AVS Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 18101 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxel6307  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3350_50#post_24669319


Has anyone tried to use a flash drive instead of an external hard drive?


Also, how many hours of tv can be stored on the internal 16gbs? I know on some devices that we stream, an hour show is about 1gb. If cm 7500 is similar, I wouldn't even need the external drive, as I only have about 6 hours of recordings on my device at any given time, since I delete them upon viewing them.
 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3350_50#post_24670665

 

 

I've read that 2 hours can be stored internally and that the DVR+ needs at least 80GB of external storage.
On recorders that use bit-rate recording, meaning the content is not changed, a 1080i/5.1 one hour recording is over 7GB and less than 8GB. I can't imagine a one hour program using 1GB unless it's analog.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24670901


general recommendation: after install new FW, do cold reboot

Good suggestion.....

but will it help the (reported) remote control sluggishness since the 106R "upgrade"?


Let's hear about something positive (and hopefully significant) that may have occurred since the "upgrade" (other the the aforementioned supposed obscure HDMI control improvement)......Thanks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus1063  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24669565


I ran the 106R upgrade, when to try VUDU, I get error message HDCP Error and a haze on the screen.

.....Scary!!

Has anyone else seen this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671550


I can't imagine a one hour program using 1GB unless it's analog.

How do you measure the size of an analogue recording in bytes?
You might find some SD sub-channels that clock in at 1GB / hour, but HD channels are pretty much guaranteed to be more than that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts
New question.....

I thought that there was some discussion about "live TV" buffering with the DVR+ (in regard to the video/audio glitches we've been experiencing).

Wouldn't this cause a delay (although slight)?

......I happened to have the DVR+ and another TV powered on (adjoining rooms) on the same channel, at the same time.

A delay (even minimal) would create an echo effect with the audio. There was none. The video and audio matched up perfectly.

......therefore it actually is live TV (at least in my estimation).

......any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3350_50#post_24671752



How do you measure the size of an analogue recording in bytes?
You might find some SD sub-channels that clock in at 1GB / hour, but HD channels are pretty much guaranteed to be more than that.
I still get 5 analog test channels. I guess I should have mentioned I'm on cable. My HD digital channels vary but most are about 18MBs measuring with kmttg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith 


general recommendation: after install new FW, do cold reboot

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671036



Very good advice. Should always be done.


What do you recommend as a cold boot for the DVR+.

Pull the plug for a full power cycle?
 

So, you're saying that the cold boot done automatically after installing the new firmware isn't good enough by itself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24672157


So, you're saying that the cold boot done automatically after installing the new firmware isn't good enough by itself?
it's "warm reboot" aka reset by FW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671815


New question.....

I thought that there was some discussion about "live TV" buffering with the DVR+ (in regard to the video/audio glitches we've been experiencing).

Wouldn't this cause a delay (although slight)?

......I happened to have the DVR+ and another TV powered on (adjoining rooms) on the same channel, at the same time.

A delay (even minimal) would create an echo effect with the audio. There was none. The video and audio matched up perfectly.

......therefore it actually is live TV (at least in my estimation).

......any thoughts?
no more such misunderstanding - we recently discuss it; live TV is on HDMI output in parallel with recoding to HDD/Internal storage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671604



Let's hear about something positive (and hopefully significant) that may have occurred since the "upgrade" (other the the aforementioned supposed obscure HDMI control improvement)......Thanks!

Time when connected to the Internet is rock solid. Previously, unlike some of the others, my clock was flaky. Needless to say I'm thrilled with this development and it'll be interesting to see what it does to back to back recordings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3350_50#post_24672157

 

 

So, you're saying that the cold boot done automatically after installing the new firmware isn't good enough by itself?
The automatic rebot during firmware install was good enough for me.


I did have to hook up an Ethernet cable to get the down load to work.  Multiple failures on wireless.

 

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24671604


Let's hear about something positive (and hopefully significant) that may have occurred since the "upgrade" (other the the aforementioned supposed obscure HDMI control improvement)......Thanks!

Well, it's still early, but I haven't experienced any audio/video playback glitches with 106R so far. That's significant for sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24673190


Well, it's still early, but I haven't experienced any audio/video playback glitches with 106R so far. That's significant for sure.

Thanks!..... but like you said.....it's still early.....

These A/V "glitches" have been intermittent (sometimes even highly intermittent).

It's only been one day and the fact that you haven't seen these "glitches" may simply be a coincidence.

Besides.....(supposedly) this problem wasn't even addressed in 106R!

......Time will tell!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus1063  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3350_50#post_24669565

 

I ran the 106R upgrade, when to try VUDU, I get error message HDCP Error and a haze on the screen.
 

I noticed after the upgrade that under Factory Reset menu item, there is now an option to reset the VUDU channel. Maybe you need to do that?

 

Couple of random notes:

 

I am connected by ethernet. I did the upgrade and it downloaded and worked first try. It did seem like the DVR was slow to respond to the remote so I did a warm reboot (held down the power button so it would restart) and it seems better now.

 

I have had intermittent problems with recurring recordings just stopping or disappearing. Only happened a couple of times and I had to reschedule. Hopefully the update addresses that.

 

I have also experienced the occasional flickering screen. Not often, and when it happens I switch back to the TV tuner and the channel is fine so it is something in the DVR+ itself. Again, maybe we won't see this with the new update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3360#post_24672221



Time when connected to the Internet is rock solid... it'll be interesting to see what it does to back to back recordings.
 

My experience is that the first episode gets priority, and if you want the recording for the second episode to start on time, set the Default Late Recording Time to zero and hope that your DVR+ clock is running a few seconds ahead of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24674919


My experience is that the first episode gets priority, and if you want the recording for the second episode to start on time, set the Default Late Recording Time to zero and hope that your DVR+ clock is running a few seconds ahead of time.

Mine is the opposite, the buffers are ignored, and they end/start on time (if both tuners are used) and are maintained if only 1tuner is recording (one tuner will allocate the first show, the other tuner the second, keeping all buffers).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sandman905

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24676740



Mine is the opposite, the buffers are ignored, and they end/start on time (if both tuners are used) and are maintained if only 1tuner is recording (one tuner will allocate the first show, the other tuner the second, keeping all buffers).
 

Good point about one tuner verses two. That would explain some of the discrepancies I've seen in the length of recordings.
 
3381 - 3400 of 18101 Posts
Top