AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 18083 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24673316

Thanks!..... but like you said.....it's still early.....

These A/V "glitches" have been intermittent (sometimes even highly intermittent).

It's only been one day and the fact that you haven't seen these "glitches" may simply be a coincidence.

Besides.....(supposedly) this problem wasn't even addressed in 106R!

......Time will tell!

Yup, it was too early. I'm still getting occasional, brief audio dropouts when playing some recorded programs if the unit is recording something at the same time. The dropouts are not in the recording since they don't repeat if you re-play it. This is the same as before. So far, I've only experienced it with recordings from our ABC station, but I previously had seen it on recordings from Fox. These are both 720p, whatever that might mean. I've never heard a dropout on CBS or NBC recordings, no matter what the unit was doing.

These dropouts are very brief and not too common. I got about 3 of them while watching a 1/2 hr. program, about 1 syllable long each.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24677263

Yup, it was too early. I'm still getting occasional, brief audio dropouts when playing some recorded programs if the unit is recording something at the same time. The dropouts are not in the recording since they don't repeat if you re-play it. This is the same as before. So far, I've only experienced it with recordings from our ABC station, but I previously had seen it on recordings from Fox. These are both 720p, whatever that might mean. I've never heard a dropout on CBS or NBC recordings, no matter what the unit was doing.

These dropouts are very brief and not too common. I got about 3 of them while watching a 1/2 hr. program, about 1 syllable long each.

Curious....are you experiencing (or have you experienced) video issues?

The video issues that I've had don't necessarily coincide with the audio issues (I have those as well). They have included quick freezes, skips and awkward sudden motions in the video that are difficult to describe.

Sometimes it's subtle, other times it's pronounced. Regardless.....it's an ongoing problem that numerous others here have reported.....and it appears to not have been addressed in 106R!.....which is a major disappointment!!
BTW.....In my case these problems (both audio and video) occur whether I'm recording one show or two. It's relative to the playback and appears frequently when I'm simply playing back a recording (with no recording taking place at the same time).

·
Banned
954 Posts
Even though I'm generally pessimistic (in case you hadn't noticed!).....

As anxious as we may be (and appropriately, I might add!), it's probably best if we wait awhile before drawing any conclusions about 106R.

Certain issues have been intermittent and we need to live with it for awhile (to see if we can coexist or not!).

In the interim.....I'd like to see a list of what exactly 106R addressed.

.....by maintaining this "veil of secrecy", CM is only creating suspicion and (potential) distrust (at least in my opinion)!

.....the e-mail announcement that they sent out was mostly vague and of little value!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24678412

What does that mean?
it was a response to the phrases:
Quote:
the e-mail announcement that they sent out was mostly vague and of little value!

by maintaining this "veil of secrecy", CM is only creating suspicion and (potential) distrust (at least in my opinion)!

·
Registered
15 Posts

HALLELUJAH!!

Latest 106 update was successful via CM wireless adapter.  Note, it said Failed, Retrying twice, on the 3rd time, the download bar appeared and ran for about 3 minutes.  I am AT&T Uverse, 24m via wireless connection.  My suggestion, do not interrupt when it says, Failed and Retrying.  Let is cycle thru the gyrations and hopefully it is fixing your connection and eventually updates via wireless connection. 

Note, I had to download to thumb drive to install 103

Overall, I would rate this unit a "B" or 4 out of 5.  Plenty good for my needs.  Sometimes I wonder if I should have ordered the TIVO unit.  I may at some time in the future.  If I like it, I could take the CM unit to my cabin in Wisconsin. 

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24677365

Curious....are you experiencing (or have you experienced) video issues?

The video issues that I've had don't necessarily coincide with the audio issues (I have those as well). They have included quick freezes, skips and awkward sudden motions in the video that are difficult to describe.

Sometimes it's subtle, other times it's pronounced. Regardless.....it's an ongoing problem that numerous others here have reported.....and it appears to not have been addressed in 106R!.....which is a major disappointment!!
BTW.....In my case these problems (both audio and video) occur whether I'm recording one show or two. It's relative to the playback and appears frequently when I'm simply playing back a recording (with no recording taking place at the same time).

No, I'm not experiencing any video issues. I had (with 103R) seen some video stutters when a recording in the background started or stopped, but that was it. I had also experienced the "blinking display" issue when watching live programming. I haven't seen any video issues so far with 106R. I've only experienced the audio dropouts when something is recording in the background while I play a recorded program.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganman  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24679103

Cnet has a review up: http://www.cnet.com/products/channel-master-dvr-plus/

For what its worth, CM says it will be adding the option of recording only new episodes soon (via their facebook page).
As you knew, when complained to them about EPG issues... they are just a middleman between us and ROVI, e*. They will tell you many things, but all of them must be executed by e* or ROVI.

I don't trust CM statements/promises here.

·
Registered
409 Posts
From CNet-

While live TV always played back smoothly, recordings occasionally had some issues. Every once in a while, there would video playback glitches that looked like dropped frames or stuttering on recorded programs. Initially the glitches seemed like they might be reception issues, but I ruled that out by playing back the same sections again and seeing the glitches disappear. Perhaps it's an issue with the hard drive I was using (a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex), but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24679200

From CNet-

While live TV always played back smoothly, recordings occasionally had some issues. Every once in a while, there would video playback glitches that looked like dropped frames or stuttering on recorded programs. Initially the glitches seemed like they might be reception issues, but I ruled that out by playing back the same sections again and seeing the glitches disappear. Perhaps it's an issue with the hard drive I was using (a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex), but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.

I found that quite interesting as well....

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I obtained this list during the testing cycle of 106R (before it was even called 106R). I cannot vouch that everything on this list was actually fixed. It is posted for your information -- and of course for some of you to endlessly ***** about.

Firmware 106R changelog/bug list

Guide & ROVI
  • Improvements to handle field issues seen with ROVI data (better handling of bad data to fall back to PSIP if channel data is inconsistent)
  • General improvements to the robustness of EPG data
  • Fix an issue where PSIP data was not being searched when ROVI data was being used. So that all events can be returned for search and timers.

Networking: Wi-Fi Setup
  • Improvements to the server scan screen. Signal quality is now shown for visible networks with continual update.
  • Changed menu name "Connection Settings" to "Advanced Settings".
  • In "Wireless Connection Settings", replaced "Network Setup" with "Scan" and "Manual Setup".
  • We now show a bar instead of quality text.
  • We’ve limited the size of SSID that can be entered to 32 characters.
  • Limited WEP passwords to 26 characters. Limited WPA/WPA2 passwords to 64 characters. Catering for either ASCII or HEX entry (64 characters).
  • Resolved: If a user exits the network setup manual keyboard when displaying the foreign characters keys, when they again open it and try to change the keyboard to another, it goes blank.
  • Remove the need to enter a password for an open wireless network.

DVR and Timers
  • Speculative fix issue seen where recordings are made on the wrong service due to tuner re-allocation to get guide data.
  • Make recording LED dim Red in standby.
  • It was possible for the channel change clash popup could show the wrong event names.
  • Allow manual edit of timers so that the user can edit individual instances (of repeats) and store the result.

System Time
  • Use NTP (network time) as highest priority time source for auto setting if available.
  • Manual time now sets & uses the real time clock as top priority time source once entered until AC cycle, storing offsets to PSIP time.
  • Fixed issue where incorrect manual offset could be applied after a power cycle
  • Improvements made to setting the seconds of manual time by the user. Seconds are cleared when entering time in the time/date & install wizard menus, but not when setting the date or daylight savings.

Stability & Storage
  • Prevent factory reset locking up if many timers have been set up on the receiver.

Manual Scan
  • Previously deleted channels will now get added back in from a manual scan.

Install wizard
  • Entry of Canadian Postal Codes via Wizard didn’t have space between groups.
  • Time zone is now pre-initialised based on the first digits of zipcode entered.

AV
  • Fix Frequency response "White levels" issues.
  • SPDIF audio was not muted when recording in standby.
  • Fix a potential cause of video flicker during 59.94 -> 60Hz transitions (potentially around trailers).

Closed Captions
  • Implemented a preview of what the captions would look like as the user changes text style, size & color.
  • Resolve issues which could lead to closed captions being delayed or in advance of AV.

HDMI
  • Prevent interference with CEC with other devices on device selection.

·
Registered
40 Posts

After reading all 114 pages (whew!) I decided to join so I could thank all those who have shared their problems. My PAL has starting showing its age and I was hoping this was the replacement for it (after trying the PHD-VRX and Mediasonic 150). I was really hoping the 106 update would change the pre and post recording time to be selectable like the PAL (and I assume the CM7000). Im beginning to think the folks at CM have never seen a PAL because it would have provided a solid base to build on and they wouldnt be out reinventing the wheel now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can verify that the manual scan will add back channels erased now. I just tried where a subchannel was deleted and it added the subchannel back....

That's all so far that I checked.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24679448

I obtained this list during the testing cycle of 106R (before it was even called 106R). I cannot vouch that everything on this list was actually fixed. It is posted for your information -- and of course for some of you to endlessly ***** about.

Firmware 106R changelog/bug list

(See Kelson's  post #3414  for the complete list)

Thanks to Kelson for this. It's a impressive list of bug fixes and hopefully CM addressed most if not all of them. It shows they are keeping track of issues reported to them and attempting to make the needed improvements. And, it's good to know which issues were being addressed with this update and which were not.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The FW versions, updates, changes, bugs coming from e*, not CM; CM is just passing some (what they count as important) to Eldon's ppl.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24679675

Im beginning to think the folks at CM have never seen a PAL because it would have provided a solid base to build on and they wouldnt be out reinventing the wheel now.

......Bear in mind that the R&D for the DVR+ originates from the same source as the DTVpal DVR!

......yes, indeed, they have reinvented the wheel (inappropriately so)!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3390#post_24679200

From CNet-

Perhaps Matthew Moskovciak (CNET reviewer) didn't have his unit in use for a long enough period of time to realize that these "glitches" can be far more than simply a minor annoyance and can often occur repeatedly during the same show!!

It remains a mystery of sorts that these "glitches" are (mostly.....if not all) gone when you review and replay the same portion of the recording!!

......Perhaps they're actually still there and are being "buffered" out when you review and replay?......

If this is truly the case, couldn't this same buffering technology be implemented during "live" TV and recordings?......which in effect would prevent these glitches from being seen in the first place!.....of course, ideally they shouldn't be occurring.....but if they're removed during playback.....who cares!
BTW.....with all due respect to Matthew Moskovciak, they DO occur during "live" TV!!.....

It's odd that he didn't see them!

Just as a point of reference......

In all likelihood his unit was running 103R but it's possible that it was during the101R time frame.

It would be interesting to know for sure, as people have insisted that these "glitches" started with 103R.
Regardless.....I appreciate the fact that he made mention of it on his review (obviously my complaints are legit!).

......Hopefully the engineers will make a "fix" for this problem a priority!!

3401 - 3420 of 18083 Posts