices is working again after not working since I installed the DVR+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Had this problem with unit frozen caused by unplugging hard drive and inserting flash drive.  Got CM tech to help.  

1/ power cord out, then insert usb drive.  cable and hdmi only other connections

2/using 2 hands, hold front power button down while connecting power cord in back

3/front blue light flashes, red light comes on for a second.  as soon as all lights out, let go of front power button and count 3 then push front button once

4/screen should go grey then show update in progress.  unit will restart

 

this didn't work the first time.  had to remove flash and insert to computer.  a file folder called core dumping was added.  trashed  that folder, ejected and did whole process again and it worked

 

5/take usb out, attach hard drive and go thru onscreen prompts for hard drive

6/insert wifi dongle

 

my wifi updates always fail.  tech says manual updates are always best with flash drive.

 

I'm maybe 1/4 tech savvy.  just wanted to post this because tech said this procedure is not on their site and sounds like it isn't high on priority to get it there as it isnt common.  
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxel6307  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24669319


Has anyone tried to use a flash drive instead of an external hard drive?


Also, how many hours of tv can be stored on the internal 16gbs? I know on some devices that we stream, an hour show is about 1gb. If cm 7500 is similar, I wouldn't even need the external drive, as I only have about 6 hours of recordings on my device at any given time, since I delete them upon viewing them.
 

I've read that 2 hours can be stored internally and that the DVR+ needs at least 80GB of external storage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

I never had a chance to try the rescan since the new FW is already out!  

 

I updated my FW using my wifi - worked the first time round for me, no problems.  I didn't have the DVR+ on long enough for it to prompt me about the update, I just went through the Settings to do it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3330#post_24669140


I will say that so far the DVR+ is more responsive (instant response from the remote).
 

Unfortunately, the remote responsiveness of my DVR+ seemed worse last night after the new FW installed - very slow; slower than the lag I'd noticed before (I didn't mention it earlier since the problem had already been mentioned on here and the only fix sounded like getting a universal remote to replace the OEM remote).  I'll wait and see if it continues to be really slow, and if my clock seems fixed...  
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24670880


Unfortunately, the remote responsiveness of my DVR+ seemed worse last night after the new FW installed - very slow; slower than the lag I'd noticed before (I didn't mention it earlier since the problem had already been mentioned on here and the only fix sounded like getting a universal remote to replace the OEM remote).  I'll wait and see if it continues to be really slow, and if my clock seems fixed...  

I think it seems slower too, but mainly when accessing the guide or scrolling in the guide. Otherwise it seems OK. I'm using a Harmony One, but it seems the same whether I use that or the CM remote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3300_100#post_24670901


general recommendation: after install new FW, do cold reboot

Very good advice. Should always be done.


What do you recommend as a cold boot for the DVR+.

Pull the plug for a full power cycle?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziecue  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24670880


Unfortunately, the remote responsiveness of my DVR+ seemed worse last night after the new FW installed - very slow; slower than the lag I'd noticed before (I didn't mention it earlier since the problem had already been mentioned on here and the only fix sounded like getting a universal remote to replace the OEM remote).  I'll wait and see if it continues to be really slow, and if my clock seems fixed...  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671027


I think it seems slower too, but mainly when accessing the guide or scrolling in the guide. Otherwise it seems OK. I'm using a Harmony One, but it seems the same whether I use that or the CM remote.

Here we go again!!......

Should I "sit on my hands" -or- suggest that everyone that's done the upgrade post about the remote control responsiveness (or lack thereof)?

If, indeed, the responsiveness is worse (especially if it's consistently worse).....then we have (yet another) blunder on the part of CM!!

(Sorry.....my hands were getting restless!)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnont  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24670258


Had this problem with unit frozen caused by unplugging hard drive and inserting flash drive.  Got CM tech to help.  

1/ power cord out, then insert usb drive.  cable and hdmi only other connections

2/using 2 hands, hold front power button down while connecting power cord in back

3/front blue light flashes, red light comes on for a second.  as soon as all lights out, let go of front power button and count 3 then push front button once

4/screen should go grey then show update in progress.  unit will restart


this didn't work the first time.  had to remove flash and insert to computer.  a file folder called core dumping was added.  trashed  that folder, ejected and did whole process again and it worked


5/take usb out, attach hard drive and go thru onscreen prompts for hard drive

6/insert wifi dongle


my wifi updates always fail.  tech says manual updates are always best with flash drive.


I'm maybe 1/4 tech savvy.  just wanted to post this because tech said this procedure is not on their site and sounds like it isn't high on priority to get it there as it isnt common.  

Curious?......

Did they also advise you to stand on your head and wiggle your ears and nose at the same time?

(admit it......you laughed!)
 
3361 - 3380 of 18067 Posts
Top