AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 18271 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Apparently, very few of you have ever dealt with Dish Network dvr's before. They actually REBOOT every single night on schedule, looking for firmware updates AND to clear up problems such as slow guide, slow remote syndrome, wacky guide issues, and the like. It's VERY common for them to have these issues almost every day, and without the reboot each night, they can drive you to distraction with odd things. Since 2006 I have owned a VIP622, and the last 1.5 years a VIP722k. They both have acted up many times with that sort of issues, though the much older VIP622 is far worse.

Could be memory holes, wonky Dish firmware, it could be a lot of things, but that's life with a Dish dvr, which is what this DVR+ is.

I can almost guarantee you that things of this nature will remain a problem forever, as long as Dish engineers are involved in tweaking the firmware. The VIP receivers have been around for years, and stuff of this sort has NEVER been completely fixed. People just learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24689882

Apparently, very few of you have ever dealt with Dish Network dvr's before.

I had the DTVPal, and it never did this. I've had the DVR+ for a few months now, and it didn't do this until the last firmware update. Being dismissive of people conferring to see if there is a pattern doesn't help.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24687165

I'm hardwired in, and my guide is instant, was never that fast before 106R.
I'm hardwired and my guide is instant, but I have also deleted any channels that I do not watch or any channels that I do not get a solid or ify signal on.

I know that before I deleted any weak signals, if I tried to see if it would come in, that the DVR would hesitate or freeze. By then your pushing buttons to try and get back to another strong channel. Thus the reason to just delete them.

This was also a recommendation by CM way back at the beginning in an reply to my email question concerning weak or not used stations being on the channel list.

Any stuttering that I have seen on a recorded show I can duplicate when I replay that section.

Any stuttering on live viewing thru the DVR+ I attribute to reception problems due to weather, wind, trees or the antenna moving, and that I would see on the TV as well.

The TV is less sensitive to these problems that what the DVR+ or the CM7400 is.

Just my thoughts and experience on my system.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsede  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24689902

I had the DTVPal, and it never did this. I've had the DVR+ for a few months now, and it didn't do this until the last firmware update. Being dismissive of people conferring to see if there is a pattern doesn't help.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to add to the discussion to say that these sorts of issues seem to be quite common with Dish satellite dvr's. I have been a member of SatelliteGuys for a very long time also, and issues like this are posted all the time by a varied group of people. So, I'm not just making this observation based on only what I have seen with my particular Dish dvr's.

I sure hope they get this tweaked to the point of being 100% perfect for everybody, however I am a realist, and that would be a miracle since even their mainstream dvr's continue to have odd issues. So I'd say people should keep pushing to get the things brought to CM's attention, BUT, should also try to figure out ways to work around the problems. If any can be figured out.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24689922

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to add to the discussion to say that these sorts of issues seem to be quite common with Dish satellite dvr's. I have been a member of SatelliteGuys for a very long time also, and issues like this are posted all the time by a varied group of people. So, I'm not just making this observation based on only what I have seen with my particular Dish dvr's.

I sure hope they get this tweaked to the point of being 100% perfect for everybody, however I am a realist, and that would be a miracle since even their mainstream dvr's continue to have odd issues. So I'd say people should keep pushing to get the things brought to CM's attention, BUT, should also try to figure out ways to work around the problems. If any can be figured out.

It's always possible it's the old IR problems. Narrow transmission width / range of remote transmitter, Narrow reception width / signal sensitivity of main unit receiver, interference from sunlight / halogen, etc. I would consider one of those systems where you replace one of the batteries with a special battery that turns the IR remote into a RF remote and communicates with a matching RF receiver that converts back to IR and flashes the main unit with a IR signal properly attached.

Might / might not solve your problem but I've never been a fan of IR, other than the easy programming to a Universal Remote.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use a UHF remote on my VIP722k, and it still gets a bit unresponsive/hesitant at times. IMO, it's some freak memory issue(s), that occur from time to time just like a computer running Windows. Though you are correct in that sometimes a uhf remote will work at the same time that the IR remote is being wonky.

You learn to deal with it, but it can piss you off sometimes.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24689922

This is not a "Dish Network satellite DVR" and it doesn't reboot every day. In fact, the DTVpal DVR (which the DVR+ is loosely based on) didn't reboot every day!

Let's not make assumptions, please!

Let's focus on this design and what can be done (hopefully) to make it more functional.....and less frustrating!!
BTW..... a good number of the FW "tweaks" should have been incorporated from the outset (but let's not lose sight of the fact that this unit wasn't truly ready to go on sale)!!

·
Registered
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24690054

This is not a "Dish Network DVR" and it doesn't reboot every day. In fact, the DTVpal DVR (which the DVR+ is loosely based on) didn't reboot every day!

!!

Just my point, it doesn't reboot everyday, but maybe it SHOULD. Also, it is NOT based on the DTVpal unit, but it's based on a British Dish Network receiver.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMc  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24690029

It's always possible it's the old IR problems. Narrow transmission width / range of remote transmitter, Narrow reception width / signal sensitivity of main unit receiver, interference from sunlight / halogen, etc. I would consider one of those systems where you replace one of the batteries with a special battery that turns the IR remote into a RF remote and communicates with a matching RF receiver that converts back to IR and flashes the main unit with a IR signal properly attached.

Might / might not solve your problem but I've never been a fan of IR, other than the easy programming to a Universal Remote.

If this "sluggishness" is part and parcel of the new FW version, than the "old IR problems" are irrelevant!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24689882

Could be memory holes, wonky Dish firmware, it could be a lot of things, but that's life with a Dish dvr, which is what this DVR+ is.

I can almost guarantee you that things of this nature will remain a problem forever, as long as Dish engineers are involved in tweaking the firmware. The VIP receivers have been around for years, and stuff of this sort has NEVER been completely fixed. People just learn to deal with it.

Sorry for perhaps misinterpreting you.....

However, you seemed to make the point that, even with the daily reboots, the Dish DVR's still have the same issues (that have "NEVER been completely fixed")!

I'm not in denial. Nor am I defending the

DVR + (as others here are quite aware of).

......Just trying to be (very) cautiously optimistic that these units will one day actually be ready to use (without having to pull the hair out of your head)!!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3270#post_24650143

Wouldn't it be a nice (and perfectly normal) feature that, when a show finishes playing back, you could simply delete it at that point.....rather than have to survey the list of recordings (which could be listed in folders and even on another page somewhere)!!

Who's brilliant idea was it to not provide the option to delete a recording when playback ends?.....What were they thinking??!!

Agree 100%! This is incredibly annoying, along with being UNABLE to simply record a repeating show in one time slot without having to m-a-n-u-a-l-l-y give it a name, and losing the time padding buffers!

·
Registered
663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24690168

Sorry for perhaps misinterpreting you.....

However, you seemed to make the point that, even with the daily reboots, the Dish DVR's still have the same issues (that have "NEVER been completely fixed")!

I'm not in denial. Nor am I defending the

DVR + (as others here are quite aware of).

......Just trying to be (very) cautiously optimistic that these units will one day actually be ready to use (without having to pull the hair out of your head)!!

Yes, exactly. The daily reboots do clear up the odd issues for a period of time, but never permanently.

I really do equate it to a Windows computer acting up odder and odder the longer it's been on, and a reboot is always the first thing to try to see if that problem goes away. It usually does work.

I'm with you, I'd like to dump Dish completely and go full OTA with a dvr. I waited for this DVR+ hoping it would be it. I've been researching for over a year, and haven't yet found a ota dvr I'd trust to switch to as my sole device (I have a wife that's hopelessly befuddled by anything electronic that needs babysitting). The closest seems to be a Tivo, but I continue to hope and wait a bit longer to see if something else can get to the 99% trustworthy point. It hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Email to CM

sluggish and non responsive to guide and function button press after the new 106 update.. Very frustrating How can you fix this please!!

Hello,

Sometimes old errors and bugs can stick to the hard drive when upgrading the software. The best thing to do is to perform a factory reset to clean out anything like that. Below are the steps:

Menu>Settings>Factory Reset> Then wait for it complete. Also, if you are connected to the internet, wait about 15 minutes after connecting to the internet for your guide to download completely.

This will take care of that lag and everything should run great. Thank you and have a great day.

Channel Master

Technical Support

1-877-746-7261 Ext:3

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's should be pinned to a wall of shame !

"bugs can stick to the hard drive"

Told yeah many times ! the CM ppl is just ... well is not, actually they are nothing.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3450#post_24690213

Yes, exactly. The daily reboots do clear up the odd issues for a period of time, but never permanently.

I really do equate it to a Windows computer acting up odder and odder the longer it's been on, and a reboot is always the first thing to try to see if that problem goes away. It usually does work.

I'm with you, I'd like to dump Dish completely and go full OTA with a dvr. I waited for this DVR+ hoping it would be it. I've been researching for over a year, and haven't yet found a ota dvr I'd trust to switch to as my sole device (I have a wife that's hopelessly befuddled by anything electronic that needs babysitting). The closest seems to be a Tivo, but I continue to hope and wait a bit longer to see if something else can get to the 99% trustworthy point. It hasn't happened yet.

If the DTVpal didn't lose it's TVGOS (and the somewhat complicated method of upgrading the HDD) it would still be the worthiest OTA DVR contender!.....assuming that it were still being produced!

Unfortunately. In terms of (many aspects of the) design and (overall) functionality.....the DVR+ is a mess!!

·
Registered
12,890 Posts

Quote:

I'm not trying to be dismissive, I am trying to add to the discussion to say that these sorts of issues seem to be quite common with Dish satellite dvr's.
I had a Dish ViP722 for roughly three years... zero issues.

Reactions: frankkasten

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3420#post_24688502

Are you able to go into the channel editor and remove the channels that you don't watch (and which don't have Rovi data). I am suspicious that delays in the guide response are connected to the DVR+ having to acquire PSIP data for channels that are in the list but don't have good Rovi guide data available. 106R attempts to make better use of PSIP data to compensate for bad or missing Rovi data and offer a complete guide. PSIP data is station dependent so every user may have a different acquisition experience for their specific locale. Eliminating channels in your list that you don't watch and which depend on PSIP seems reasonable and may positively impact guide performance.

Just my suggestion to try - no guarantees.

I think your on the right track. It sounds like a processing issue, with the CPU is getting bogged down trying to deal with all the guide data channel by channel. The more channels you have in your guide, the more processing there is to do, so it makes sense to delete any unused channels to see if that helps. There could be issues getting the data channel by channel for PSIP stations, but there is also considerably more data to process on Rovi channels. My Rovi channels have 2 weeks of data verses only 12 hours of data for PSIP channels. I'm still not getting guide updates on several PSIP channels unless that channel is tuned.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillan  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3450#post_24690218

Hello,

Sometimes old errors and bugs can stick to the hard drive when upgrading the software. The best thing to do is to perform a factory reset to clean out anything like that. Below are the steps:

Menu>Settings>Factory Reset> Then wait for it complete. Also, if you are connected to the internet, wait about 15 minutes after connecting to the internet for your guide to download completely.

This will take care of that lag and everything should run great. Thank you and have a great day.

Channel Master

Technical Support

1-877-746-7261 Ext:3

That's pretty bad tech talk, even for first level support. If anything is getting cleaned out with a factory reset, it's the RAM in the DVR+ CPU, not what's on the hard drive used for recording. But yes, if in doubt, try a reset and see if it helps.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3450#post_24690275

That's should be pinned to a wall of shame !

"bugs can stick to the hard drive"

Clearly you didn't know that bugs are like gremlins: they like to lurk, especially on empty HDDs.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3450#post_24690583

Clearly you didn't know that bugs are like gremlins: they like to lurk, especially on empty HDDs.

Next thing you know they'll be suggesting that we call in an exterminator!

3441 - 3460 of 18271 Posts